Light painting cars

damianmkv

Uh oh, a fruit basket!
Edit My Images
Yes
My eldest is doing a-level photography and the subject at the moment is “light”

He wants to try some light painting - does anyone have any suggestions for a light source please ? It will need to fit in a rucksack so be compact...

Thanks

Have a look at Chris Benbow's website here https://www.noctography.co.uk/

It may sound odd, but flashguns are good source for light painting - as they are off while you're running around so no chance of accidentally drawing a big white line across your image. Battery powered LED light sticks , with diffusion can work well on cars - I've seen people suspend them on string and run down the side of a car for example - or put it on the end of a black pole and wave it over the centre of the car. I made some "light blades" out of clear acrylic sheet and some vacuum cleaner tube. Also clear acrylic tubes with a torch in - a la Eric Pare.. https://ericpare.com/ Or just a simple LED torch and some diffusion.

Lots of things can be used but just to give a run down of the typical type of lights for painting a car:

A torch/phone torch: being small sources the light sources are quite 'hard'. Typically you'd want something a bit softer as its easier to shape the car. They typically also lack power.
Torch in a softbox: take a regular softbox/strip box and shine your light through to negate issues above.
A light stick: What I have used in the past - an Icelight (see profile pic) which is expensive but there are cheaper versions that do the job too e.g. Yonguo/Pixelstick etc. You can use barndoors as well to really get the light where you want it and avoid spill (such as lighting yourself in the shot- little tip dress in all black when lighting a car).
LED video panel: the typical panel LED's used for video lighting. Works well and is typically what I've seen others who are starting out use.

If he's just starting out, I'd recommend he practices on cars with bright coloured paintwork so its easier to see what he's doing in terms of shaping the car etc. Black cars have a different approach and are a bit more complex.

Aldi and lidl often sell 360 degree and/or long thin battery/rechargable light sticks/work lights in with their tools, a bit of gaffer tape makes it a nice thin slice of light to play with.

Back