light stand and adapter

Name
Craig Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

just looking for some recommendations really, I am looking at getting a lighting stand and bracket/adapter to hold my SB800 off camera and possibly a umbrella as well. your experiences and input would be a great help

Cheers

Craig

Try ebay for light stands, they are pretty cheap. For the flash adaptor I would stick to an all metal one, something like the Manfrotto umbrella flash adaptor which is about £20.

I got a nice Calumet 60 inch umbrella from ebay which has a removable silver back so can be used in shoot through or reflective mode.

Depends how much you want to spend, you could get the whole lot for £30 or less on Ebay. The ones I have fold up really small and I can carry two of them plus umbrellas and adapters in a monopod bag.

Trouble is you'd be looking at £70+ per stand/adapter/umbrella....

I just bought 2 light stands on ebay for £30 and they seem solid. Also bought 2 white shoot through umbrellas for £15 each and I bought the adapter from camulet for £15 each. Bought a couple of coldshoes from 7dayshop.

As already said how much do you want to spend? I ended up spending around £70 on a Manfrotto Nano Lightstand and Adapter, but you could get something for around £20-30 I would imagine.

I paid a little extra as the last thing I want is for it to fall over and smash up my flash unit!

Another vote for Manfrotto light stand. The 001B is tiny, and solid. I use a 40cm umbrella on that.

The 60cm with removable cover (Calumet) is a great purchase, got mine for £25ish on eBay (special offer).

The Manfrotto Umbrella adapter is fantastic. Well built, and strong. I mount my 60cm softbox with it with no problems. The Lasolite adapter on the other hand is more expensive and a lot weaker (can't hold the softbox, plus the umbrella hole is not at an angle so the flash doesn't point at the center - it does on the Manfrotto). Taking mine back as soon as WEX get some Manfrotto's back in stock.

If you plan on shooting outside on location, make sure you get a sandbag! The 001B is best suited for indoor use. For outdoors (or the softbox), I use a Lasolite Lumen8 stand (model 1159) - big, strong and air cushioned for £25. Bargain :)

Where did you get your 60cm softbox from? Does it mount on the Manfrotto umbrella adaptor with no modifications?

i have been mulling over how much i am looking at spending and could probably afford the £70 ish option as suggest as i am looking for something that is going to last i have to say i like the look of the Lasolite Lumen8 stand and will probably go with the Manfrotto Umbrella adapter i presume it's this one? http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1005217

do i need a seprate attachedment to use this with my sb800?

and i will probably try and pick an umbrella off ebay,

Thanks for the input on this guys i am venturing into the unknown on this so it has been a great help

i have been mulling over how much i am looking at spending and could probably afford the £70 ish option as suggest as i am looking for something that is going to last i have to say i like the look of the Lasolite Lumen8 stand and will probably go with the Manfrotto Umbrella adapter i presume it's this one? http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1005217

do i need a seprate attachedment to use this with my sb800?

Thats the one - excellent piece of kit, especially at that price. You won't regret the Lumen8 stand either. I was planning to spend £50+ on an air cushioned stand so when I saw that for £24 I jumped on it :)

The SB-800 comes with a flash stand, if you look on the bottom it has a screw hole which is compatible with the Manfrotto. If you're using CLS to control your off camera flash, that's all you need.

subseasniper: Lasolite Ezybox from WEX, and yes it mounts without any other bits and bobs. You need the official mount of course. The softbox + mount is just over a ton. Well worth it, as it is very portable also.

RDH, is the official mount the one for attaching it to a light stand?

Could you link me the one you bought?

Back