Lesbian wedding photos

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys i will be shooting a lesbian/gay wedding at the beginning of August and on Thursday I am meeting the happy couple for a pre wedding chat. It will be my first wedding so this chat is a chance for us to have a natter about what kind of pics the couple want from the day.

i was gonna put a series of examples together of wedding shots to give us all in idea of possible poses etc, howeever all the weddings i've seen have been typical Bride and Groom shots.

Just wondered if anyone here had any gay/lesbian wedding shots or advice on poses etc.

Cheers(y)

Colin did and he did what I would do, treat them like any couple, same sorts of poses really unless they have any specific requests or particularly want to avoid looking like a heterosexual wedding couple. This is where your pre-wedding chat will be invaluble in finding out what they want. Find out how they plan of dressing for the occasion as that might help you guage things too, even if it means a brief chat with each of them separately if they are planning to surprise each other in the clothing department.

Hi guys i will be shooting a lesbian/gay wedding at the beginning of August and on Thursday I am meeting the happy couple for a pre wedding chat. It will be my first wedding so this chat is a chance for us to have a natter about what kind of pics the couple want from the day.

i was gonna put a series of examples together of wedding shots to give us all in idea of possible poses etc, howeever all the weddings i've seen have been typical Bride and Groom shots.

Just wondered if anyone here had any gay/lesbian wedding shots or advice on poses etc.

Cheers(y)

I have an invite to one such wedding in early August, I wonder if it is the same one.

Any way have a look at this link for some great shots.

http://www.albedophotography.com.au/wedding-photos-at-swan-brewery-perth

i guess it depends who wears the dress, can't really have two brides can you? :shrug:

Need an assistant?! :thinking: Might be up that way early August!! (y)

Yeah I know your thinking, you dirty dirty man! I sincerely hope they are the "dungaree and DM" variety as opposed to "lipstick" variety.....:LOL:

i guess it depends who wears the dress, can't really have two brides can you? :shrug:

That's a good point.... in all seriousness. Never been to / photographed a gay/les wedding, I "assumed" probably wrongly would be more of a civil service as opposed to the big dress and the church kind of "tradional" wedding.... Yes I KNOW that is un PC , just my thinking....

I have an invite to one such wedding in early August, I wonder if it is the same one.

Any way have a look at this link for some great shots.

http://www.albedophotography.com.au/wedding-photos-at-swan-brewery-perth

Some great ideas and compostions... some appalling exposures there. (IMO) ;)

Yeah I know your thinking, you dirty dirty man! I sincerely hope they are the "dungaree and DM" variety as opposed to "lipstick" variety.....:LOL:

I meant nothing of the sort.....:cautious: Been there, done that!! ;)

All I was thinking is that I can help another TP'er in need, and bag some "Same-Sex" marriage photos for the portfolio while I'm at it.....everyones a winner!! (y)

other than you need needing to wear dungarees :LOL:

Cheers(y)

Edited by Staff: offensive and poor attempt at humour

Last edited by a moderator:
why on earth not? Seriously, it will very much depend on the couple, they may both choose to wear feminine clothing.

I shot a lesbian wedding a couple of years back where they both dressed as grooms in extremly well tailored suits. - the reception was a champagne picnic followed by a softball match.

Anyone who's expecting the stereotypical butch dungaree wearer really needs to get out more - oddly enough people who are of LGBT orientation are just like anyone else, and its impossible to generalise.

Although that said because they are barred from "traditional weddings" since the church doesnt approve many LGBT weddings follow alternate themes ( I was a guest at another one 3 years back where the theme was medieval fancy dress and one of them came dressed as st george and the other as a dragon)

why on earth not? Seriously, it will very much depend on the couple, they may both choose to wear feminine clothing.

I shot a lesbian wedding a couple of years back where they both dressed as grooms in extremly well tailored suits. - the reception was a champagne picnic followed by a softball match.

Anyone who's expecting the stereotypical butch dungaree wearer really needs to get out more - oddly enough people who are of LGBT orientation are just like anyone else, and its impossible to generalise.

Although that said because they are barred from "traditional weddings" since the church doesnt approve many LGBT weddings follow alternate themes ( I was a guest at another one 3 years back where the theme was medieval fancy dress and one of them came dressed as st george and the other as a dragon)

YV and BSM make a fantastic amount of sense in this thread. The only thing maybe to add is it can be tricky to make them look like a couple, rather then friends, worth spending a little extra effort on, however the couple I've shot, both have been oozing emotion, more so then a normal marriage

I thought that :thinking: It's just i've looked through so many weddings and the brides all seem to pose in certain ways, I suppose i'm just wondering how to pose two brides :thinking:

In my experience you pose them just like you would anyone else - but you hit the nail on the head in the first post - have a natter with them and find out what they want.

and like yv said earlier find out what they will be wearing because it could be more or less anything (and that also goes for hetero civil weddings)

at the end of the day your subject is the special day of two people who love each other -their orientation is pretty much irrelevant - so you can reckon on all the usual types of shots - happy couple together, kiss shot, happy couple and freinds, happy couple and parents etc

Talking of challenging poses I did a wedding a couple of years back where the bride was in a wheelchair - that really did make posing tricky.

I have done a good few gay weddings and i look at them the same as any other. Saying that i have one next month and there is a clear separation in personality with one of the girls being very girly and the other being very masculine so i dont think i can help posing it that way.

Cheers for all the advice guys (y)

I'm meeting up on Thursday with the happy couple so i''ll let you know what they say and seek further advice. (y)

I agree I should just shoot it like a normal wedding (though i've not even shot a normal wedding yet :LOL:) but i'm sure what they are wearing will determine the types of poses we go for.

One thing though is I am not very confident at posing people. Any tips on how to make myself and more importantly the couple relax?

I agree I should just shoot it like a normal wedding (though i've not even shot a normal wedding yet :LOL:) but i'm sure what they are wearing will determine the types of poses we go for.

One thing though is I am not very confident at posing people. Any tips on how to make myself and more importantly the couple relax?

Need an assistant?! :thinking: Might be up that way early August!! (y)

:wave:

Haha I love those smileys:D

Hi Damien, as I'm not being paid for the wedding if I were to take on a 2nd it would have to be unpaid.

Also i'd have to clear it with the couple that they are happy with a second shooter.

Have you shot weddings before?

Not asking for any money :nono:.....the chance to get a few same sex wedding shots in my portfolio is enough for me!! (y)

I won't lie and say I've got decades of wedding experience, but after doing a fair bit of 2nd shooting and assisting, I'm in my first year of being the main tog and it's going quite well imvho....here's a few from the two I've done so far this year as main tog:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=324446

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=332428

Also, I use Canon which could be handy and I have a boot full of mobile studio gear....;)

Oh, and another thing.....I know my place as a 2nd shooter!! I'm not there to steal the show and you won't have to nudge me out of the way to get your shot.....:nono: I'd be there primarily to carry bags and help you set your shots up....(y)

I've heard stories of 2nd's trying to take over, but you wouldn't get that from me!! ;)

philip,

I can vouch for what Damien says - I know him pretty well and have seconded for him now at 3 and a half weddings (the half is, I couldn't due to injury but helped him out on some edits)

My earlier post taking the pee at Damien , was just purely because thats what we do to each other.

As you have not shot a wedding before, I strongly hope you take him up on the offer. It's a daunting task, being a lead wedding tog for the first time, and to be honest and 100% un pc, this "opportunity" is a bit diverse to the "traditional" weddings most people associate with.

Pretty much over the last year, whist being a second for Damen and lugigng bags and softboxes and lighstands, I could go on, I have noticed his confidence come on n leaps and bounds, and also his ability to direct the couple / group into posing ina formal yet at the smae time relaxed way,

By no means am I blowing smoke up his arse, I often tell him what I think works and is crap, and he too , to me likewise, but if the offer is there, grab it!

Back