Lexar FireWire 800 Professional CompactFlash Reader

Certainly looks to be the same one i was reccomended earlier today in another thread and if so thats an amazing price

Excellent find (y), thanks for pointing this out.

I bought one... just over 16 quid wiht delivery.. massive bargain.. whats the catch ? :)

I just bought 2.

I paid £60 for one of these a few months ago so if this is real I feel a bit of ebay action coming on (y)

Good spot :D

Last edited:
WOW! thanks, just got mine :). Was one of 3 left, now only 1 left!

ouch! I think there was some error obviously. Well my total was £16.xx

wow so its ok! glad i ordered one thanks for all the replies, I love finding bargains (y)

Looks like you might have found an awesome bargain.. thanks :D

Just got a confirmation email from Amazon. Suppose there's still time to go back on this by the third party supplier but I reckon Amazon as big bad boss might actually make them go through with it (y)

Looks like you might have found an awesome bargain.. thanks :D

Just got a confirmation email from Amazon. Suppose there's still time to go back on this by the third party supplier but I reckon Amazon as big bad boss might actually make them go through with it (y)

I hope so :LOL:

hehe i cant see how they can do anything about it.. listed as x price.. sold as x price.. they cant just take more out..

Now.. dont we all need a pc card? or have you all already got firewire fingies

anyone know the cheapest.. I really havent a clue where to get one but worse still i really done have an idea what i am looking for.. anyone?

Kipax, firewire cards can be had from about £4 on ebay, i got mine there last year.

You have to know what your looking for.. I tried a search.

Firewire 800 expansion cards are pretty expensive, approx £40+. You can pic up slower cards that run up too firewire 400 speeds for about 6 quid. Try seaching for firewire PCI card or firewire 800 PCI card.

Booooo.. Hisssss.. Bad Amazon :razz:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

We're sorry, but the following order from Digital Components Ltd has been
cancelled.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

==================================================
ORDER DETAILS
==================================================

2 of Lexar FireWire 800 Professional CompactFlash Reader

As I read down the thread I was waiting for the amazon emails. We had this last year with a lens that had been inputted in error, I ordered one even though it was a canon one, but got the 'sorry, order cancelled' email. You can complain, but ultimately its only an agreement to tender once your card has been fully charged [not pending] IIRC. :shrug:

Been looking for one of these for ages - hard to find much below £50 so a mis-price I guess.

Unless you have UDMA enabled cards they are not worth getting. The USB 2.0 version is just as quick and half the price. Still as you were going to keep them and not try and make a massive profit it is a shame.
Worth looking into eSata versions though, they are massively quick.

Sigh .. Ordered mine through my dughters amazon account... presumably she will ahve same emails but wont know until later... oh hum :(

How much faster is getting files from a CF card through a firewire reader than a normal USB 2 card reader, are they really worth the money :shrug:

How much faster is getting files from a CF card through a firewire reader than a normal USB 2 card reader, are they really worth the money :shrug:

I've got a decent USB2 reader from Amazon and it'll go up to 40 megs/s which will keep up with almost any current card. It was only a fiver...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IH1W20

I do prefer Firewire over USB2 though as its definately a faster interface and the system tends to feel snappier.

I would replace my current reader (but not at £50-£60...)

It all depends on the card / PC / reader.

USB2 = 480Mb/s
FW800 = 800MB/s

but a typical CF card (extreme III) = 25Mb/s

So as long as it's not USB 1 & you've got a reasonable PC there shouldn't be much in it :shrug:

USB 2.0 480Mbps
USB 3.0 (soon) 5Gbps but you'll need new HW
Firewire 400 400Mbps
Firewire 800 800Mbps

got my email :bang: stopped the sale:bang:

I've got a decent USB2 reader from Amazon and it'll go up to 40 megs/s which will keep up with almost any current card. It was only a fiver...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IH1W20

I do prefer Firewire over USB2 though as its definately a faster interface and the system tends to feel snappier.

I would replace my current reader (but not at £50-£60...)

Yes i was thinking the same myself £50 for a card reader :eek: thanks for that link Andy i'm going to order one of those now as mine seems fairly slow even with high speed cards (y)

Worth looking into eSata versions though, they are massively quick.

I have been looking for these but cannot find any. Do you know of a manufacturer that does them or any suppliers?

Back