LF shutter....What to do!

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a LF lens in a Compur shutter which has correct speeds but it fires when it wants, not necessarily when I need it to.

I know that Miles would CLA it which would cost me in the region of £70 inc return postage from France.

I actually prefer Copal shutters, so I'm wondering if it's not worth cutting my losses and searching out a Copal 0 as opposed to repairing the Compur.

Your thoughts please…..

I have a LF lens in a Compur shutter which has correct speeds but it fires when it wants, not necessarily when I need it to.

I know that Miles would CLA it which would cost me in the region of £70 inc return postage from France.

I actually prefer Copal shutters, so I'm wondering if it's not worth cutting my losses and searching out a Copal 0 as opposed to repairing the Compur.

Your thoughts please…..

a well repaired compur should last the rest of your life. but spares are short.
As might a good Copal 0 however it might fail tomorrow.... So much depends on the prices.
it is likely to cost more from France next year???? brexit

Last edited:
a well repaired compur should last the rest of your life. but spares are short.
As might a good Copal 0 however it might fail tomorrow.... So much depends on the price
it is likely to cost more from France next year???? brexit

Tbh I have no idea of the going rate for Copal shutters as all that I've seen have had optics attached.

You maybe right about brexit….potentially , purchased items will be liable to import taaxes but for the moment it's all up in te air so I'll concern myself with that as and when.;)

Since the voting and with the strength of the pound, it's actually somewhat expensive to purchase from the UK atm, other countries outside of the EU being a better option even with taxes and postage.o_O

I try and purchase from the country i live in but unlike the UK, the listings are often shall we say not very precise and I have become fed up with receiving goods that I've had to return due to their condition…..It's a french thing." En Bon Etat" ( In good condition) seems to apply to everything from mint to b*ll*x*d!:rolleyes:

It's all relative of course but £70 isn't a great deal of money to spend in this hobby. You could spend the money on getting it repaired and end up with a reliable working shutter or you could buy another shutter which might need a similarly priced overhaul on top of the purchase price. If you can put up with the handling of the compur why not get it repaired?

There's a company S K Grimes in the US that seems to sell Copal shutters, but I couldn't find any prices on their site. This company https://lensn2shutter.com/shutters.html seems to suggest that a new Copal 0 shutter is US$225 and up! (They also suggest Compur shutters should last longer!) On fleabay there's currently at least one lens with a Copal 0 shutter listed as for parts or not working, but of course it's the shutter that's a problem. It's looking like that £70 might be a bit of a bargain! The alternative might be to find a cheap lens with a working shutter... but the one mentioned above was still over £100!

When I was searching for my Fujinon lens, I did see some lenses from Japan for under £100, IIRC. Might be worth a search (I was looking for 135mm)... eg this one, supposedly a working shutter, hazy lens, for just over £100 posted...

PS I thought we had a weak pound, post B****t vote, so it should cost you less to buy from UK, not more? That's if you're paying from a French bank account... but this is maybe too OT for this thread, sorry.

PS I thought we had a weak pound, post B****t vote, so it should cost you less to buy from UK, not more? That's if you're paying from a French bank account... but this is maybe too OT for this thread, sorry.

Don't worry, it's MY thread lol

Yes if I pay from a french account then it's a reasonable transaction but as I still have a sterling accct in the UK, I usually pay for UK based items from that but either which way one gets stuffed with bank fees etc:(

Anyway it is looking like Miles could well be getting a small parcel on his doormat as yes the prices of Copal shutters, along with the possibility that it may well require a CLA soon after purchase is definetly persuading me to repair the Compur!

Asha,

If you take the Miles route which with this type of kit is I think best, better to have a CLA,D lens than a new arrival that may be iffy.

Get a price for the lens with and without return postage and if I can collect the lens and send it back to you cheaper I would do that.

Rich.

Get a price for the lens with and without return postage and if I can collect the lens and send it back to you cheaper I would do that.

Your too kind Richard, I'll keep that in mind!;)

You should not need to send the front and back lens components with the shutter assembly. That would be less to get damaged and less weight and size to post.

You should not need to send the front and back lens components with the shutter assembly. That would be less to get damaged and less weight and size to post.

Thanks for that Terry,

I had actually already removed the optics and lensboard, nonetheless it's nice of you to help me save postal costs (y):ty:

Shutter on its way to Miles for a CLA;)

Many thanks to everyone for your opinions and persuasion to repair the Compur(y)

Back