Leopard Cub

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Having just returned from South Africa, and seen some lovely animals, taken some nice pictures (well i think so) i thought i would share one with you all.

So sitting in the truck, was told we could use flash. Our driver got as close as he could.

Our target was 3 lively cubs with mum and a kill for dinner under some bushes, this is the best one i got.

The picture is unedited, and i welcome your comments.

Thank you.

IMG_3770.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John

Firstly what a sight to see...leopards in the wild was one I only heard never saw.

As for the image, I cannot see the EXIF but with flash would surmise min 1/60 shutter speed which is or should have been enough to freeze movement. However, sorry to say but you missed critical focus and there is apparent subject movement.

So a nice "I saw this leopard cub....." shot but IMO not a lot more than that

It would be great if you could give the EXIF data and also say what camera and lens.

Lastly, did the driver cut the engine (ours did) as doing so will cut vibration that can unsettle a steady shot.

Standard Information
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 40D
Software: Photos 1.0.1
ImageSize: 1024x683
ComponentsConfiguration: Y, Cb, Cr, -
CreateDate: 2015:08:04 17:08:33
ModifyDate: 2015:08:04 17:08:33
DateTimeOriginal: 2015:08:04 17:08:33
ExposureTime: 1/60"
Aperture: F3.2
MaxAperture: F2.7
CircleOfConfusion: 0.019 mm
HyperfocalDistance: 673.46 m
ExposureProgram: Program AE
ExposureBiasValue: -1/3
MeteringMode: Multi-segment
Flash: On, Fired
ISO: 400
WhiteBalance: Auto
FocalLength: 200.0 mm
FocalLength35efl: 200.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 323.8 mm)
ColorSpace: sRGB

GPS Information

Other Information
ApertureValue: 3.2
BitsPerSample: 8
BlueMatrixColumn: 0.14307 0.06061 0.7141
CMMFlags: Not Embedded, Independent
ColorComponents: 3
ColorSpaceData: RGB
ConnectionSpaceIlluminant: 0.9642 1 0.82491
CreatorTool: Photos 1.0.1
CurrentIPTCDigest: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
CustomRendered: Normal
DateCreated: 2015:08:04 17:08:33
DeviceAttributes: Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color
DeviceManufacturer: IEC
DeviceMfgDesc: IEC http://www.iec.ch
DeviceModel: sRGB
DeviceModelDesc: IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB
EncodingProcess: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
ExifByteOrder: Big-endian (Motorola, MM)
ExifImageHeight: 2592
ExifImageWidth: 3888
ExifVersion: 0221
ExposureMode: Auto
FNumber: 3.2
FOV: 6.4 deg
FileModifyDate: 2015:09:06 23:50:28+01:00
FileName: IMG_3770.jpg
FileSize: 202 kB
FileType: JPEG
Firmware: Firmware Version 1.1.1
FlashCompensation: 0
FlashpixVersion: 0100
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit: inches
FocalPlaneXResolution: 4438.355556
FocalPlaneYResolution: 4445.969231
GreenMatrixColumn: 0.38515 0.71687 0.09708
IPTCDigest: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
ImageHeight: 683
ImageWidth: 1024
JFIFVersion: 1.01
Lens: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
LensID: 224
LensInfo: 70/1 200/1 0/0 0/0
LightValue: 7.3
Luminance: 76.03647 80 87.12462
MaxApertureValue: 2.7
MeasurementBacking: 0 0 0
MeasurementFlare: 0.999%
MeasurementGeometry: Unknown (0)
MeasurementIlluminant: D65
MeasurementObserver: CIE 1931
MediaBlackPoint: 0 0 0
MediaWhitePoint: 0.95045 1 1.08905
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
PrimaryPlatform: Microsoft Corporation
ProfileCMMType: Lino
ProfileClass: Display Device Profile
ProfileConnectionSpace: XYZ
ProfileCopyright: Copyright (c) 1998 Hewlett-Packard Company
ProfileCreator: HP
ProfileDateTime: 1998:02:09 06:49:00
ProfileDescription: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
ProfileFileSignature: acsp
ProfileID: 0
ProfileVersion: 2.1.0
RedMatrixColumn: 0.43607 0.22249 0.01392
RenderingIntent: Perceptual
ResolutionUnit: inches
ScaleFactor35efl: 1.6
SceneCaptureType: Standard
SerialNumber: 410111928
ShutterSpeed: 1/60
ShutterSpeedValue: 1/64
SubSecCreateDate: 2015:08:04 17:08:33.01
SubSecDateTimeOriginal: 2015:08:04 17:08:33.01
SubSecModifyDate: 2015:08:04 17:08:33.01
SubSecTime: 01
SubSecTimeDigitized: 01
SubSecTimeOriginal: 01
Technology: Cathode Ray Tube Display
ViewingCondDesc: Reference Viewing Condition in IEC61966-2.1
ViewingCondIlluminant: 19.6445 20.3718 16.8089
ViewingCondIlluminantType: D50
ViewingCondSurround: 3.92889 4.07439 3.36179
XMPToolkit: XMP Core 5.4.0
XResolution: 72
YCbCrSubSampling: YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)

YResolution: 72

There you are BB

Last edited:
Wow, theres the data, there are some clever people about Lol

Thanks for the comment, yes engine was cut, they were all on the move.
Bare in mind it was pitch black and the tracker had his hand held search light and the 40d built in flash.
Subject was 6-8 meters away.

Wow, theres the data, there are some clever people about Lol

Thanks for the comment, yes engine was cut, they were all on the move.
Bare in mind it was pitch black and the tracker had his hand held search light and the 40d built in flash.
Subject was 6-8 meters away.

Yes, thanks to Bazza for extracting that data :)

Been a while since I had a 40D, however I think in Program AE the flash will (try to?) fire to expose for both subject and background which it does look like. Cannot recall the GN or the onboard flash but the distance you mention seems at or beyond it limit. Lastly, in that lack of light I surmise even with the vehicle searchlight the focus assist would have triggered and the more I look at the picture it looks like it focused on the dry brush slightly in front on the cub (look at the brush to the sides.....it looks that tad sharper. Were you using a single centre focus point or letting the camera select what it wanted to focus on???

Fantastic to be able to photograph a Leopard cub in the wild, I know nothing about the allowing of flash for these situations but from a purely image point of view I would prefer not to have the flash catch-lights in its eyes. At 1/60th and f3.2 there was never going to be much room for error in focus and depth of field so I think you did pretty well with what you had ... I don't know if you had more opportunities so it may have been a single chance.
I would have been happy to photograph it in the wild, a lovely experience :)

Wow. :wideyed: :rage:
I amazed that your tracker allowed the flash tbh.

There don't seem to bat an eyelid, they get spot lights shined on them all the time apparently!
This little feller was very inquisitive about the flash flickering at him/her and was coming ever closer to investigate then laid down.

Fantastic to be able to photograph a Leopard cub in the wild, I know nothing about the allowing of flash for these situations but from a purely image point of view I would prefer not to have the flash catch-lights in its eyes. At 1/60th and f3.2 there was never going to be much room for error in focus and depth of field so I think you did pretty well with what you had ... I don't know if you had more opportunities so it may have been a single chance.
I would have been happy to photograph it in the wild, a lovely experience :)

Thank you for your comment, we have some through the bushes, but there not that good.
It was a pass the camera moment, TBO i don't know the correct settings we should of used! P is a good allrounder i thought.
We had a few chances as it came out from under the bushes, manages 7 pictures within on more than 60 seconds, loads of time you would say! but someone with limited knowhow not enough lol
I like the picture, i know its not perfect but as you say the experience of seeing these animals in the wild is just fab.

We had a few chances as it came out from under the bushes, manages 7 pictures within on more than 60 seconds, loads of time you would say! but someone with limited knowhow not enough lol

Nope, I would probably be so excited at the opportunity of seeing it, let alone photographing it, that I would probably have forgotten all my knowledge and settings :)

I amazed that your tracker allowed the flash tbh.

Agreed.

Using white lights / camera flashes on both predators and prey at night is not good practice, degrading their night vision for some time.

Agreed.

Using white lights / camera flashes on both predators and prey at night is not good practice, degrading their night vision for some time.
Actually flash at night doesn't affect the night vision of any of the predators - I've been using flash on night safaris for years now and have never had any negative reactions from the animals. In my experience if an animal doesn't like any sort of light around (elephants, as an example, hate spotlights!) they will move off. I've fired a flash from my 600EX at a lioness in pitch darkness and had her look straight past the vehicle and focus immediately on a subject in the distance, indicating none of this "starry eyes" sensation we all get!

I tend to shoot on manual, 1/2 power, and at 160/1000 and f8 for best results.

Obviously, if a cat is hunting, no lights or flashes at all as it's not fair to artificially manipulate a hunt.

Nope, I would probably be so excited at the opportunity of seeing it, let alone photographing it, that I would probably have forgotten all my knowledge and settings :)

Yea its a bit like that. :)

Actually flash at night doesn't affect the night vision of any of the predators - I've been using flash on night safaris for years now and have never had any negative reactions from the animals. In my experience if an animal doesn't like any sort of light around (elephants, as an example, hate spotlights!) they will move off. I've fired a flash from my 600EX at a lioness in pitch darkness and had her look straight past the vehicle and focus immediately on a subject in the distance, indicating none of this "starry eyes" sensation we all get!

Obviously, if a cat is hunting, no lights or flashes at all as it's not fair to artificially manipulate a hunt.

I am glad someone has cleared that up, thanks Geoff
As you will know when the trackers come across nocturnal animals then turn off all the lights till they are passed! so saying to use a flash is ok as far as they are aware.
Thanks for the tip on exposure will remember that for next time.

Sorry John, don't want to take this OT, but...

Actually flash at night doesn't affect the night vision of any of the predators - I've been using flash on night safaris for years now...
Obviously you now do this as a job, but every safari I've been on (quite a few), using flash at night is strongly frowned upon, usually resulting in the (often local) trackers giving people a very strong telling off.

Flashes can cause retinal imprints which may last for a good few minutes, so no, not permanent, but not nice for the animals either.
I don't wish to be deliberately argumentative (we all have our own opinions on this), but I actually find it quite irresponsible.
Imagine 4, 5 or 6 cars (not unusual) all firing off flashes, usually with red-eye reduction at an animal that's just trying to avoid you, whilst it might not 'appear' to be affected, I'd be sure that it was.

I wasn't going to reply, but I'm wary of people searching for advice and finding this thread saying that it's completely acceptable to fire flashes at animals at night.
[rant over]

Obviously you now do this as a job, but every safari I've been on (quite a few), using flash at night is strongly frowned upon, usually resulting in the (often local) trackers giving people a very strong telling off.

Flashes can cause retinal imprints which may last for a good few minutes, so no, not permanent, but not nice for the animals either.
I don't wish to be deliberately argumentative (we all have our own opinions on this), but I actually find it quite irresponsible.
Imagine 4, 5 or 6 cars (not unusual) all firing off flashes, usually with red-eye reduction at an animal that's just trying to avoid you, whilst it might not 'appear' to be affected, I'd be sure that it was.

I wasn't going to reply, but I'm wary of people searching for advice and finding this thread saying that it's completely acceptable to fire flashes at animals at night.
[rant over]

What RacingSnake says!

As far as I am concerned, even if there is a modicum of doubt over whether or not camera flash has an impact (most likely only short term) on an animals night vision, it shouldn't be used.

Last edited:

I am glad someone has cleared that up, thanks Geoff
As you will know when the trackers come across nocturnal animals then turn off all the lights till they are passed! so saying to use a flash is ok as far as they are aware.
Thanks for the tip on exposure will remember that for next time.

[rant over]

What RacingSnake says!

As far as I am concerned, even if there is a modicum of doubt over whether or not camera flash has an impact (most likely only short term) an an animals night vision, it shouldn't be used.

Absence of an externalised physical reaction does not exclude the likelihood that there is a potentially marked impact of the use of flash on any animal at night. It is possible the big cats and other animals have become inured to the presence of vehicles and the flashing lights.....but to simplistically state there no negative effect without proper evidence to back it up is not very good. Yes Geoff and other safari leaders have allowed it for years but that does not make it either right or proper practice.

Absence of an externalised physical reaction does not exclude the likelihood that there is a potentially marked impact of the use of flash on any animal at night. It is possible the big cats and other animals have become inured to the presence of vehicles and the flashing lights.....but to simplistically state there no negative effect without proper evidence to back it up is not very good. Yes Geoff and other safari leaders have allowed it for years but that does not make it either right or proper practice.

Valid arguments from everyone... I only operate on private concessions and so there is never more than 1 vehicle present... ever. Also, first and foremost I'm a conservationist... my own, or my guests desire to get a photo will never come ahead of an animals comforts. Working with these animals day in and day out, I think I'm fairly atuned to be able to observe when they are uncomfortable with a situation. The moment there is any doubt I'll back off and leave the animal alone. (And to respond to your remark about "simplistically stating"... afraid that's not true... my choice to use flash and to allow my guests to use flash comes after numerous discussions with predator researchers across the continent. Everyone is in agreement that, if a wild animal does not like the situation it is in, it will leave the scene...)

Back