lens..

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
switched my camera (sony a200) on yesterday to take a quick pic of my partners new tattoo and it made some wierd clicking noises coming from the lens. it wouldn't let me take a pic at first but then it started working properly but again when i switched it off the lens started clicking. My gaurentee has ran out and i'm not sure if there is anywhere near newcastle that could look at it for me.

has anyone got any ideas on what it could be or where i could take it?

regards
kev

1. Has it happened again afterwards?
2. Does it exhibit the same behaviour with another lens?
3. Mount and remount the lens
4. makes sure the AF/MF switch is pushed firmly towards AF
5. Does your lens have a AF/MF on it, then see above
6. Give the lens a wee shake to see if there are any loose parts.
7. what lens was this?

it happens all the time now when i switch it on and off and when i change the settings to 'auto'

i gave it a shake and nothing seems to be rattling but the clicking sounds like the gears/cogs or whatever it is on the autofocus.. if that makes sense

its the sony 18-70 standard lens

Do you have another lens to try, first thing is first you'll need to eliminate whether the actual lens or body is at thought.

If not use an electric flat head screwdriver and turn the recessed screw slot on the lens' mount. If this doesnt move/drive the focus mechanism freely the problem will be with the lens, if not likely to be the drive motor in the camera

Hi Kevin,

Sounds to me like it is auto focussing, dheck your settings. I remember being in one setting on, I think my D300 and it was continually trying to auto focus and the VR was clicking away. Once I changed the set up all was well.

Regards

Chris

its the auto focus on the lens thats clicking away like mad, haven't got another lens to try out so i took a screwdriver to it and i could feel and hear it click away as i turned the screw.. it works fine on manual focus but still makes the clicking noises when switched on.

time to save for a new lens me thinks.. haha

thanks for all the help and advice..

kev

Back