Critique Light painting an old Kodak, and other things (now addaed).

Thanks, Les
Still experimenting with all this at the moment, but it is fun.

I've been lookng for an indoor project myslf- I have a few flash guns trigger etc - shame I don't have an old camera lol

Ive been shooting my guitars

PPUHWBw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been lookng for an indoor project myslf- I have a few flash guns trigger etc - shame I don't have an old camera lol

Ive been shooting my guitars

PPUHWBw.jpg

Oh that`s nice. I wish I could play, but I guess it has saved me a fair amount of money ;)

I`ve been using an adaptor and torch haha

Oh that`s nice. I wish I could play, but I guess it has saved me a fair amount of money ;)

I`ve been using an adaptor and torch haha

I have a pair of Lencarta smart flash 3's- allows for some creativity

like this

IEjbkvE.jpg

Thank you Paul its a Gibson 335 - here's a mono of my Gibson Les Paul - shot using a Lencarta Smartflash 3 and a circular soft box

avhyttP.jpg

Fender Stratocaster too

O6shNWa.jpg

Les :)

Thank you Paul its a Gibson 335 - here's a mono of my Gibson Les Paul - shot using a Lencarta Smartflash 3 and a circular soft box

avhyttP.jpg

Fender Stratocaster too

O6shNWa.jpg

Les :)

So cool... They are beautifully photogenic. Of these two, I prefer the framed one. But do like a flare ;)

Vey nice - may be a Sepia cast to make them look ancient ?

Les

YlDGbeb.jpg
Thanks, Les
Ooh I like that. Hadn`t thought of sepia. I usually either go B&W of mess with colour.

I feel inspired now- Thanks Paul. Now what could I photograph ?( stuck in awaiting a delivery) :(

Glad to have helped, Les :)
I reckon pretty much any old object would work. I need to play with a 10 stop filter, so I can try in daylight too ;)

Here`s my reworked version of the boots.

Timberland v2 sml.jpg

The other thing I was thinking about trying, was fruit (on a stand, or in a bowl). It might work well.

One from this morning ... This time with a 10 stop filter :)

Apple Music by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Hi Paul.

Like the "this morning image" very much.

Are you niggled you just missed a tad of light on the left arm ?

Great image it would have miffed me as I often miss things at the time of taking.

Gaz

Hi Paul.

Like the "this morning image" very much.

Are you niggled you just missed a tad of light on the left arm ?

Great image it would have miffed me as I often miss things at the time of taking.

Gaz

Thanks, Gary

Argh I didn`t really notice, until now you pointed it out, bugger. Trying to determin where to paint with the torch for 60 seconds can be a bit of an issue. I had a few hot spots (only small) which I managed to tone down. I might have a look and see if I can lighten up the left a tad.

Thanks, Gary

Argh I didn`t really notice, until now you pointed it out, bugger. Trying to determin where to paint with the torch for 60 seconds can be a bit of an issue. I had a few hot spots (only small) which I managed to tone down. I might have a look and see if I can lighten up the left a tad.

I just had a look and pulled as much as I dare to the left arm, but you can see it a bit better now.

Apple Music by Paulie-W, on Flickr

@Paulie-W Sorry about drawing the attension I know what that feels like I get it regular :) I do ask for critique though as it really does help me.

Good job pulling them highlights up a touch.

I can see your proficient at editing so " I know this is a cheat" but on situations like this I have selected and split the image down the centre added to new layer then flipped horizontally the moved it accross to place over the missing area. You can line this up as required and then reveal however much you like.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs.

I have used this numerous times, when shooting glass mainly. Never had anyone notice.

Gaz

@Paulie-W Sorry about drawing the attension I know what that feels like I get it regular :) I do ask for critique though as it really does help me.

Good job pulling them highlights up a touch.

I can see your proficient at editing so " I know this is a cheat" but on situations like this I have selected and split the image down the centre added to new layer then flipped horizontally the moved it accross to place over the missing area. You can line this up as required and then reveal however much you like.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs.

I have used this numerous times, when shooting glass mainly. Never had anyone notice.

Gaz

Hey Gary
No worries, mate. I`m always happy to get some tips on editing :) I do feel in this case, it might not work so well, as it was also lit from the side, and might look a bit odd. But will most definately be using that method for other stuff, thank you (y)

@Paulie-W

Totally agree won't work in every situation. I tend to use that method and sometimes adjust it so it don't look to symmetrical, if you get my drift.

Keep posting it's a great thread.
I have tried a little light painting, didn't go so well :-(

Gaz

@Paulie-W

Totally agree won't work in every situation. I tend to use that method and sometimes adjust it so it don't look to symmetrical, if you get my drift.

Keep posting it's a great thread.
I have tried a little light painting, didn't go so well :-(

Gaz

I`ll defo keep it in mind :)

It`s one of those things that`s very trial and error (mostly error on my part), but kinda fun. Give it another go, mate (y)

Back