Life After A Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Name
graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a Canon EOS 7D Mark II for five or so years and it's probably past its best having taken well over 300K photos.

I had thought of buying a new one but the model seems to have been discontinued.

Any views on a replacement. Would like something with even better picture quality without spending much more.

Thanks.

300k, wow. If it's still working and you're happy with the image quality etc, then why change? Don't fix what isn't broken. The 7Dii was discontinued a while back now. There will apparently be no 7Diii, more likely, there will be a crop mirrorless R to replace the 7D line. (R7?)

That said, depending on budget, if you're thinking of upgrading, then mirrorless is the way. I'm quite happy with my current DSLR but when the time comes, I will be going Canon R mirrorless.

I'm presuming you're bought into the Canon lens system, so you'd be looking at an adapter too to switch to mirrorless. Also presuming your budget is about £1.5 k, going on what a new 7Dii would've been.

You'd be looking at an R or RP for that money, the newer Rs are considerably more. The R has reasonable performance, even by today's standards although it is slightly older tech. If memory serves me right, the R has the same sensor as the 5Div and I can vouch for that being a lovely sensor.

It would probably be less faff and no need for an adapter to stay with a DSLR but they are gradually being phased out. If you don't mind that though and for the presumed £1.5k budget, you wouldn't go far wrong picking up a decent used Canon full frame body, you would probably get a 5Div used, with a few clicks on the clock for that money. I don't know what lenses you have but any EF fit lens will work on a Canon FF body.

I also have an M5, not had it long and it has really suprised me. The M6mkii is the latest, crop sensor mirrorless from Canon but you'd be looking at an adapter again to use your current Canon glass. I'm not sure the M series is entirely suited to sports though.

It's all a bit subjective and it depends what you want to do, horses for courses and all that but that would be my advice, based on the assumption you already have Canon glass.

There's the spectre of a brand change too, but be prepared to spend tons more on lenses, which is why I have suggested a Canon body.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Dale.

It's still working but the image quality is slowly getting worse so I think I need to change.

Its main use is for non-league football and I couple it with a 70/200 Canon lens. The combination suits although I admit the lens is not long enough to reach the far goal.

One other point is that I don't use a tripod - so whatever I use needs decent stabilisation and nothing too heavy.

One friend has suggested a Canon EOS 90D - which should be okay with my lens. But I'm to be convinced as yet.

Its main use is for non-league football and I couple it with a 70/200 Canon lens. The combination suits although I admit the lens is not long enough to reach the far goal.

One other point is that I don't use a tripod - so whatever I use needs decent stabilisation and nothing too heavy.

One friend has suggested a Canon EOS 90D - which should be okay with my lens. But I'm to be convinced as yet.

Replacing your body isn't going to change that ;) unless you're buying the new one so you have two and attaching a 300m or 400m to one of them.

Stabilisation shouldn't be an issue if your main use is football? You're going to have to go with R5 or R6 if you want in body image stabilisation.

I'm not sure 90D is going to have any noticeable improvement for you other than that it's newer so less wear and tear.

Back