Light Trails - Where to shoot them (Google Maps)

Just to keep this in peoples minds, I have been slowly adding locations all around the UK over the last month with the help of flickr and its members, I would like to remind people that If you have a location for light trails please let us know via this thread or via PM to myself (MWHCVT) or Ben (lolage) and we will see that your location is added to map

Matt
MWHCVT

I thought that I would give this thread a little bump since we are getting back into the light trails season (y) we have been adding locations to the map throughout the year and there are now around 60 locations across the entire country (y) If you have any good locations please post details and a link to a photo from the location and I will make sure that it is added onto the map (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

byebyegti said:
i cant seem to add anything to the map, i tried to register, its not having any of it. lol

A14/A508 junction, north of northampton,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byebyegti/6176525182/
IMG_7486 by byebyegti's, on Flickr

I'm out at the moment but I'll add the location later for you (y) only a map admin can add locations as there was no other way to prevent user errors and miscreant activity :shrug;

Matt

Hi there,

I've been taking some light trails recently and want to share the location. How do I go about it though? I can't find a way on Google maps to copy the location for you. Am I being really stupid?

Here's a link to one of my shots. (hope this works!)

6238309365_d756095d3f_z.jpg
[/url] Light-Trails_03 by Leslie Stoddart, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi there Leslie, if you want to post an image into a thread on TP you will need the BBCode not the HTML see below

Flickr Insert Image on Forum by mwhcvt, on Flickr

If you want to add the location to the map send me the details and I will get it added (y) it has to be me or ben to add it to the map :D

If you need any help with light trails check out my light trails guide (y) see my signature for a link to that

Matt
MWHCVT

Cheers Matt. I think I've got it now as the image is showing up on my pc. I hope you can see it now.

The location is from a bridge on the Moss Road across the M876 just north of Larbert in Central Scotland.

Cheers Matt. I think I've got it now as the image is showing up on my pc. I hope you can see it now.

The location is from a bridge on the Moss Road across the M876 just north of Larbert in Central Scotland.

It's showing for me too (y) thanks for the location details it will be on the map within the next few minutes (y) just adding a few that I have to add, we need more in scotland as we only have a few thus far :D

Matt

It's showing for me too (y) thanks for the location details it will be on the map within the next few minutes (y) just adding a few that I have to add, we need more in scotland as we only have a few thus far :D

Matt

I'll see what I can do about getting some more locations in Scotland!

The first thing I did when I got a tripod was head out to do the light trails that are in my Flickr!

I'll see what I can do about getting some more locations in Scotland!

The first thing I did when I got a tripod was head out to do the light trails that are in my Flickr!

I've added you on flickr (y) I'm light trails mad so always happy to help hence working on the map and the guide to the trails :D

Matt

How do you add a location, I saved it to my locations, but cant edit it just add comment :thinking:

only myself of Ben(lolage) can add locations, Ben made me an admin on the map as we had a few issues when it was a open free for all with people adding locations to the wrong place or deleteing others by mistake :bang: any locations please let me know and I will add them (y)

Matt

only myself of Ben(lolage) can add locations, Ben made me an admin on the map as we had a few issues when it was a open free for all with people adding locations to the wrong place or deleteing others by mistake :bang: any locations please let me know and I will add them (y)

Matt

Ah OK thanks I'll let you know some good locations around Chorley Lancashire area (y)

Last edited:
I've added you on flickr (y) I'm light trails mad so always happy to help hence working on the map and the guide to the trails :D

Matt

I've added you back on Flickr (y)

I actually remember reading your guide to light trails a long time ago. Long before I had a camera capable of capturing them!

I've been thinking about your shots of East Midlands airport and how you went about getting them. Did you contact the airport or are they shot from outside the perimeter? Also, if they are shot from outside the perimeter did you get any enquiries from the police about what you were doing? I can't imagine that the police or airport security would allow that to go unchallenged if they saw you.

I think I there might be a good location at Edinburgh Airport to get some similar shots but I probably need to scout it out a bit more.

They were done from out side of the airport (y) and I didn't contact the airport, your right there can be issues with the security and police but actually there is nothing that your doing wrong and often or not if you talk to them tell them exactly what your doing and maybe show then they will usually not have an issue, I've never actually been spoken to by the security or police at EMA personally though one time a security van did drive past about 50 times in 6 hours :thinking:

Matt

When working with long exposures like above you'll get the best effects when there's no horrid tungsten street lighting around.

Light pollution is the evil of night/long exposures.

You can download google maps and add a light pollution map ( awesome stuff ).

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

The link to the google map is about half way down the page.

Find somewhere with little light pollution and you're on to a winner (y)

Not many locations around Bristol, so I thought I would offer up my only traffic trail to date.

Location - 51.556849,-2.5384
Description - Bridge over the M5 looking south toward the RAC Tower at Almondsbury Interchange

Light Trail, M5 by Graham Vincent, on Flickr

Not many locations around Bristol, so I thought I would offer up my only traffic trail to date.

Location - 51.556849,-2.5384
Description - Bridge over the M5 looking south toward the RAC Tower at Almondsbury Interchange

Light Trail, M5 by Graham Vincent, on Flickr

Thanks for the Details, I've added you on flickr, I've added your location onto the map (y) your right we need more locations in your area so please keep a look out (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

lolage great idea, I travel on the M5 between junction 30 and 31 and every so often I think to myself I really should get up on that bridge. some evenings this time of year are perfect for it especially with Haldon in the background. the only downside now though is they constantly have a large display light saying "60 minutes to bodmin". Supposed I could get rid of in post. Thanks for this,

Ben, Matt,

Please could you add 52.038521,-0.593444 to location map.

Farm access bridge over new A421 (public, not private) accessed from old A421.

Type of shot available:
IMG_1302_edited-1 by Jon_Chalk, on Flickr

bump - I've just added a location I spotted a few weeks back.

Just seeing if anyone has any good locations to add to the map? Feel free to reply or PM me or Matt! (y)

edit: I wonder if we can get this moved to the creative photography forum?

Last edited:
bump - I've just added a location I spotted a few weeks back.

Just seeing if anyone has any good locations to add to the map? Feel free to reply or PM me or Matt! (y)

edit: I wonder if we can get this moved to the creative photography forum?

I have a few locations that I need to add that I've done recently, I will make the time to do that this weekend (y)

Not many locations around Bristol...

I reckon the Gordano Valley has lots of potential as it's unusual split-level section of the M5. There's a bridge here which allows access to shots like this...

Gordano Valley light trails by handbrakebob, on Flickr

The view the other way is quite interesting too, you can see J20 (Clevedon) although street lights are annoying.

I've only been once, sadly it was a bit misty and my lens quickly followed suit. I need to go back and try again.

The bridge is best accessed from Nortons Wood Lane, a steep 400yds climb up a rocky bridleway. The bridge only carries the bridleway so you'll have it to yourself. There's wire mesh on the parapet, but it's fine if you're careful how you position the camera.

I reckon the Gordano Valley has lots of potential as it's unusual split-level section of the M5. There's a bridge here which allows access to shots like this...

The view the other way is quite interesting too, you can see J20 (Clevedon) although street lights are annoying.

I've only been once, sadly it was a bit misty and my lens quickly followed suit. I need to go back and try again.

The bridge is best accessed from Nortons Wood Lane, a steep 400yds climb up a rocky bridleway. The bridge only carries the bridleway so you'll have it to yourself. There's wire mesh on the parapet, but it's fine if you're careful how you position the camera.

Thank you very much for that location it has now been added onto the light trails map (y)

Matt

I'm probably going to use an 18-135 on my canon 60D for doing the trails, what lens has everyone else used?

I'm probably going to use an 18-135 on my canon 60D for doing the trails, what lens has everyone else used?

That should be fine mate, I only ever used my kit lens on my old Nikon camera but now that I moved to Canon and have more kit I may try using my wide angle too. But anything around the 18-25mm should be fine (on a crop sensor anyway).

Looking forward to getting out doing light trails again, not done it for a while since the evenings have been light!

That should be fine mate, I only ever used my kit lens on my old Nikon camera but now that I moved to Canon and have more kit I may try using my wide angle too. But anything around the 18-25mm should be fine (on a crop sensor anyway).

Looking forward to getting out doing light trails again, not done it for a while since the evenings have been light!

Well we're about a week of light trails season IMO

Just been out on the A421 location on the TP map. Uploaded my first shots for critique, but as expected the roads were quieter being dark so late (7.30pm ish)

Just been out on the A421 location on the TP map. Uploaded my first shots for critique, but as expected the roads were quieter being dark so late (7.30pm ish)

Realistically the light trail season starts about now for busy motorways, which I why I'm just processing one tonight, other roads give it till the end of september and you'll be good to go :woot:

Back