Light bleed issue

Name
Kenny Wallace
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if my title is correct but its the best I could manage.

When taking a picture with my Nikon D50 I get a strange colour / light bleed occurring, I have attached a picture of my problem. I took a picture of my living room light to show the problem.
This never happened before and only started occurring when I picked my camera up after 2 months of not being used.
I have had my camera sitting for this length of time before with no problems.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is and / or a solution.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Forgot to ask - Is that effect occurring with every photograph you take on a variety of subjects (including using natural light) and not just when you shoot very bright objects.

Arclight - I have already tried a factory reset prior to posting in the forum (probably should have said this).
It also occurs outside with natural light as this was where I first noticed it. It seems to be any form of bright light results in this effect with varying severity.

I might try emailing Nikon customer care and see if they can offer any solution. My initial thoughts are there is a fault with my sensor and if so probably not worth fixing as its on my 8 year old D50.

Crikey, it looks like a kid has painted over a front filter :confused:

Never seen anything like that before!

I presume it's the same reviewing the shot on the LCD?
Any difference shooting RAW vs jpeg?
Different lenses?

^^ Stupid questions maybe I know but not something I can offer exact advice for!!

Yeah looks like a fairly major fail on one of the boards, does this affect both RAWs & JPEGs?

Unfortunately as you say used values even on high up the models have crashed, you can pick up a D80 for sub £100 with warranty from MPB so probably cheaper to replace

On my LCD viewer the image is the same.
I don't shoot in RAW so cannot comment - reason is I don't have any editing software so no need to shoot in RAW.
I tries both my lenses to confirm it was a body issue.

Toying with the idea of just cutting my losses with this and selling for spares. Looking at a D3200 as the price for the body only is around about the £200 mark.

On my LCD viewer the image is the same.
I don't shoot in RAW so cannot comment - reason is I don't have any editing software so no need to shoot in RAW.

The camera creates a jpeg preview embedded in the image regardless of if shot raw or jpeg, so if the camera jpeg engine is fubar it could still display as fubar on rear screen, but your computer would open the RAW file OK. If it's the sensor or another fault then it'd still persist on the RAW. Even if then decided to cut your loses knowing they were OK on the RAW would increase the value of your camera to someone hopeful of fixing it (i.e. they'll pay you a bit more).

Tried shooting in RAW once home from work.
The RAW, NEF file still opens up with the same issue when the same picture was taken.

This is now pointing to it being a more serious a fault with the camera.

Back