Lenses

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all new here only my second post so please be gentle with me and not to technical, as you will totally lose me:LOL:

Im a complete novice to DSLR infact i havent even got my camera yet, getting one just after christmas, im after a Canon 400D.

I intend to use the camera for mainly wildlife, running dogs and portrait shots.

So what im after is some advice on lenses and what i need to look out for when buying one or two. I carnt aford to go to top end but at the same time i dont want some cheap rubbish either, im just looking for a general idea of what middle of the road lenses are available for my requirements, also i dont mind having second hand if the right one came along.

Many thanks in advance
Jack

Right first up get use to using the kit lens & your 400D first before buying anything

Then later on consider getting a 50mm 1.8Mk II brilliant little prime lens for around £59 & also the new Canon 55-250mm IS for around £220 for ya wildlife shots also buy a hood to as Canon don't give them away for free on Standard lenses

The kit lens will treat you fine for the occassional landscape shot you might feel like doing.
Get a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Its an absolutely smashing portrait lens, and good for just about anything else.

Another good value lens you might want to get is the Sigma APO DG 70-300mm Macro.
Its a pretty good telephoto lens for the money, and I've got some pretty good shots with it.

rumours that 450d due out feb,
expect 400d price to drop further?

Cheers for the tips folks, i had already noticed info about the 450d so was going to wait and watch the price drop on the 400D. most of my shots will be wildlife and my running dogs, hence me wanting to get a half decent lens for that side of things.

regards
Jack

cheers for that mate but they are lurchers (whippet cross) out in the fields working so i dought they will run in straight lines, i may be able to get them when we go lure coursing as thats a set out course. but i also want to try and get them at there best is out in the countryside doing what they do best. I understand they will never be brilliant photo's that ive seen on this forum, but i just want better ones than im taking at the moment with my little fuji finepix, as ive seen the result of what this camera is capable of producing on working dogs out in the field, and also the wildlife that i come across on a daily basis.

Regards
Jack

Back