Lessons we don't learn

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
The evening of 9th of June 1944 was much like any other evening in this peaceful and idyllic part of rural France. Oradour-sur-Glane was outside the area of Nazi occupation and, whilst spared the threats and fears of their more northern compatriots, the depravations of war would be never too far from the minds of the inhabitants.

As the sun dropped below the horizon and the children put to bed, the adults would have excitedly discussed the Allied landings that would eventually remove the unwelcome guests they had lived with for almost five years. Oradour wasn’t a small village by any standards anf even had it’s own tramway travelling from one end to the other. It had the usual selection of cafes, bars, hairdresser, school, blacksmith and a Post Office cum Telephone office.
By the time that the sun set the following day, the name Oradour-sur-Glane and the fate of its people would be written in history.

The morning of 10th of June 1944 passed quite normally and it wasn’t until shortly after lunchtime that the village was surrounded by soldiers from a regiment of the SS 2nd Panzer Division. The mayor was told to assemble all the citizens in the centre of the village for an identity card check. Once all were deemed to be present, the women and children were marched off to the church and the men split into 6 groups before being taken to barns within the village. On the walk to the church, the soldiers encouraged the children to sing….there was little to suggest what fate might have in store for them.

Approximately 200 women and a further 200 children were packed into the small church when a makeshift smoke bomb was set off in order to asphyxiate them. When this device failed, the assembled soldiers machine gunned their victims before throwing in several grenades. The dead, dying and wounded were then covered in straw and timber before being incinerated….the heat so great that the bronze bell in the tower melted.
The men folk fared little better. The soldiers proceeded to machine gun the assembled masses in the barns around the village. Five fortunate villagers escaped during the mayhem and later provided the details you’re now reading. The machine guns were deliberately aimed low to incapacitate the prisoners without killing them. When the firing stopped, the injured were covered in wood and straw and burnt alive. The homes and businesses of Oradour were then looted and set alight until nothing of any significance remained.
In barely six hours, a thriving community had been reduced to rubble ….rubble containing the charred remains of 642 men, women and children.

A decision was taken that Oradour-sur-Glane should remain untouched and be a lasting memorial for the victims and a reminder for future generations of the atrocities of war. A new community has grown on the outskirts of the village but the decaying buildings, burnt out cars and church are just as they were found 68 years ago.

Why did Oradour-sur-Glance warrant this treatment?
The truth is that there’s no solid documentary evidence to explain the massacre. The most likely reason is one of simple mistaken identity. Resistence fighters in the similarly named Oradour-sur-Vayres (some 50kms south) had reportedly kidnapped a German Officer and it’s probable that the attack was a form of reprisal.

10120_15857140234fce4849cff36.jpg

10120_13023913794fce484401e53.jpg

10120_4523867644fce484fe8bf2.jpg

10120_12233190494fce482f7a23b.jpg

10120_4382123084fce4863ceb8a.jpg

10120_1372897474fce488aaca60.jpg

There are more images here for anyone interested and there's a good precis of the events of 10th June 1944 here

Last edited:
What an incredibly sad story Bob :(

You captured the mood well in a place that I suppose will never see happiness again.

O/T nice to see you :)

It's both staggering and depressing what some humans are capable of doing.

The images are excellent Bob, very haunting.

Atrocities like the one mentioned should never be forgotten, the village should act as a warning for everyone as well as a memorial to those so brutally murdered.

Andy

Memorials like this are so important to the generations that follow such tragic events. Sadly, we don't learn from them. This sort of thing still goes on and very little is done about it.
These images are very moving Bob, to anyone with a heart.

The title says it all, it is still happening in some parts of the world today.

Emotive images.

Really poignant tragedy accompanied with excellent photos.

What an incredibly sad story Bob :(
..... O/T nice to see you :)
Thanks Jo....nice to see you again too.
'Sad' but far from unique in these parts (albeit on a smaller scale).
It was the parallel to events in Syria last month that took me there.....68 years and nothing's changed.

It's both staggering and depressing what some humans are capable of doing.
It is Phil. Of course, many of the perpetraitors were simply following orders although how a person can follow such an order is beyond the comprehension of most of us. It was discovered many years later that some of the troops were actually French. They were from the Alsace region which had been annexed and the men conscripted into the German Army. The French element were put to trial in 1953 and the outcome split the opinion of the nation (France).

The images are excellent Bob, very haunting.
Atrocities like the one mentioned should never be forgotten, the village should act as a warning for everyone as well as a memorial to those so brutally murdered.
Andy
Thanks Andy. I learn much about myself when visiting places like this....it can be both humbling and scary.

Memorials like this are so important to the generations that follow such tragic events. Sadly, we don't learn from them. This sort of thing still goes on and very little is done about it.
These images are very moving Bob, to anyone with a heart.
Thanks Trevor.....

I guess most visitors stand and imagine the events unfolding from an observers point of view.....horrifying without needing much imagination.
Some may go a step further and play it out in their mind as a victim....does the fear really become tangible?
This next bit might sound perverse but please see it for what it is.
Stand there in uniform with a sub-machine gun and let your mind take you through it (I doubt many would). The horror escalates beyond belief.....that's when the tears could really begin flow.

Bob

Last edited:
Indeed we don't learn.

In 2000 I went over to Kosovo to investigate War Crimes, Crimes against humanity and exhume mass graves. In most cases the victims were tied up and executed at close range, in some cases hung upside down and used as bayonet practice. In other cases victims were ushered in to cafes where hand grenades were tossed in and finished off with bursts from AK47 assault rifles. Most of the mass graves were mined in an effort to thwart the bodies ever being found. They failed. However, many of the War Criminals are still outstanding and have escaped the judicial process. Ironically, when I was out there the BBC series 'Nazis a warning from history' was being shown on TV.

My current avatar which I change on a regular basis is the only image I would ever post in this forum or on the web, not only for professional reasons, but most are simply to shocking to reproduce. Not a day goes by where I don't recall these events in some way.

Just recently more than 100 men, women and children were killed in Houla, most of them shot at point-blank range or slashed with knives. Indeed we don't learn.

Thank you for sharing your images Bob and putting some context to them

Last edited:
I thought I knew a lot about ww2 but never heard of this :(

Really poignant tragedy accompanied with excellent photos.
Thanks Roger...the place is worthy of a few hours of anybody's time.
Indeed we don't learn.

In 2000 I went over to Kosovo to investigate War Crimes, Crimes against humanity and exhume mass graves. In most cases the victims were tied up and executed at close range, in some cases hung upside down and used as bayonet practice. In other cases victims were ushered in to cafes where hand grenades were tossed in and finished off with bursts from AK47 assault rifles. Most of the mass graves were mined in an effort to thwart the bodies ever being found. They failed. However, many of the War Criminals are still outstanding and have escaped the judicial process. Ironically, when I was out there the BBC series 'Nazis a warning from history' was being shown on TV.

Just recently more than 100 men, women and children were killed in Houla, most of them shot at point-blank range or slashed with knives. Indeed we don't learn.

Thank you for sharing your images Bob and putting some context to them
Thanks Nick.
It's eperiences like yours and the recent events in Houla that gave rise to the title of the thread.....I see yet another similar atrocity has occurred in the brief time since I opened the thread....tragic.

I thought I knew a lot about ww2 but never heard of this :(
This was by no means a unique occurrance in this region of France. It's only the scale of the Oradour massacre that sets it above the others in notoriety.

Bob

It's things like this the world should never be allowed to forget, so thank you Bob for you timely reminder, the images are very haunting.
My Dad was involved in clearing Belsen at the end of the war, he would rarely speak of his experiences, but the look in his eyes at the very mention of the place told the story

I visited here a few years ago. I took my camera with me but didn't take one shot, it didn't really seem appropriate. I felt very uncomfortable being there as if I were intruding somehow. Sad to think that man is capable of such atrocities and is capable of repeating them endlessly.

Some nice photos. They capture the desperate mood of the place.

Great shots guv. Cheers
Thanks Mike. They would have far been better if the buildings were undamaged and children playing in the streets...ie, the atrocity had never happened.

It's things like this the world should never be allowed to forget, so thank you Bob for you timely reminder, the images are very haunting.
My Dad was involved in clearing Belsen at the end of the war, he would rarely speak of his experiences, but the look in his eyes at the very mention of the place told the story
Thanks Ingrid....
Belsen is indeed a very moving place...even after so many years have passed. I well remember being the sole visitor on a cold and foggy winter's morning some years back. As the fog lifted to reveal the vastness of the place, the sense of sorrow was undescribeable. Being surrounded by mass graves containing hundreds of thousands of bodies is not something one can prepare for....believe me.

I visited here a few years ago. I took my camera with me but didn't take one shot, it didn't really seem appropriate. I felt very uncomfortable being there as if I were intruding somehow. Sad to think that man is capable of such atrocities and is capable of repeating them endlessly.

Some nice photos. They capture the desperate mood of the place.
I understand your feeling Alan. I visited the village a few years back when I was working close by and was so overwhelmed by the scale of it that I just wandered around aimlessly. This visit was expessly for capturing the mood in images (to the best of my limited ability). It may sound a little bizzarre to some but I chose to go on my birthday. Once in while it's worth putting aside the usual celebrations and use the day to reflect on the fate of others who were cruelly denied the chance to reach the age I have.

Bob

I have been a few times.

A place like that has to be done in B&W as you have done. Where are the rest of the photos Bob. The old cars and the Singer sewing machines?

I remember standing in the church and trying to imagine what it must have been like. Also tried to imagine people hiding as the German's went from house to house.

I also agree Bob that nothing has changed in the world. It's just different parts now.

And how long did we stand around doing sod all in places like Kosovo ????

Where are the rest of the photos Bob. The old cars and the Singer sewing machines?
There are more images here for anyone interested and there's a good precis of the events of 10th June 1944 here

I put the above link under the final shot but maybe it wasn't too obvious...sewing machines and cars included Robin

A place like that has to be done in B&W as you have done.
.......I remember standing in the church and trying to imagine what it must have been like. Also tried to imagine people hiding as the German's went from house to house.
Imagination can be a frigthening thing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, close your eyes and put a uniform on and hold a gun.
I'm not sure whether it's more terrifying being a victim or a perpetraitor.

Bob

Ooops apologies Bob I missed your link. Will have a look now.

Just read through this thread then jumped over to your site to look at the rest of the images. :( Very sad story and I think you've captured the very nature of the place well.

In a bizarre co-incidence I recently picked up the June edition of Practical Motorhome because it had an article and photos on this very place. A place I'd like to visit if I'm ever that way.

Just read through this thread then jumped over to your site to look at the rest of the images. :( Very sad story and I think you've captured the very nature of the place well.
Thanks Gary...there's a very real sadness in the air at this place

In a bizarre co-incidence I recently picked up the June edition of Practical Motorhome because it had an article and photos on this very place. A place I'd like to visit if I'm ever that way.
Allow yourself several hours if you get the chance to visit Michael, it's very moving.

Bob

wow bob i really like stuff do with ww2 and previous wars
this is defiatley a sad story captured well as you say only scratched the surface and sadly you are probally correct these people must of suffered very sad but very moving too

the photos are very intense

A very moving story and salutary tale about not forgetting the past. Your images bring the text you prepared to life. I love this sort of reportage, which as well as being visually interesting is emotionally and intellectually challenging. We ignore history at our peril and sadly the incident at Oradour-sur-Glance has been repeated in more recent time in other parts of the world.

A powerful piece of contemporary reportage indeed

Last edited:
....this is defiatley a sad story captured well as you say only scratched the surface and sadly you are probally correct these people must of suffered very sad but very moving too
We're approaching the time when there are only a few people who'll remember the place as it was (pre-war).....the memories won't die with them Alex.

the photos are very intense
As is the place itself Scott...thanks for the comment.

A very moving story and salutary tale about not forgetting the past. Your images bring the text you prepared to life. I love this sort of reportage, which as well as being visually interesting is emotionally and intellectually challenging. We ignore history at our peril and sadly the incident at Oradour-sur-Glance has been repeated in more recent time in other part of the world.

A powerful piece of contemporary reportage indeed
Thanks Adrian...places like this should be a part of any school curriculum IMO.

Bob

Back