Light Trails Sony Alpha 350

andiphoto

Knock-Off Nigel
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys.

I have a sony alpha 350 and im pretty new to DSLR photography. i would love to get into light trails and motion photography like people walking past like ghosts ect.

but when i try this all i get is a white screen.

Could someone possibly give me and any other sony alpha user who is new to dslr photography a step by step guide?

Regards,

Andy

What you need is the following -

a tripod
a dark night
some cars
patience

Set up your camera on your tripod and switch it to manual. Then go for a narrow aperture (F22 or similar) and set your shutter speed to 'bulb'. Then, using a remote trigger preferably, take the shot and keep it going for about 15-25 seconds. You should then get something like you were after! :D

Andy, I've not tried it and I'm no expert, but it sounds like you're overexposing big time. What settings are you using to capture with ?

If you haven't got a trigger, you might have to set a shutter speed, click your button and stand well back. You can experiment with different time settings until you get something you're happy with. Last time I tried, I had to adjust my white balance when I got home, as the sodium street lights made the picture very orange!

thats some good info...

as i say ive had no experience will a dslr and ive only learned of what i have by messing around..

i cant remember to be honest.. i think i was just trying to set the shutter time to like 30secs of summit ...

but ill try what candlestick said.

I'd guess the white screen is because the aperture is too big, so too much light has hit the sensor. For long exposures you're going to need a small aperture (big f/number, f/16, f/22) something in that area. Just experiment, keep the time constant and vary the aperture until you get the exposure you want!

Chris

It sounds to me if your shutter time was 30 seconds, your aperture is too wide (3.5 or summat??). The good thing about digital is you can have a play until you get it right, without the expense of putting film in the bin!!

And worth keeping the ISO low.

excellent info peeps... keep it up.

ill take all this on board and try and get some images over the weekend and put them up on here

This was taken on my alpha 100, not the same camera obviously but thought it might help.

Manual setting, multi metering, 25 second exposure f/5.6 and iso 100. looking back i should have had for a narrower aperture to get the backgorund in focus better.

My first post on here and i was messing about with the camera as i've not had it that long, so take it easy on me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/philwarren11/Bridgend Photoshoot/DSC07194copy.jpg

Nice one Pdub, and welcome!! I was wondering what the settings on a Sony camera would be, as I'm a Canonite! :D

i use ISO100,something like F/16-22 in manual mode,which normally gives me anything between 10-30 secs for correct exposure depending on how dark it is.here's a few i took with my alpha 350 last year...

DSC02521.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

i used a remote cable,but you can use the 2 sec timer.also,tripod mounted is a must...

Back