Lensmaster RH-2 vs Benro GH2 vs Wimberley Mk 1

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a gimbal to take a Nikon D7200 and 200-500mm lens. Bit under 3kg. For wildlife.
Probably going to buy used to save money.
I've heard good things about these. Would all three do a good job?
Lensmaster RH-2
Benro GH2
Wimberley Mk 1

Hi, Lensmaster RH-2 any good? I don't no but I bought one from this forum used but as I live in Greece I have not seen it as yet, BUT!!! after looking around I thought for the price and the fact that you can by the looks of it maintain it with instructions and spare parts from a UK based firm it seemed a very good option, I also read a review from a user from Australia and he praised it. Sure someone else here who has used these will give the low down. Russ.

Wimberley Mk 1 all day long ... I had one at a great price and it knocked spots off of any other gimbal I had tried.

I've used a lensmaster for a few years.
Got it on here used.
Works fine for me. I used it with my D7000 and 150-600mm.
Never tried any others.

I suspect the issue with this question is very few people having tried some/them all to actually compare. I'm happy with my Benro GH2 (recently upgraded from a GH1) but I've never touched a Wemberley to comment on how the more expensive lineup compares.

I have the Lensmaster and used it with a 7D2 + Sigma 150-600mm C lens and with my 400mm DO mk2 and although not heavy kit by 500/600 prime standards it works a treat with fluid movement and a solid bit of kit, I think I paid £185 new

Had a couple of Manfrotto 393's (may even have one still lying about !!) & that was fine but got the option of a Wim mk2. Now that is amazing...
The 393's will do the job just fine - used it with a 400 2.8 & x2 tele.

I use the Benro GH2 and have been really pleased with the way it works. Take your time in the comfort of home to set up the balance and then out in the field it is superb, I find it it pans nice and freely plus it’s easy to lock it off as well. It got a heavy workout recently when I took it to Wyoming and Montana and it performed without issue.

I did have a try with a Wimberley mk2 and whilst it felt great I couldn’t justify the extra £££’s

I use the Benro GH2 and have been really pleased with the way it works. Take your time in the comfort of home to set up the balance and then out in the field it is superb, I find it it pans nice and freely plus it’s easy to lock it off as well. It got a heavy workout recently when I took it to Wyoming and Montana and it performed without issue.

I did have a try with a Wimberley mk2 and whilst it felt great I couldn’t justify the extra £££’s

Interesting, I've actually just posted a message in the wanted section for a Gimbal and those were the 2 I had in mind.

I actually had a GH2 but used it all of once probably so didn't really find out how it performed. How smooth is it, I need smooth for both video and still. I used my 200-600 on a Gitzo ballhead today and although weight wasn't an issue it had a lot of vibration from slightest movement.

I mainly use mine for stills, with 500mm on it and found it smooth in panning. My problem when away was the Manfrotto tripod it was fixed to caused some vibration (limitations on flight baggage denied taking something better). For the price (I picked it up when it was on discount, plus a show model which reduced the price further) I am very happy with it for my needs. It is certainly worth a try if you get an opportunity.

I'm actually also considering the SIRUI PH-20 which seems to have good reviews, anyone used one of those?

Well, after all that I have just bought a Neewer gimbal. It appears to be very well made with solid construction and controls. However, as all the reviews state the movement is very stiff out of the box due to the very thick/gummy grease the manufacturer uses.
I replaced the grease with some ordinary auto grease I had in the garage. About a twenty minutes job. It now has a very smooth single-finger movement and it's easy to get balanced so it stays it whatever position it's left in.

Time will tell how it lasts, but so far very happy for £60 new.

For the amount of use it gets I find the Neewer one works well for me. Unless it's given some serious abuse (which I never do) I can't see any reason it should let me down. I always use a safety lanyard when the camera is tripod mounted anyway.

For the £40.00 it cost me; I consider it very good value.

I've had it about a year now with no issues . . .

Well, after all that I have just bought a Neewer gimbal. It appears to be very well made with solid construction and controls. However, as all the reviews state the movement is very stiff out of the box due to the very thick/gummy grease the manufacturer uses.
I replaced the grease with some ordinary auto grease I had in the garage. About a twenty minutes job. It now has a very smooth single-finger movement and it's easy to get balanced so it stays it whatever position it's left in.

Time will tell how it lasts, but so far very happy for £60 new.
Hi, You may find this handy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNjpgb9kIc
Russ.

Reactions: Sky
Interesting video - thanks for that. :)

I must have got lucky as I have none of those issues with mine, but it's nice to know that they're easily fixed if (more than likely when) they do occur. (y)

88597.jpg

Hi, You may find this handy.

Russ.

Thanks Russ. I had viewed that video before. Like Trevor I haven't had those problems. The adaptor supplied fits flush and the tightening adjusters work very well. Possibly Neewer have updated the gimbal or perhaps I was lucky.

Back