Light leaks or something else?

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
Used some Cinestill800T as it was on offer. Got the shots back and the first five shots have got what looks like some sort of light leak on them.

I don't think it's the camera - not happened on any other film, and it got progressively less over about five shots then disappeared.

Film damaged?

Cinestill 01 by Kell, on Flickr

Cinestill 02 by Kell, on Flickr

Cinestill 03 by Kell, on Flickr

Cinestill 04 by Kell, on Flickr

Cinestill 05 by Kell, on Flickr

I'm not an expert, but I would say so.

Well I would also say a light leak although its usually white....using my Pentax S3 I used two rolls of film using a combo of 35mm flek and the other 135mm Sonnar and out of two rolls these two shots were ruined (all the other shots were ok). As only two shots were ruined never bothered to find the exact reason and just thought it might be during changing the film or the sun hit the lens at a funny angle.
35mm flek
yXavlLF.jpg

135mm Sonnar
IRNgAWi.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be a faulty light trap on the film cassette. Seem to remember having a similar problem years ago. Are all the faulty neg consecutive.

I've been plagued by light leaks on the first few frames of home-devved black and white films for a few years. I finally decided it was a leak through the cassette light trap that occurred while loading my Rondinax tank. The suggested way of attaching the film to the strap involves the cassette being upside down with the slot upwards! Recently I've been loading the film under (rather than in) my dark bag, and that seems to have fixed the problem. Sadly, for the last film loaded I obviously did something wrong in that process, as for the first time ever the film didn't load onto the spiral but wound itself round the spool axle! Result, 90% un-developed film 15 minutes later :(.

That said, no professional lab should have such a problem, surely? Although it's presumably possible it happened while handling the cassette when loading or unloading the camera. And, these Cinestill films are movie stock with anti-halation layer removed, so perhaps they are more at risk of light piping?

Well I would also say a light leak although its usually white....using my Pentax S3 I used two rolls of film using a combo of 35mm flek and the other 135mm Sonnar and out of two rolls these two shots were ruined (all the other shots were ok). As only two shots were ruined never bothered to find the exact reason and just thought it might be during changing the film or the sun hit the lens at a funny angle.
35mm flek
yXavlLF.jpg

135mm Sonnar
IRNgAWi.jpg
Track down the negs and the faults are at the beginning of each roll of film.....so for me it's because I didn't wind on say 3 frames. So for you it looks like leaky light trap on the cassette and as Chris said maybe you should load the film in darkness.

Another vote for light trap felt in the cassette. They used to say change the film in a dark room - could that be the cause?

Thanks for all the replies.

I did insert it while out and about - had no choice - and it was sunny. So guess that’s it.

Got another couple of rolls so I’ll be a bit more careful about loading them in the future.
Changing the film in the shade, or even turning your back on the sun and maybe using your jacket a bit might help?

Back