light meters

Edit My Images
Yes
Now I am closely eyeing up some lencarta flash kit, it has made me think about light metering.

Until now I have used the strobist style guesstimate of what exposures but now I am seriously considering a light meter.

I would like to know user experiences and how often you realistically use them! Whether you feel waste of money or good investment!

I just got some Lencarta heads - the ElitePro's as my first ever studio lights, and cannot recommend them highly enough, especially given the help that Garry Edwards on here gives.
Like you, I figured a flash meter would be a good idea, and I was lucky enough to get a Sekonic 308s off the forum, and it seems to be highly thought of at its price, so I would suggest that it is a good one to start looking at.
I think, from my very limited experience, that it is an almost essential tool to help one learn , though I cannot say I am very good with it yet.. If you can find one secondhand then what is there to loose bar the cost of postage when you sell it on if you don't use it ?
So thats a yes from me too !

Steve,thanks that's really helpful I can't run to the elites but I am hoping to stretch to the light meter as I would rather be getting it right in camera rather than chimping the whole time! I looked at that one hopefully will source one in here!

A meter is great for learning, and will make setting up multiple lights much easier. Sekonic 308 is good and relatively cheap.

I use a meter to check ratios etc, but always set the final exposure off the histogram/blinkies.

Rob - I went for the ElitePro's for the proportional modeling lights as much as anything - the extra power may be handy in time, but Garry actually suggested that the SmartFlash heads would be more than enough for me, so don't worry about getting them unless you have grand plans !
However, I had my lights for a couple of days before my meter arrived and it didn't take long before I was getting shots that were correctly exposed, so don't let not having a meter hold you back from getting your lights !

Back