Levitation

Class, love it!

It's really quite well done - the shadow is convincing and his expression is fantastic! I can't imagine that it's all that easy to pull this off so well done (y)

That's very well done Ian, and the shadow is very convincing.(y)

George.

If it's done in layers, with the stool/box removed, then it's good work.
As mentioned, the shadow application looks neat.

Thanks for the comments guys. He was stood on a clear plastic box, cloned out the box and added the shadow in a new layer. This was based on a cut out of Finley and played about with until it looked right (or as close to correct as I could get it).

Ah I like it Finley is fab and looks like he know what you are trying to achieve :)

Gaz

Ah I like it Finley is fab and looks like he know what you are trying to achieve :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, he was just playing. He was standing on the box we keep some of his toys in. He kept emptying the box, turning it over and standing on it. He's at that age where he likes climbing and we have to keep getting him off things in case he falls. Grabbed a few shots and he managed not to fall, though I was within grabbing range!! It was when I was processing the files I thought of similar shots I'd seen on here and thought I would give it a try.

This is the original shot...

IMG_8049 by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Cool socks by the way :) I did something similiar some time ago with my own feet below a table, was fun don't think I did the shadow thing though, would have to check.
You did great with the removal of the box pretty tuff with it being clear and a fussy carpet. Would be easier on tripod and a clear frame to use first. But that aint never gonna happen with Finley.
Just gotta grab em as these things unfold ;-)

Gaz

Thanks, he's got a few pairs like that. You'll have to put your shot up if you can find it.

It took a while, would have been easier without the rug being down, but it wasn't really planned. A second, clear shot would have helped. Didn't think of that...doh!

Seems like you know Finley well!!

Thanks, he's got a few pairs like that. You'll have to put your shot up if you can find it.

It took a while, would have been easier without the rug being down, but it wasn't really planned. A second, clear shot would have helped. Didn't think of that...doh!

Seems like you know Finley well!!
:) He looks a rum un for sure ! Cracking smiles for the cutie photos.
I must have deleted my file but I did find a copy hidden on my Flickr page.

Happy Feet !
7122543979_2e62239cac_b.jpg

Gaz

Yeah, he's quite a character and has a wicked smile. I like your shot. Were you standing on something or holding yourself up on the table?

Yeah, he's quite a character and has a wicked smile. I like your shot. Were you standing on something or holding yourself up on the table?

Ha ! I think my gymnastic abilities have long faded :)

Stood on something can't remember what though.

Gaz

Nice effort- I think a plain floor would haver worked better - giving more separation

Les

Thanks Les, I totally agree and I will probably use a lower angle if I ever try to do this properly (more like the angle @cargo shot from). Like I said above, he was just playing so no real thought went in to the positioning, angle of shot, floor...

Nicely done, i have done a few of these over the years. The one thing i would have done to enhance the effect is to take another shot of the feet bending/pointing downwards and mask accordingly. I appreciate it would have been hard with your boy being so young.

Good stuff though :)

At first glance I thought you'd actually got him jumping in the air, very convincing!

At a more thorough viewing, I would have probably applied a slight blur to the edges of the shadow to soften it a little. The fingers in particular are a little too sharply defined for me. But I'm just being picky. Great shot.

At a more thorough viewing, I would have probably applied a slight blur to the edges of the shadow to soften it a little. The fingers in particular are a little too sharply defined for me. But I'm just being picky. Great shot.

Thanks Dan, that's a good point about the shadow. Might give that a try, as I wasn't 100% happy with the shadow despite playing around with it a few times!

Here's one of mine Ian- purely Photoshop

Ouch by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was bored on a wet Bank Holiday Monday, so had a play about with a shot of my boy.

IMG_8049e by Ian J Bradshaw, on Flickr

Just for fun!

That's very well done Ian, and the shadow is very convincing.(y)

George.

In the interest of making work better, I disagree. The shadow is sharp... look at the hand... however, the floor it's meant to be cast upon is out of focus. In reality it should be soft and out of focus as well. Sorry, but it's not convincing... it was the first think I noticed.

Thanks David, it's already been mentioned...

At first glance I thought you'd actually got him jumping in the air, very convincing!

And replied to. I totally agree with what you've said. It's been a busy week and I haven't had any time to rework the shadow.

Might have a play in a bit as he's up and awake and it's the other half's week for a Saturday lie in.

I think that looks much better. Again, just an opinion though, don't take it as gospel.

If anything the darker area of shadow where the hand meets the edge of the rug is slightly distracting and could be toned down to match the rest of the shadow. Apart from that it looks excellent to me.

The shadow looks much better in that one, much more convincing. I still have a problem with the separation from the floor though, its not very obvious and without the shadow, I'm not sure I would see it at all.

Thanks for the comments. This was just a trial, and tbh I've already spent too much time messing around with this image. I will bear the comments in mind should I try this type of thing again.

Back