Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

tim

Name
Tim Preston
Edit My Images
Yes
I am fortunate enough to have discovered these only a five minute walk from my home. They have nested in the same tree but different holes for the previous 3 years (at least) I spent an hour watching them the other evening as the sun went down. These are cropped heavily.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Dothill Nature Reserve 05.05.2015 (1 of 1) by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker Dothill Nature Reserve 05.05.2015 (1 of 1) by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Nikon D7100 Tamron 150-600

Last edited:
Love #3,excellent.:):clap:

Nice shots of a very tricky bird to see let alone get a shot of, being trying for years at a site in the North West but I have yet to connect.

Tim

lift the shadows/exposure on the bird (especially it's head)

Please feel free to edit it Bill. Please be aware though their heads/cheeks are actually brown not white like the Great.

That's a wonderful sight to see Tim, not an easy bird to find nowadays, I've only seen fleeting glimpses of them, but it was local to me so I live in hope I'll get a shot away one day :)

Please feel free to edit it Bill. Please be aware though their heads/cheeks are actually brown not white like the Great.

the original file is a little small, (800px and 100k) ...... but here is just a quick edit of the overall image Tim ...... all I did was to look at the overall tone curve and exposure levels .... looking at the histogram the image is over to the left ...... just a minute or two in LR ........if you separate the bird from the background and process each separately you should get a much better result than I have, even for a "record" shot......

Original

Woodie_Tim_Or.jpg

Edit, maybe it's not as you saw it but it brings more detail out in the bird ... what do you think?

Woodie_Tim.jpg

no big deal just my opinion

Last edited:
Very nice find Tim, hopefully you'll have some more great shooting oportunities over the coming months.

I think I had one (or Great) on my workshop roof last night and again on a fence panel this morning when getting up. On both occasions it flew off as I was getting the camera. 99% certain it's a lesser, but need a photo for proof.

Thanks for all of the comments. Thanks for the edit Bill. I've been reading up on targeted adjustments this morning so I will have a play again during the course of the weekend.

The light was low anyway as it was between 7-8pm. Hopefully now I know where they are I will get an opportunity again too.

They are very small Swanseajack, not much bigger than a Sparrow. They also seem to be constantly on the move.

Thanks for all of the comments. Thanks for the edit Bill. I've been reading up on targeted adjustments this morning so I will have a play again during the course of the weekend.

The light was low anyway as it was between 7-8pm. Hopefully now I know where they are I will get an opportunity again too.

They are very small Swanseajack, not much bigger than a Sparrow. They also seem to be constantly on the move.

basic pp is easy Tim ....... then you start going around in circles and more circles ......... sometimes I think that I should stop taking RAW images and take jpegs, bin PS and LR and let the camera do the work.

i can just let pp take over ........ I'm sure that it's not mean't to be like that

Good spot on a difficult bird, I hope that it stays around

A nice bird to get, like many I haven't seen one either!

basic pp is easy Tim ....... then you start going around in circles and more circles ......... sometimes I think that I should stop taking RAW images and take jpegs, bin PS and LR and let the camera do the work.
i can just let pp take over ........ I'm sure that it's not mean't to be like that

Agree, shouldn't be like that...The only things that should need changing in PP are cropping, levels adjustment, white balance (rarely), sharpening and possibly a bit of NR. Occasional cloning for something distracting such as sensor dust bunnies and the remnants of a twig dangling from the cropping. If you are doing much more than that then you should rather spend more time framing and getting it right in the first place :)

The only things that should need changing in PP are cropping, levels adjustment, white balance (rarely), sharpening and possibly a bit of NR. Occasional cloning for something distracting such as sensor dust bunnies and the remnants of a twig dangling from the cropping. If you are doing much more than that then you should rather spend more time framing and getting it right in the first place :)
Agree, If a shot needs more than five minutes in PP, it should go in the bin. Most of mine do..........:D

Well done, great capture of a fairly rare bird. Saw my first one ever about a month ago.

and what a great addiction to have :clap: Haven't seen LSW for about 7 years now myself so make the most of them whilst you can.

Reactions: tim
Back