Light trails/ painting with a difference

Edit My Images
Yes
One of my other hobbies is flying radio control planes and one of them is set up as a night flyer with over 200 LEDs attached to it. Tonight I went out and had a play. You have no idea just how hard it is to fly the plane and take photos at the same time! I dare say they could be better and next time I will lower the iso but my batteries were running out and I wanted more ambient light on the background and didnt have time to play about with other settings.

6364242673_62c0c9b8f0_b.jpg

6364240587_b0ebeb2bbc_b.jpg

6364236979_0d7a4b4d8b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I bet its hard flying a plane at , it doesnt really show as a plane maybe if it was a lot higher, as those effects could easily been done with light sticks, if you know what I mean theres no height in the shot, but good stuff all the same (y)

Last edited:
Those are seriously :cool: I look forward to seeing this used in other photo's (y) myself and another member had been discussing the possibility of setting up LED's on a RC Plane that I have say in my garage and seeing these makes me really want to do it (y) that last one is brilliant (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

rather.........bloody...........excellent..................:D

You've used great imagination, these are superb and i think a nicer lit background for this type of photography would really make them shine.
Love the light streaks they look like silk scarves (y)

Nice, I bet its hard flying a plane at , it doesnt really show as a plane maybe if it was a lot higher, as those effects could easily been done with light sticks, if you know what I mean theres no height in the shot, but good stuff all the same (y)

I get exactly what you mean - don't quite know how I'll get that height but I'll have a think - thank you.

Chris

Those are seriously :cool: I look forward to seeing this used in other photo's (y) myself and another member had been discussing the possibility of setting up LED's on a RC Plane that I have say in my garage and seeing these makes me really want to do it (y) that last one is brilliant (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I'm not that far from you, find a nice venue and I'll fly while you take pics!

chris

I get exactly what you mean - don't quite know how I'll get that height but I'll have a think - thank you.

Chris

Cool pleased you got my drift, I havent a clue how you would do it though maybe if it was a wider shot and the plane a fair distance a way may give it height

I'm not that far from you, find a nice venue and I'll fly while you take pics!

chris

Now there is an offer that I cannot resist, I have a few locations in mind (y) what about flying it under a bridge :thinking:

Matt

BT infinity anyone?

I really like this set, regardless of how it was done (y)

fantastic colours, and skill for flying :)

BT infinity anyone?

I really like this set, regardless of how it was done (y)

fantastic colours, and skill for flying :)

Thank you, I had to look up the BT Infinity reference but it's given me another idea for a pic so thanks again. Now to somehow get my flash gun and flying in synch!

Chris

Looking good.

To get the height, use a wide lens and compose from low down aiming upwards. If you manage to get set up earlier in the twilight period you could silhouette yourself with the controller; and if you don't get set up earlier, try lighting yourself with the flashgun.

Looking good.

To get the height, use a wide lens and compose from low down aiming upwards. If you manage to get set up earlier in the twilight period you could silhouette yourself with the controller; and if you don't get set up earlier, try lighting yourself with the flashgun.

Ooh! I like it! I'll try next time, thanks,

Chris

This is magic! love it!

I think the simple ribbon effect of the first two is more effective than the third, but kudos for taking the idea all the way.

Looking good.

That is what I was trying to say about the height, thanks Andy, like your idea of adding himself,

Also he could try some other light panting below could well be done as well, like a runway or something else just let the creative juices flow and have the plane landing and taking off type of thing (y) not as I could fly a plane at night :LOL: Id just end up with a crash scene :LOL:

Its a great idea by Chris, and has lots of scope for more of these imaginative shots, wish I could come along and have a go but you are to far away from me :(

Great set, great Idea. Once you have developed it further I am sure you will be composing some even better images with this kind of set up.

Great stuff (y) always good to see something with a twist. Plenty of possibilities with a RC Helicopter I would imagine.

Great stuff (y) always good to see something with a twist. Plenty of possibilities with a RC Helicopter I would imagine.

Thanks, the only problem is that flying a helicopter is about 8 times harder and, as far as I am concerned, impossible at night!

Chris

Superb shots, love number 1 and 2, could see an airline using something like this on a billboard with the right background...

Last edited:
Thanks, the only problem is that flying a helicopter is about 8 times harder and, as far as I am concerned, impossible at night!

Chris

I realise that Chris especially the larger outdoor ones but you only have to search the local RC club you could find someone who could do the flying leaving you to concentrate on the photography side of things.

They're brilliant, looking forward to the result if you have a hired hand to take the photo while you concentrate on the flying!

Back