Less film for me :(

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
OK guys

I will be shooting less film for a while, I'll still be using my Paxette frequently but I'm not going to develop and scan my own any more due to several things.

I was starting to get a bit embroiled in the whole equipment race (once I had the Leica, I wanted more, different colours, etc) and it was distracting me from taking pictures.

I'm still a Rangefinder guy but I'll be going back to using my Epson R-D1 digital rangefinder and my Paxette film camera - this combo were my main cameras when I was having the most fun. It didn't feel like my equipment was starting to own me rather than the other way round!

Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the help - you guys taught me how to develop my film and have been a good set of chaps for critique, tips and fun.

I'll still be about and reading this forum mainly as film cameras will always be fascinating for me, but my main image threads will be posted elsewhere.. such as this one here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=340262

At least the R-D1 looks very 'film' like. I know it's not quite the same (though it feels nearly the same to use), but when I have a whole room to dedicate to photography I can go back to developing and scanning, maybe printing, my own negs. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy just taking pictures!

Cheers as always
ped

Hope to continue to see your input around the forum, and to see your pictures. I too am trying to ensure I don't get sucked too much into gear, which is all too easy.

Too much gear? That's always an issue.

And I've just helped someone by taking away their 35mm film scanner:clap::clap:

What's that about too much gear? Why I' m on the cusp of selling off a dozen or so rifles: how can that be too much gear?

What's that you say - is there another lens I'd like?:bang::wave:

You've kept sight of the important thing, and that's the taking pictures part. If you're shooting for yourself, and for your own pleasure, then it's down to you if it matters what media the shots are taken upon. You've taken the step that more gear-heads (of the film AND digital persuasions) on TP should take... "Stuff GAS (gear aquisition syndrome) I'm going out to take Pictures!"

I'll be honest for a moment now. My Go-To film camera, as most people on here know, is the EOS-3. It feels right in my hand, has great, reliable metering, hasn't let me down on a single frame out of a good 50 rolls, and uses proper modern glass, which it can share with its digital sidekick, my EOS-7D.

Problem is, I've not been able to get out and shoot for fun more than a half-dozen days this year. And the EOS-3 has been sorely neglected, because of this. I simply haven't been fit/well enough to hump both the 7D and the 3 around, so one had to go. Because they both feel similar to use, I'll admit now, I took the 7D. In a bid to try and get back to shooting film I bought a MF kit, the Bronica ETRSi, which did the trick for me, because it felt different, and gave a different experience to using a Digital SLR.

I think in a way, the Leica and the R-D1 were probably too similar - both small, well engineered rangefinders. I mean, the R-D1 is pretty much a cosina/Voigtlander Bessa with a high-tech interior, but handling wise, it's a Bessa - one of the few rangefinders that actually tempt me to buy. And the Leica, well, it's a Leica.

Anyway - shoot a few rolls of XP2 through the paxette now and then, and drop the results in here if you feel like it mate. And most importantly, get out there and take some pictures :)

Thanks Yin. I'll be certain to post my paxette pics when I take them. The Leica felt amazing but the images were just as good as the film; the pics didn't have the same character as the Paxette, whose lenses I am convinced are very special.

Cheers
ped

I found film strangely liberating, GAS never really seemed to bite the same way it did when I shot digital.
Its not easy to compare but, the larger formats limit to a certain degree how much gear for one system you can acquire, since there doesn't appear to be much reason to own more than a couple of bodys, and they have very specific uses.
I mean, you could go completely bonkers if you put your mind to it but I don't see a comparative "I need every colour Leica" syndrome in the M/F format that exist in 35mm and digital.
The RD-1 and Paxette are already a step away from conventional SLR photography and imo the best way to de-clutter and simplify whilst keeping a toe in the water.
You don't need all the equipment related to developing to enjoy your time with film, as we know its only a small part of a very big machine.
It is however more important you keep on enjoying your photography whatever the medium.

Back