Lesson learnt- Equipment failure

planetjamez

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Today I was out at a lovely nature reserve called Arne and there is always a lot of deer. I got a few nice ones of single deer before my only SD card failed and I could take any more photos. As we continued on we saw a field full which would have made some lovely photos! Now i've learnt to bring spares all the time!!

Oops! Had a similar experience with batteries recently ... It happens ...!

It's happened to me before as well, both card full with no spare and another time dead batteries. On the plus side at least I'm not a wedding tog, that must be a nightmare for them and why they always bang on about plenty of back up.

You are not alone!

I walked a good half hour up to a windmill to take some photos of the Red Arrows as they displayed at the Festival of Speed and managed 2 rubbish pics before the battery went flat.:crying:

Watched the most spectacular display I have seen with planes going directly overhead and sideways, very low, inwardly cursing! :bang:

Heather

I know i am a bit over the top,but 4 spare batteries in bag & and about 5 cards as we'll.

:)

Oh yes, 2 fully charged batteries in bag. (y)

....sadly said bag was in the car at the bottom of the hill! :bang:

Heather

Left tripod adapter on table, still able to use camera but had to lug heavy tripod around for over an hour with no way to attach camera.
live and learn,

Dave

Oh yes, 2 fully charged batteries in bag. (y)

....sadly said bag was in the car at the bottom of the hill! :bang:

Heather

Don't drive so everything has to come in the bag with me,mine you did walk out with my 14mm attached to my body,last week meant to have on 18-55mm :bang:

Good to hear you can at least recover what you had shot up to the point of failure.

Do you mind sharing the make of the card?

It was a PNY 8gb card. I've recently remembered that ive had an issue with this one before! Written BROKEN on it now so I don't make that mistake again. I have many others of that make but I think its one of my older cards from a few years ago.

The only time I've had a problem was when I'd left my card from my 7D in the card reader at home connected to the computer. Wasn't too bad as I had my 5D3 with me as well but having to cart a useless 7D about was a PITA.

With regards to the 'BROKEN' card, I'd say once you've got all the data off it then bin it. That way it's got no chance of finding its way back into your bag and into the camera by mistake. I've got grips on both my bodies with 2 batteries in each and usually I carry another couple about all the time when I'm out.

The only time I've had a problem was when I'd left my card from my 7D in the card reader at home connected to the computer. Wasn't too bad as I had my 5D3 with me as well but having to cart a useless 7D about was a PITA.

With regards to the 'BROKEN' card, I'd say once you've got all the data off it then bin it. That way it's got no chance of finding its way back into your bag and into the camera by mistake. I've got grips on both my bodies with 2 batteries in each and usually I carry another couple about all the time when I'm out.
Thats not a bad shout to just throw it away

I know i am a bit over the top,but 4 spare batteries in bag & and about 5 cards as we'll.

that's not over the top - I usually have 2 bodies with two batteries in each and 8 spare batteries , plus a 4GB card in each and 8 spares - plus I have the compact that lives on my belt as well. I still miss shots but not through equipment failure

Went on holiday and took by bridge camera. We were in a lovely cathedral with light streaming through a window - tried to shoot and I had left my memory cards at home - all of them :bang:

Luckily there was a Jessops in town so got some for the rest of the holidays

Since my wife bought me a wallet to keep 6 separate CF cards in, I filled it and make sure it goes out as part of the checklist.
James, as the memory cards are cheap enough, just bin the 'broken' one - that way there's no possibility of installing it, even by mistake...

Lesson learnt though James, it won't happen again.
My wife laughs at me often because of what she calls my OCD, just because I've got backups of everything and I mean everything. Even my backups have backups.
Please I haven't got two of her though. :bonk:

Back