Let Me Tell You A Story

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Every morning I go out to feed the birds in our garden. This little Robbin sits on the fence waiting for its breakfast. It lets me get about a foot or two near it and is happy for me to take photos. The light isn't great as my back garden is in shadow in the mornings so this is the best I can do at the moment. Anyway, yesterday when I went out I put some food in my hand and held my hand out. Twice it hovered next to my hand but didn't land. This morning I tried again. It came to me 4 times hovering by my hand but no landing. I don't think it will be much longer before its natural instinct for safety realises I am not a danger. I hope it won't be long before this little wild Robin is feeding freely from my hand. Watch this space :)

Today 'Batman's Little Helper' landed and fed from my hand. Twice it came so close its wings were touching my fingers. Then it touched down for a quick take. It then fed again and again. (3 times in total from my hand). Never had a wild bird from my garden do this before. Happy Me :)

The Eagle (Well, Robin) Has Landed by Skyline:), on Flickr

The top one was taken with a Canon 7D and a 100mm macro. The 2nd one with a Sony A6000 and a 50mm lens.

Good shots there, especially the second one.

You are obviously doing this pretty well and you might be using these as food already, but if not, have a look at live mealworms.

Some people find the birds go for dried mealworms but in our garden they are largely ignored by the birds. Live mealworms, however, are like a magnet to robins. Some years ago we had a robin that would hop in via the kitchen window, grab a live mealworm from a pot and fly out the backdoor.

The only drawbacks are live mealworms are not cheap and every other bird loves them too. This is OK when those are blue and great tits and sparrows, but the mealworms disappear very quickly when blackbirds and starlings discover them and even more if a magpie finds them.

Dave

I have some dry mealworms for the blackbirds. This robin (and the other birds) loves the little suet pellets I put out.
It came and tok out my hand at lunchtime today. I'm going to try and get a video if it carry's on :)

I had to. It is now coming to the bench I sit on in my garden.

Batman and Robin :D

great shots and video
i take it you dialed in + exposure compensation for pic number 1 ? if so how much

great shots and video
i take it you dialed in + exposure compensation for pic number 1 ? if so how much

I did as it was very dull and shady on that fence. I think I went about 4 stops over but blew it out on the first shot. This one was probably recovered in photoshop.

Back