Let's see your amusing sign shots

There's a bus stop like that on my road except that it says 'not in use' where the service numbers would be at the top of the post. I gather that it makes more sense to do that than remove the stop because if ever they want to use the stop in the future, if they had removed it then they would need to re-apply for and obtain all the relevant planning permissions/traffic orders.

It makes sense when you realize they've calculated price/litre based on one 330ml can instead of twelve.

It makes sense when you realize they've calculated price/litre based on one 330ml can instead of twelve.
That was obviously their mistake, but it doesn't make any sense to do that. The comment clearly says per litre which is around 3 cans.

This one takes a bit of explaining. A new sign appeared in a local station which intrigued me.
R7A03665_1.jpg

What is a DRA? A driver's reminder appliance (DRA) is a manual switch in the driving cab of a passenger train. When operated it glows bright red and prevents the driver from being able to apply power.

So this is apparently a Driver's Reminder Appliance Reminder. :thinking:

This one takes a bit of explaining. A new sign appeared in a local station which intrigued me.
View attachment 387303

What is a DRA? A driver's reminder appliance (DRA) is a manual switch in the driving cab of a passenger train. When operated it glows bright red and prevents the driver from being able to apply power.

So this is apparently a Driver's Reminder Appliance Reminder. :thinking:
.... But where is this sign positioned? Facing the side of a train as it appears to be here with a hedge background? Or facing the train driver's cab?

I wonder if it's related to the platform guard's duties for passenger trains. It used to be just a green flag.

GREEN FLAG MEANS GO! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... But where is this sign positioned? Facing the side of a train as it appears to be here with a hedge background? Or facing the train driver's cab?

I wonder if it's related to the platform guard's duties for passenger trains. It used to be just a green flag.

GREEN FLAG MEANS GO! by Robin Procter, on Flickr
The sign is at the end of the platform, facing the driver. There are new trains on this line, before they are rolled out across the whole Merseyrail network. Initially the trains were not going to have any guards on, just a driver, but the unions were not happy about that, and the disagreement delayed the roll out of the new trains. There are still two staff on the new trains, but I'm not sure if they are still called 'guards'. The new trains are very nice, and are reminiscent of trams in Europe.

The sign is at the end of the platform, facing the driver. There are new trains on this line, before they are rolled out across the whole Merseyrail network. Initially the trains were not going to have any guards on, just a driver, but the unions were not happy about that, and the disagreement delayed the roll out of the new trains. There are still two staff on the new trains, but I'm not sure if they are still called 'guards'. The new trains are very nice, and are reminiscent of trams in Europe.
.... I'm definitely not a great supporter of trade unions but I think they are right in this case if they are being mindful of safety for passengers. A train is far more susceptible to potentially lethal problems if only one person is in control.

But I am very much against driverless vehicles etc anyway! Driverless trains next? Pilotless airliners?

Pilotless airliners........

Thunderbirds back in the day had such a one to rescue bit that failed because of sabotage....!

Some years back when there was talk of 'hypersonic' aircraft (IIRC ~ London to Sydney in a few hours?) the proposal was for it/them to be without cockpit crew.

PS and what about the, was it called, Hyperlink that would be pods enclosed with a vacuum tunnel.......they are all driverless akin to the DLR.

Last edited:
I think the train in Pisa from the airport to the city centre station was driverless, but that was on a closed line. And I think it was actually driven by cables, basically a flat funicular. There is no chance of those trains hitting anything on the line because two the trains pass at mid point on different rail lines. That is far as I want to go with driverless anything.

I'm not sure they have worked out who would be potentially responsible when the 'driverless' car is involved in an accident, the person in the car not driving! The manufacturer! Both? Seems a pretty crucial thing that seems to be being ignored.

Talking of Bus Stops.....this route in a village location has not had a bus for about 5 years but the stops are all still in place but this wag added something special:)
IMG_20230515_143212853~2.png

Sorry for the poor quality but on the phone and had to email it to myself at lower file size as could not find a way in the phone to reduce the file size....... :headbang:

But I am very much against driverless vehicles etc anyway! Driverless trains next? Pilotless airliners?
I used to board a driverless train at least twice a day. Here it comes now....

DLR train approaching Panasonic FX55 1020095.jpg

I used to board a driverless train at least twice a day. Here it comes now....

View attachment 391488
.... I suppose it's not much different than a lift in a building, except that someone in situ can control it.

Would you ride on a driverless mainline long distance train?

No wonder train drivers are on strike - They are quite specifically trained and need to be. A steam loco Driver has years of learning and has to be a Fireman first. Also, modern freight train drivers are highly trained, just like truck and bus drivers on the road.

Would you ride on a driverless mainline long distance train?
Subject to a lot of caveats, perhaps.

There's a huge difference between an urban system running at 20 - 30 MPH and a long distance system running at 100 MPH +. The DLR has a lot of cameras checking the line, as well as cameras monitoring the passenger space. It seems to me that equivalent coverage for a main line system would require a very large staff to operate, negating any saving on drivers.

Subject to a lot of caveats, perhaps.

There's a huge difference between an urban system running at 20 - 30 MPH and a long distance system running at 100 MPH +. The DLR has a lot of cameras checking the line, as well as cameras monitoring the passenger space. It seems to me that equivalent coverage for a main line system would require a very large staff to operate, negating any saving on drivers.
.... I agree but I don't have a lot of faith in authorities not scaling up driverless transport in spite of what I think are obvious dangers and risks when applied to longer distances.

Not sure why these came out so dark... Anyway local(ish) woodland has an all-ability path - essentially a loop of tarmac. These signs have appeared at either end of a section....
signal-2023-06-11-09-27-34-330.jpgsignal-2023-06-11-09-22-38-218.jpg

... However the section they're highlighting is actually the least uneven and smoothest section.

If its hidden , how do you know its closed

p1703672731-4.jpg

Back