Beginner Lenses that fit my Canon

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
As it says I look on camera lens shop websites and all the lenses have different names canon Efs or m series and some look the same but very different prices.

Can anyone explain or point me in the direction to a guide when looking for lenses for my canon eos d2000 what will fit?

Thanks

EF/EFS will fit, however EF lenses are for larger sensor cameras (in general), or the more professional range of camera e.g 5 or 1 series.
EFS lenses will work just fine with your camera.
I think Canon do M and R series now as well, ignore those they are for the mirrorless range of bodies.

EF/EFS will fit, however EF lenses are for larger sensor cameras (in general), or the more professional range of camera e.g 5 or 1 series.
EFS lenses will work just fine with your camera.
I think Canon do M and R series now as well, ignore those they are for the mirrorless range of bodies.
Thanks mate

so I should just look out for Efs in the description?

EF can be fitted to any Canon dSLR or EOS film SLR
EF-S are lenses specifically tuned for the slight difference in x1.6 crop dSLRs. They shouldn't be used on full frame cameras.

EF-M and EF-R are different mounts and won't fit your camera.

Summary - EF / EF-S lenses only. Don't ignore EF lenses, The best performing Canon lenses are often EF fit - eg their 'L' series.

An EF-S lens is designed for use on crop sizes sensor cameras, the **D, ***D and ****D ranges, they usually has a bit more on the back of the lens that intrudes into the body of the camera, not a problem with the small mirror of a crop size camera but any attempt to fit one to a full frame camera could cause serious mirror damage.

As said EF lenses will fit all full frame and crop frame cameras and include everything from amertur spec lenses through to pro lenses.

As an add on to what has already been said, if you look at Sigma lenses then DC = EF-S fit and DG = EF fit

Sorry I don't know what the different codes are on Tamron lenses

IIRC "Di II" is Tamron's designation for crop lenses (equivalent to EF-S).

Thanks all still tricky to get my head around being a newbie to photography and cameras

My camera then is a crop size camera? And I don’t need full frame lenses?

Guys, bear in mind Rick is a newbie his camera is a Canon D2000, so I dont really think EF L series lenses are going to be in his budget, I could be wrong but lets not over burden him just yet.

Guys, bear in mind Rick is a newbie his camera is a Canon D2000, so I dont really think EF L series lenses are going to be in his budget, I could be wrong but lets not over burden him just yet.
Budgets ok, I’m being sensible. I can do most things with my kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 but as I want to get into more landscape photography I want a good starter lens for that.

Got my eye on the 14mm 2.8 samyang lens I think there are some sites with it around 250 pound on offer

Re the Samyang I noticed this

"This is a brilliant budget wide angle lens. Please note that this lens is completely manual and would not communicate with your camera. It is, therefore, very essential that you are proficient in DSLR photography before thinking of getting this. If you have an external stabiliser on your camera, you could also use this for your videos and you will have very good results. Note to Lightroom users, this lens does not have a profile on Lightroom; you will need to download a profile or build one yourself if you know how. Please check the photos I managed to capture with this lens. "

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-2-8-UMC-Wide-angle-Lens/dp/B004CS2VMQ?th=1

If you look on MPB they have Canon 10-18 and 10-22 EF-S lenses for £169-199 and Sigma 10-20mm EF-S fit for104-119
Either will do you as a wide angle lens for your camera without breaking the bank.
Can't comment on the Canon but I had the sigma on a 40D and a 7D and it was fine.

if youre still struggling with deciding what to go for i know that canon actually has a live chat where you can talk to their experts about the lens options youre lookng at

What about something in the tokina at-x range ? Would they be ok?

As it says I look on camera lens shop websites and all the lenses have different names canon Efs or m series and some look the same but very different prices.

Can anyone explain or point me in the direction to a guide when looking for lenses for my canon eos d2000 what will fit?

Thanks

Hi Rick

Can you just confirm that your camera is in fact the Canon EOS 2000D ?

Why do I ask that, well the Canon D2000 is in camera terms a digital antique that was introduced in 1998. NB though a crop sensor it explicitly had the EF mount........i.e. the 'design' predates EF-S variant lenses.

All the good advice above is based on folk surmising that you have the EOS 2000D ;)

Sorry to nitpick :)

Last edited:
Back