Life's a Bitch - New Camera - Again

Name
That'll be Bob then
Edit My Images
Yes
Life's a Bitch - New Camera - Again
Well life really does throw up some challanges when one least expects it and for reasons various my Leica has to go, am absolutely gutted to be having to do this, I truly am, but some things in life are more important. Don't get me wrong, i fully intend to come back to Leica in a year or 2 and maybe the M10 by then.

In the meantime I need another camera and a few options spring to mind. I am sellingl the M9 and 90mm teleelmarit (this is a given), keep the Zeiss 35mm, buy a Zeiss M 21 mm and Ricoh GXR. This allows me to carry on shooting with an effective 32mm and 53mm set of lenses which I can take on to the Leica system in the future. However, having tried the leica 35mm F2, I much prefer its usability to the Zeiss, so would be prepared to sell the Zeiss and buy just a leica 35mm F2 or 28mm f2.8, maybe even a used 21mm f2.8 and away we go. That is kinda option 1.

Option 2 is to sell the lot, buy a Fuiji X100 or X10 and the difference in terms of cash, although not essential, goes towards that "life challange" above.

Option 3, sell the lot, buy a used canon G9 and same as above.

Option 4, sell the lot and buy a used Fuiji X100 and same as above.

Life can be a bitch, but as long as I can take pictures I will be happy, any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Bob (do I get a medal for shortest M9 ownership ever)

I did think about the M8 option, but if i am going to have to use a smaller sensor for a year or so i think the M8 is overpriced for what you get. the attraction of the M9 was the rangefinder/full frame combination. Now that full frame is out of the question for a while I am not so hung up on a rangefinder....saving money is key here and i am looking for something as cheap as i can for a year or so.

The M9/10 will have to wait for a year.

As for the D700/DSLR option, have had enough of DSLRs, really don't like the weight/bulk anymore so not as hung up on DSLRs as I used to be - when they get them back to Olympus OM size my interest may be re-kindled.

I personally don't think the Ricoh GXR will be a good option due to the crop factor. You could either get a Panasonic GH2 + M adaptor (less money) or Sony NEX 7 + M adaptor (about the same money as the GXR). I think the NEX 7 will give you the most Leica M like experience for not that much money.

I thought the Panny was a 2 times crop and the Sony was the same crop as Ricoh, 1.5 times? Am off to Manchester at the weekend so will pop into Jessops and have a play with the Sony 7 and see what i think before i make my mind up.

Definitely worth checking out the NEX-5N together with a M-mount adapter. Focus peaking, excellent low light performance and high quality optics make for a killer combination.

Yep, the NEX is a 1.5x crop factor.

I thought the Panny was a 2 times crop and the Sony was the same crop as Ricoh, 1.5 times? Am off to Manchester at the weekend so will pop into Jessops and have a play with the Sony 7 and see what i think before i make my mind up.

The panny is 2x crop but there are quite a number of wide angle options for Micro 4/3 so that is not so much a problem, and the GH2 has a very good EVF so you can shoot it to your eye and not at arms length.

The NEX 7 is 1.5 crop, but has the sensor is the latest generation sony 24mp one so it will be better in terms of sharpness and high ISO noise, and it has a very very good EVF (some have said as good as optical view finder) and a similar layout to a Leica M.

I have not mentioned the NEX 5N, as if you like eye level finders, once you have added the accesory finder to the 5N it is about the same price as the NEX 7 without the higher resolution sensor, and not quite as good controls.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, me and the staff at Jessops will become well aquainted over the weekend.

Me...new X100, that's all.
Become re-acquainted with my creative side.

I think only you can answer your questions in relation to how much budget you have. There is quite a price difference between a used Canon G9 and a new X100.

I have a Canon G11 and whilst it is a good compact I think you'd be dissapointed going down to a compact from a Leica M9. However if you need to put as much cash towards your life challange as possible, then a Canon G-series is a stunning camera for the money. Especially at used prices.

I have leica film gear (M6, 35mm v3 summicron and a voigtlander 50mm f1.5) and am stongly considering partnering it with a NEX 5N and EVF. Looks to be a good bit of kit with nice image quality that responds well to rangefinder lenses. If I could afford an M9 I would grab one straight away but that is not going to happen. I am not sure I would go M8 as they are getting rather long in the tooth. Save the lenses, get a 5N and adaptor and go back to whatever the latest digital M is when the time comes.

Ps, I know what you me with regards DSLRs, my 7D is becoming a chore to use and quite frankly is only used for wildlife nowdays. It just isn't fun to use.

The aim is to aquire some Leica glass and go back to a Leica body when I can, so a DSLR is still out of the equation for me. I got my hands on a Ricoh GXR this morning and it is a definate possibility. Although the Sony EVF is better, the Sony NEX 5N and 7 both suffer horribly from colour shift with wide Leica lenses fitted, the Ricoh doesn't. The Sony NEX 5 (pre 5N with 2Mpx less and suspected micro lenses) didn't suffer the colour shift but unfortunately you can't fit an EVF to it and that is a real shame as i don't like taking pictures from a rear LCD alone. The IQ out of the Ricoh is suprisingly good, similar to Leica they use no AA filter at all and the RAW images (DNG so another plus point there) are excellent. It will all boil down to money at the end of the day and a used Sony NEX 5 may be where I end up initially.....I have a couple of weeks to decide yet and i need to remember this is a stop gap body so a compromise may well be in order in the short term. A new Ricoh with Leica module and EVF is the best part of a thousand quid and a used Sony NEX 5 is £150 to £200 plus a bit for the Leica lens converter.

Im terms of budget, it is rather flexible. Selling the Leica allows me to clear some outstanding long term finance who's monthly repayment is large and I can take some additional finance out for a relatively small amount with a small monthly repayment and a part x with the Zeis 35 and Leica 90 allows me to walk away with a Leica 35 F2 and Leica 21 f2.8 (used) with very little outlay. These 2 lenses will form the basis of a future "all Leica" system. I just love the rangefinder too much to give up on it long term and am happy to bide my time.

On E bay with the Leica tomorrow - have to sell it yet and that isn't going to be easy at this time of year.

The reviews I have seen have not shown the colour shift on the 5n and only on the 7. I don't think it would affect me anyway as my widest lens is a 35 anyway! ;)

Not sure if this is any help to you but Foto Konijnenberg sell the Ricoh GXR body for around 230 quid and the M mount module for around 515 quid. They have free delivery at the moment, so less than 750 quid total. Within the EU will not get slapped with import tax I think?

Cheers, Clifton cameras are doing it for about the same price, but i will go and take a look.

Just waiting for the vagaries of e bay to take it's toll now and it's onwards and upwards, just hope i am not without a camera for long.

One thing that bothers me about the NEX series is that the shutter sound is pretty noticeable - they aren't exactly loud, but they have a high pitched whine which I can always pick out when someone uses one (last time it was at a gig). Don't know about the Ricoh, though, however the look from the files it produces is quite nice.

I'd probably get a NEX-5N + the viewfinder. I use the NEX-5 (not the N) as a back up for my M9 with the metabones M mount adaptor. The 50 Summilux ASPH renders nicely, and I bought a Zeiss 25mm and installed the new firmware for focus peaking and it is very handy.

Coming from an M9 it will be a bit of a step down in a lot of ways, but if it was me the NEX-5N (or NEX-7 next year) looks a nice stop gap until you get a new DRF.

Last edited:
Well the Leica is sold, so I will need to try both the GRX and NEX 5N this weekend and see which i prefer. To be honest and given the price difference the Sony looks good over the Ricoh as some Sony NEX 5Ns can now be had used and the less I spend on a stop gap body the more i can spend on some nice Leica glass.

You sold the Leica quick then, hope you got a decent price. There is a Leica price hike soon, so it will probably be reflected in the second hand market unfortunately. You can get a nice Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 for the NEX which will autofocus and being good glass you won't lose much if any money on it when you sell.

Keep us updated what you decide.

I bought the Leica used, so I didn't lose on the sale, will post an update in here next week and let you know what i got and what I think of it. The wife doesn't like lending me her point and shoot so need to get another soon:)

Well, I tried the NEX and for me (i am not what one would call lightly built) it was just too small. I couldn't get a 3 point grip and ended up just holding the lens and right side of the camera. The EVF was phenominal it must be said, but i just wasn't comfortable with it so have ruled it out. For others it may well suit, but not for me I'm afraid. Ricoh next...

I would think going to a G9 would be a massive step backwards after using a Leica. I agree, looking the NEX 5N or preferably 7, would be wise. I'd also take a look at the new GX1 along with the GH2.

I have a friend who always has a carry around his neck. He has a range of pro Nikon DSLRs and used to carry around a GF1 with 20mm 1.7 when he couldn't take his DSLRs. He recently bought an X100 and much prefers it to the GF1 so always takes that. I don't know too much about them but based on his experience would recommend at least comparing it while you're in the store!

Well after having tried them out my mind is made up that it is the Ricoh, did a deal that would see me with a Zeiss 21mm f2.8 and Leica 35mm f2....But the A12 module isn't available in this country until next March!!! Aaaarrrrggghhhhhhh.

Bites tounge and will just have to bide my time. Can't be without a camera for nearly 4 months though so i reckon a canon G10 used off the bay will see me through.

Well the deed us done, the deal made and i am happy. Am sure some will think i am barking mad but there is a method to it dontcha know:) (plus the fact I met a rather nice gent from Cyprus over the weekend...thankyou)

Arriving Wednesday a Fuji x100 - this will satisfy my need a quality snapper and the hunger for the digital workflow instant hit...am sure you know what i mean.

arriving this month a Zeiss ZM21mm f2.8 and Leica 50mm Sumicron (F2).

Next March/April either an M3 or M6 TTL 0.85 and a return to film and scanning.

The year after an M10? who knows, but until then it is a fond farewell to M9 and thanks for the ride.

L1000385.jpg by BobC44, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back