Review Lenspen Sensorklear

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Picked this up at a local shop today and was eager to test it due to my faith in the original lenspen.

PRODUCT_2.jpg

I placed a regular lenspen alongside so you can see how slender it is in comparison.

I have used the wet & dry sensor swabs in the past and I wasn't blown away but then it should also be known right away that I am not the most patient person in the history of the world...:D

My 20D has probably not seen a sensor swab in the last 10 months - say one year - and I change lenses often in what I deem to be the best place at the time as location dictates.

This was the sensor before cleaning:

BEFORE2.jpg

For those folks who have possibly not done it yet, this is a 800 x 533 px crop of the whole image after having applied Auto levels in CS3.

What impressed me about the sensor pen was the rounded triangular applicator/cleaning tip.

TIP.jpg

So I had a go at it, mindful to the fact that sensors can be damaged and not particularly wanting to join the club of another distinguished member here...:LOL:

Obviously this was not my first sensor clean, but I was a bit concerned for this being a totally dry process.

After a few wipes in both vertical and horizontal directions I replaced the lens eager to see results...

1ST.jpg

Well let's just say I wasn't blown away...the earth didn't move this time for me either, darling...

By the 4th time I achieved this:

4TH.jpg

A particular gripe with this product is that, despite the slender appearance, you cannot quite get into the corners.

Well I could not and I really tried WITH some patience

Also, in the 20D chamber there are some protruding little plastic bits and bobs which make it no easier to get to the vertical sides of the sensor. I would imagine they have something to do with the mirror mechanism.

This might surely differ from camera to camera but after a sneek peek into my 350 body I am (un)happy to report that it also has those protruding bits.

Even despite the offending bits it is still nearly impossible (for me at least:D) to get perfectly good contact of the cleaning tip in the corners of the sensor.

See here:

CLEANING_2.jpg

I am rather sure that the corner situation can also be seen in the sensor images.

Oh and DO NOT use the little brush on the sensor!!!:nono:

VERDICT:

It is dog cheap.

I paid a hundred bucks for it and this should translate to about seven or eight quid.

If you are in a really tight fix for a sensor clean then, for sure, they are better than nothing and will get a fair job done.

If the result you want is that perfectly spotless sensor for f/32 landscapes...

Then this is maybe not the answer to your prayers.

They recommend a maximum of 50 cleans and I think this is a bit overly enthusiastic.

I will most likely buy one or two more and toss one in every bag for that unforeseen need.

Bottom line is that I am not bowled over but judge for yourself.

Hope this can help somebody.

I chickened out last year cleaning my sensor so took it to Nikon in Kingston. They did it very quickly, charged me £25 but it came back as clean as a whistle!

Bloody hell AR - thats utter danglies without a hint of a dog! You sure they didn't mean you had to do it 50 times before you got a decent return on your labours?

Rocket blower / arctic butterfly / swabs / rocket blower. Sucks, costs the earth, but works. If you want to fly me out i'll provide the kit and do the work ;) :D

I chickened out last year cleaning my sensor so took it to Nikon in Kingston. They did it very quickly, charged me £25 but it came back as clean as a whistle!

25 quid:eek:

:LOL:

What can you do with 25 quid in the U.K. in real terms?

Like movies or dining out or whatever.

Thanks for the feedback guys!(y)

Only a pleasure:D

Bloody hell AR - thats utter danglies without a hint of a dog! You sure they didn't mean you had to do it 50 times before you got a decent return on your labours?

Rocket blower / arctic butterfly / swabs / rocket blower. Sucks, costs the earth, but works. If you want to fly me out i'll provide the kit and do the work ;) :D

:LOL::LOL:(y):clap:

If your passport is ready I'll get the beers on ice 'n keep the whisky cold...

Aahh danng, You Poms don't drink yer beer cold do ya:rules:

Cheers JR!(y)

Nice review Anton. Keep up the good work. I won't buy it eather.

Dave

Shall I bring my glue spreader spatulas and pec pads to SA next month Anton?

;)

Shall I bring my glue spreader spatulas and pec pads to SA next month Anton?

;)

Would be much appreciated if you'll be so kind Squire.

That is if I can afford your labour rate, of course:naughty:(y)

....Good job i didn't buy one of these today! Great review, thanks.

Iv just taken delivery of Dust Aid.. i didnt get on with sensor wipes!! lol..

Should be ok for mirror cleaning I expect, but I still don't think you can beat the sensor swab/eclipse fluid method for getting the sensor glass properly and safely clean.

Should be ok for mirror cleaning I expect, but I still don't think you can beat the sensor swab/eclipse fluid method for getting the sensor glass properly and safely clean.

No, not really.

The only thing it should really work well for would be the viewfinder windows and that is about it.

O.K. P&S front elements and viewfinders too...

Nice review Anton.

i was seriously considering purchasing one of these

not any more

thanks

yukioMishima

I got one to use on a 30D sensor which I don't think had been cleaned since I got it. After the first use of a rocket blower and then the SensorKlear it had got rid of some of the worst offending dust, and just moved the rest around to the edges of the sensor. After repeating the entire process (including the rocket blower) 3 or 4 times though, I did end up with a spotless sensor. It might have been done quicker though had I got my head around the relationship of the dust on the test photo and where it was on the sensor.

Only a pleasure guys...glad it was of help(y)

My goodness I have forgotten even writing this review to start off with...I really should log on more often...

Cheers

I'm more than happy with the results I get from the SensorKleans. I find that the rounded triangle shape does allow me to get right into the corners of the sensor and the thing picks up all the crud that a rocket blower leaves behind. I treat them as a one shot solution for sensor cleaning, then I relegate them to lesser duties such as filters, screens and compact lenses. Mine came from 7day a few years ago - can't remeber how many for how much but they were cheap enough to give a try.

I treat them as a one shot solution for sensor cleaning, then I relegate them to lesser duties such as filters, screens and compact lenses.

Sounds about right...good to hear you get along with them...you obviously have WAY more patience than I do.:D

I got one of these from jessops as I didn't want to wait for an online delivery.

My sensor wasn't anywhere near as dirty as yours. It was just few specs. It took 4-5 tries to completely clean everything.

I agree it is probably not a perfect solution, but i was able to get good results combined with a blower....

Back