Lichfield cathedral

Name
Maureen
Edit My Images
Yes
Visited Lichfield Cathedral yesterday and here are a few images. Not nearly as good as most of the cathedral and church shots I've seen on here but I was pleased with my first shots especially those inside in low light.

First_pic_inside_church1.jpg

Church_ceiling1.jpg

B_W_New_and_old1.jpg

Virgin_Mary_figure1.jpg

Cathedral_corner1.jpg

C&C welcome :)

Beautiful - the hallway in no. 1 seems to go on forever! Nice framing in the last 3

Thank you for stopping to look ekimeno and Mark really glad you like the shots.

Just a couple more from the day

Church_door_arch_B_W1.jpg

Church_door1.jpg

The bench is the pick of the shots for me, great lines...

Cheers,
James

Do they still charge a photo fee ? Last time I went they said no tripod, but I managed to talk them into letting me use it, when I erected it with a small footprint to show it wouldn't obstruct anyone.

You really need to be careful with setting everything up level for these interior shots which is why the 2nd one is technically the better one, although the door close up has potential. :)

Thanks for the advice CT. No they didn't charge a fee. I don't have a tripod so all hand held I'm afraid. I know that technically they're pants but it was my first attempt at lowlight shots and I was quite nervous cause there was a service going on. I'm quite pleased with them all on a personal level. Am planning to go back cause the Cathedral is such an amazing building. Had to leave prematurely as my son had an accident.

You did well there then for hand held. I find there are lots of interesting little corners and places within the building which are interesting in their own right.

Last time I was there the organist was practising on that monster organ playing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. I could feel the flagstones vibrating under my feet.... Heaven! :love:

I was too shy and nervous to go anywhere near the organist playing. There was a service going on as I said and the choir was singing which was absolutely wonderful. I'm not religious at all but found it inspiring. Can't wait to go back and get some more shots :)

LOL. I'm not religious - in fact it's a wonder a bolt of lightening doesn't get me when I go in those places! Then again - that's a bit of a contradiction I suppose? :thinking:

LOL I had the same thoughts yesterday. I had the camera on the wrong settings and swore at my stupidity and my other half laughed and asked if I was worried about a lightening strike LOL

Cool shots.

This is only a couple miles down the road from me, although I've never gone with the intention of taking any pics, I went once with the school I think...

HDR would be cool inside there :)

Thanks djaphoto glad you like them :)
It's a really good place for photography lots of interesting shots to be had.
Alas I have no HDR skills :(

Great images,have you considered a hdr conversion ??

do you have photoshop? theres a merge tool in the file section ;)

Love the first and last of your images, great detail and excellently executed to say they were hand held, great work !

Alan

I have CS3 but would need instructions ;)
Don't you need 3 exposures :shrug:
Would be so good to produce a HDR version :)

You can add a series of exposures to a single image through your camera raw.Open the image,Drag the exposure levels to suit eg. -2/-1/normal/+1/+2 each individual exposure needs to be saved and renamed first.

What do i do after I've saved the exposures :shrug:
Sorry feel like I'm asking for a tutorial :LOL:
I'd be so chuffed if I pulled off a hDR image :)

I'd be so chuffed if I pulled off a hDR image

It honestly isn't that difficult, hence the the huge number splattered across the internet.

I Didn't realise Lichfield had a cathedral. I was at Ely a few weeks ago and they wanted £5.50 and definitely no tripods.

lol!! no worries doodles,go into file-automate-merge to HDR thats the next step so make sure your 3/5/7 exposures however many you have done are saved into a seperate folder.

It isnt that difficult at all i agree,and it seems to have hit the photography world by storm!i use photomatix personally as photoshop is a bit of a nightmare withe the levels and curves to get a good end result

A good set of images, St Chad will be pleased (y)

I must pop in there soon as its local.

Gary :)

It honestly isn't that difficult, hence the the huge number splattered across the internet.

I Didn't realise Lichfield had a cathedral. I was at Ely a few weeks ago and they wanted £5.50 and definitely no tripods.

There was no charge. The 2 priests were walking around the whole time and made no fuss. I didn't use a tripod so don't know what their stance is on using them. It's a great Cathedral full of chracter and the building is so intricately designed and covered in figures of Saints and Kings. Great photo opportunities :)

ever noticed how the cathedral isnt build straight, took loads of pictures of the outside, just puts me off seeing how crooked it looks on the inside

ever noticed how the cathedral isnt build straight, took loads of pictures of the outside, just puts me off seeing how crooked it looks on the inside

Honestly didn't notice. It was built a very long time ago so not surprised. I was too engrossed with the detail and effort that must have been exerted so long ago into building this magnificent structure. Never seen so much detail on a building :)

Nice shots Maureen - how far is that from Tamworth!

I do like the door shot and the detail on the building is amazing!

Thanks John glad you like them :)
Not sure exactly but think about 7 miles.
Still working on the poetry post :)

Honestly didn't notice. It was built a very long time ago so not surprised. I was too engrossed with the detail and effort that must have been exerted so long ago into building this magnificent structure. Never seen so much detail on a building :)

Having thought about it you are correct, the detail is more important than the small error in construction, went out this afternoon to look at it again. I asked about tripod use and was told you can use one without any problem. costs £1 for the permit in the week, didnt cost anything today though. nice photos btw, no 1 is very nice.

Thanks for the information . A few people have asked about fees and tripod use so that's useful to know.
Glad you like the shots. Thank you for looking :)

Back