(LF) Have I missed the focus or is it atmospheric

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks, I need another opinion. I can't decide if I've missed the focus in the back of the this shot or if its softness resulting from atmospheric interference (haze/rain). The front is obviously sharp, you can count the veins on the fern leaves and there is a little problem with the middle dropping out of focus due to tilt and not enough DOF (I think) but I can't decide on the rear.

Black Hill Looking West
by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49248828@N06/15024643047/sizes/l/

Focus looks fine at the rear to me. Did notice a lot of dust spots that you may wish to spot out though.

Focus looks fine at the rear to me. Did notice a lot of dust spots that you may wish to spot out though.

They're meant to be there.... :D

Cheers Glen, I think I've just been looking at it too long.

Can't see a larger size, but it looks very sharp on the horizon to me, too.

Can't see a larger size, but it looks very sharp on the horizon to me, too.

Yeah I think I've just stared at it too much.

The full 25mp scan is on Flickr if you click through the second link but don't worry about it.

well you cant have the front and back in focus and the middle out, even on a LF. If the middle is out then it will be gradually going out all the way back. Hard to tell on my phone :) How do you focus? I usually get the horizon sharp first by moving the lens forward and back, then tilt the front to bring the foreground in, then do the horizon again , rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times until its acceptable, then shooting at f22 or more brings it in the final bit.

well you cant have the front and back in focus and the middle out, even on a LF. If the middle is out then it will be gradually going out all the way back. Hard to tell on my phone :) How do you focus? I usually get the horizon sharp first by moving the lens forward and back, then tilt the front to bring the foreground in, then do the horizon again , rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times until its acceptable, then shooting at f22 or more brings it in the final bit.

the reason I was unsure about the middle is the ground slopes very quickly away from the foreground and I wasn't sure how the tilt would effect it.

Thats broadly my approach, except there is the bit where I get fed up of moving bits and just stop down!

I'll agree that the front is sharp, but to my eyes (looking particularly at the trees near the skyline) the distance is soft.

I'll agree that the front is sharp, but to my eyes (looking particularly at the trees near the skyline) the distance is soft.

I wasn't sure but I think you're right but I'm not sure if it is oof or diffused by haze etc.

Given that there are trees in the middle distance that should be about the same density, how does it compare with that of the trees on the skyline? Making certain assumptions, the difference should be a measure of the haze.

now im on my pc i can see it :) Its tricky as its quite dark so the clump of trees in the distance are merging up a bit. It does look a little soft though. Without wanting to hijack, heres one of mine. It all depends on conditions of the day too, windy misty murkey is going to affect things.

100% crop on the houses in the distance and you can make out the windows, but it was a clear bright day and not windy. I put a version on there the same size as yours.

now im on my pc i can see it :) Its tricky as its quite dark so the clump of trees in the distance are merging up a bit. It does look a little soft though. Without wanting to hijack, heres one of mine. It all depends on conditions of the day too, windy misty murkey is going to affect things.

100% crop on the houses in the distance and you can make out the windows, but it was a clear bright day and not windy. I put a version on there the same size as yours.

Cheers ash, That's helpful. I suspect even if I'd nailed the focus the atmosphere would have left it a little soft. Though it does need a pretty big enlargement to show the softness.

Given that there are trees in the middle distance that should be about the same density, how does it compare with that of the trees on the skyline? Making certain assumptions, the difference should be a measure of the haze.

The middle distance trees are also a bit soft so it probably is just slightly oof. Must try harder!

I've got some reading glasses to try instead of the loupe and some fomapan in the holders so more practice tomorrow.

Jeeze, this photo we've all agreed as being slightly soft and not that great has hit Explore on Flickr... Mortified!

Back