Lenses for Nikon D-90

Name
ssf
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I have the 35mm for low light and the 18-200 for nature and outdoors in general

Question 1

Am i right to say that with the 35mm, i am OK. Is it worth buying 50mm or another FX option. If yes which one. I would need it mainly for close range in the evening, night... maybe a portrait

Question 2

What affordable FX option do I have for the 18-200 / or a DX option. I just have the impression I have not sharpness enough. I like to shoot mainly mountains, landscape, beaches and the sea

My thoughts:

There is this famous 135 mm with defocus - it is sharp and for both portraits and landscape... but it is expensive

What if my budget is limited to £300-400

I can't really comment on Question 2 but with regard to the 35mm, it is a fantastic lens in itself. Is it worth buying the 50mm? I don't know - it is also a great lens but do you need more reach for your night time / portrait shots? Only you know that. Also not sure why you are interested in an FX option when you have a DX body (unless you are planning to change). I can't see any specific benefit that an FX lens can bring to a DX set-up.

The 35mm is an excellent lens; The 18-200 isn't bad, but certainly compromises will have been made for the extreme zoom. A good options to look at would be the 16-85 VR or 18-105 VR, [aired with 70-300 VR or 55-300 vr

I don't think it is worth getting the 50mm, if you want a prime to use with the D90, then have a look at a used 85mm f1.8 for portraits. Also not sure about q2. I have a d90 and use the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc for Portraits, have also got a 28-105 which works well and is also a FF lens and finally a 70-210 F4 which works well for portraits but as it do not have VC and is an old lens you need to ensure you have a fast Shutter Speed.

The 50mm 1.4 D was my most used lens on my D90 - a perfect short tele/portrait lens. For me the 85mm was too long for general use on DX.
The other lens I used a lot was the 70-300mm VR - heavy but good (and a great combo with the 35mm 1.8).
Both above lenses are FX.

Back