Light trails

Edit My Images
Yes
:wave:......complete newbie here

Been lurking a cpl of months and last Friday took the plunge and bought my first DLSR, a D3100 18-55mm lens kit.

TBH its made me a bit :nuts: over the last few days, just trying to learn the basics :bonk:

Anyway......I have always liked the look of light trails and after reading the tutorial by MWHCVT (y), thought I'd have a go

Living only 10 minuets from Scammonden Bridge, it seemed the obvious place to start

Here's one I took last night

Here's another I took this evening looking towards the bridge

Personally, for first attempts, I am happy enough, but did think they both look a little oof......so any advice and :help: greatly accepted :)

Cheers, Phil

Last edited:
sorry.....double post

Thanks Dave .......but was thinking a little more along the lines of improving the actual technique :D

Phil, are you using a remote shutter release and perhaps the mirror lock-up function? (or Nikon's equivalent )

Your shot, especially the 2nd looks a little blurry to me, if they were sharper i think it would improve them a lot. but love the composition on the first one :)

Thanks Dave .......but was thinking a little more along the lines of improving the actual technique :D

OK think you should use manual focus, because when you press your cable release it may try to refocus and miss, or use AF and then switch it to manual before taking the shot

Simon, I like that......your light trails are a lot sharper than mine

I've thought and better thought........but I'm struggling to come up with anywhere round me that's busy and doesn't have street lighting :(

There's plenty of roads without lighting.......just not enough traffic :shake:

Think tomorrow I'm going to treat myself to a remote shutter release so I can get a longer shutter time than 30 seconds.......and travel further a field (y)

Last edited:
Phil, are you using a remote shutter release and perhaps the mirror lock-up function? (or Nikon's equivalent )

Your shot, especially the 2nd looks a little blurry to me, if they were sharper i think it would improve them a lot. but love the composition on the first one :)

Ben....no I haven't got one yet.....I was just replying above to Simon at the same time as you were asking, but that will be remedied tomorrow :D

I did find it hard to focus using mf and did think they were oof

OK think you should use manual focus, because when you press your cable release it may try to refocus and miss, or use AF and then switch it to manual before taking the shot

Dave.......all taken on board for my next attempt (y)

Phil-D said:
:wave:......complete newbie here

Been lurking a cpl of months and last Friday took the plunge and bought my first DLSR, a D3100 18-55mm lens kit.

TBH its made me a bit :nuts: over the last few days, just trying to learn the basics :bonk:

Anyway......I have always liked the look of light trails and after reading the tutorial by MWHCVT (y), thought I'd have a go

Living only 10 minuets from Scammonden Bridge, it seemed the obvious place to start

Here's one I took last night

Here's another I took this evening looking towards the bridge

Personally, for first attempts, I am happy enough, but did think they both look a little oof......so any advice and :help: greatly accepted :)

Cheers, Phil

Very strange....... I was on the exact same bridge, in the exact same spot taking the exact same shot 2 days after you !!!
I was driving home from work (Manchester) on the Thursday and the sunset looked amazing (there was a guy in a landrover parked at the side of the motorway taking some shots of it, was that you ?) anyway I didn't have my camera on me which was a shame, so the next day I took my camera to work hoping the sky would be kind enough to give the same sunset.......... It didn't happen as it was way too cloudy. So I stopped off anyway and did some light trails for the first time from the bridge and from the spot at the side of the motorway (which took forever to get to).
Ill post my results up later in the week, but tbh, they are all very much like yours from the bridge. I'm very happy with them for a first time, as should you be. :)

These are some of my first attempts at light trails or light related pics using long exposure.
I've had my camera since August so still very much a beginner, but the light trails were one of my first ever solo shoots.
lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

Here is a link to my Flickr because I cannot fathom hot to link my photos directly.

Just uploaded a few of my light trails / long exposure shots.

It is a great style of shooting & it's so much fun when you are new to it.

I've only had my camera since August this year and I started shooting these shots around September-ish.

Very strange.......

I was driving home from work (Manchester) on the Thursday and the sunset looked amazing (there was a guy in a landrover parked at the side of the motorway taking some shots of it, was that you ?)

Small world, eh? :cool: next time peep ya horn :LOL:

Sounds like it could have been me........as you came under Scammonden Bridge and passed over the dam wall.......I was parked next to the motorway on the left. Its the access road down to the pumping station.

I was in the missus Shogun Pinin, so I can see why you thought landrover.

The 2nd of the photos was taken from a good way down the access road so that I could get the arch of the bridge in.

I was going to post a cpl more, but it looks like they could have been on a sdhc card I've been having problems with. :(

I've just ordered a remote trigger release so I can get some longer exposures, should be here for Wednesday so, weather permitting, I'll be out trying again then (y)

The photos in your Flickr look cracking, I like the ones taken at the skate park (y)

Cheers mate,

I'm in Keighley but would be up for a trip to Lanc border if you ever fancy a shoot. Night photography when the skies clear over winter are great.

Anyway PM if you ever fancy a meet up. I'm rank amateur but always shoot with a few people. You'd be welcome to join us for an evening if you wish.

Any locations you may know too.

regardless appreciate the comment. Keep snapping bud.

PS. To reduce any blur, I shoot 30 sec exposures but just set a 2 second timer so i don't knock the camera when i press shutter button. Also for surreal shots try moving your zoom/focus rings over a long exposure. Can look horrid, but sometimes looks quite loverly

Last edited:
Damian, thanks for the offer to join you, that would be good :cool:

Just let me know when your over this way (y)

As said earlier, I'm a complete novice but keen to learn. If it wasn't for what I've read on here, I wouldn't know where to start shooting owt :LOL:

atb, Phil

Yup, that was definitely you then.
I managed to find the access road after seeing you and others previously parked there, took me a while to find it after leaving the bridge. I realised after, that it wasn't that hard to find if I'd only gone the other way round and under the motorway... Ha.

I've just ordered a remote trigger release so I can get some longer exposures, should be here for Wednesday so, weather permitting, I'll be out trying again then

I'm still waiting on mine arriving, I ordered it a while ago from eBay, should be here any day now. For my shots I used bulb mode, which isn't ideal but I was happy with the results even so.

Btw, if I see you again, ill make sure I beep the horn........

Might call back up one night when my remote thingymabob arrives, so I might even see ya.

Living in the area then you might be able to tell me if scapegoat hill is easy to access ?
I've seen it from the motorway, and it was going to be my 3rd location that night for some distance light trails but it was pitch black when i arrived and I was in my work clothes (shirt & tie) so wasn't best kitted out for trekking.....

Rich, the coincidence's keep coming :LOL:

This picture was took on the same night as my first photo

DSC_0148.jpg

Its taken on the bridge that leads up to Scapegoat Hill :LOL: ......the wagon had just started to cone off the outside lane

tbh, I've only ever driven up and over the tops down to Slaithwaite.

I actually live 10 minutes in the other direction, down past Ringstone ressi and through Barkisland, so I don't know the Scapegoat hillside very well.

I did wonder if you meant Pole Moor when you said you could see it from the motorway.

One of my next pictures is going to be of where the motorway splits around the farm. If you pass over Scammonden Bridge, heading towards Buckstones (where they do the hang-gliding),pass the quarry entrance on right then at the end of the next two fields, there is a footpath (where the moor starts, its all on the right), its only 100yrds or so to the hill edge where you can look down onto the motorway.

You are also looking down at Boothwood ressi, right next to the m/way. It'll look good at night with reflecting lights

I've got a few good photos I've taken there, all during the day though, catching the reflections of wagons on the water on still days with my old bridge camera.

Also look out for the resident short eared owl. It hunts the moor all round there. I've managed a cpl of pics........ only at distance .....you can just about see it's an owl in the photos :LOL:

Next time your up, give me a shout......or if its just by chance as your passing, look out for me, the missus usually comes with me too........its a great area for walking and taking a few photos (y)

atb, Phil

Last edited:
Very strange coincidences.........

I think the area I'm thinking is scapegoat hill is just to the right of your view from this shot, all you can see from the motorway is like a small monument and maybe a bench seat? I think I'm going to get there a bit earlier next time, ill give you a shout and if your around it'd be good to meet up.

I have seen a couple of hand gliders over that way near the farm in the middle but never knew how to get to the location on the hill. Thanks for the heads up. A shot of the owl would be a big bonus too, ill keep my eyes peeled.

Take it easy.
Rich

Phil,

Heres some of mine from a couple of nights later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89651923@N02/sets/72157632063028824/

Rich

Rich, your flickr album looks cracking.....I like the ones taken whilst it still looks day light (y)

It would be good to take some shots around there together (y)

Conditions looked perfect this afternoon, clearing skies and little wind..........

Where did the missus drag me off to.............Medowhall! ...:shake:...... :LOL:

On the plus side, the wireless trigger release has arrived, so I'm going to have a play :D

Friday looks promising weather wise, so I'll probably be up around Scammonden, taking a few shots in the afternoon/ early evening if your about (y)

atb, Phil

I've just updated my flickr account. There ought to be a link in my signature so feel free to have a look and by all means give me some feedback.

What's worth shooting round your end Phil? I don't often venture over to Lancashire but I'm sure there's a lot worth snapping.

*Link wasnt there so HERE ya go*

Last edited:
Hi Phil really great start and as stated you should be well happy.
I am not an expert at this but have had a go a few times and am allways chuffed when they turn out ok.
I myself just put the camera on a 10 second timer.Try to get to your spot in the blue hour if the sky gonna be in the shot. set tungsten wb in those areas where really well light with street lamps.Or shoot raw so you can move the slider after to remove some of the yellow.

Great stuff.

Gaz

I've just updated my flickr account. There ought to be a link in my signature so feel free to have a look and by all means give me some feedback.

What's worth shooting round your end Phil? I don't often venture over to Lancashire but I'm sure there's a lot worth snapping.

*Link wasnt there so HERE ya go*

Damian, flikr looks great, love the fireworks its definitely something I want a go at (y)

As for what's worth shooting, it depends what your after. There's no shortage of scenery, I've took quite a few over the years of reservoirs with reflections, dam walls, looking along the curve, looking down, looking up when they're over flowing.........that type of thing :)

Ryburn Dam below Battings reservoir is a beautiful spot, well worth a look if that's what you like. :cool:

Also Ogden reservoir nr Milnrow, there's some lovely walks round the hills and great photos to be had looking down on to the water (y)

Hi Phil really great start and as stated you should be well happy.
I am not an expert at this but have had a go a few times and am allways chuffed when they turn out ok.
I myself just put the camera on a 10 second timer.Try to get to your spot in the blue hour if the sky gonna be in the shot. set tungsten wb in those areas where really well light with street lamps.Or shoot raw so you can move the slider after to remove some of the yellow.

Great stuff.

Gaz

Gaz, White balance :thinking:........I was at a loss as to what to set wb at for light trails,I just left it on auto, thanks for the tip. Is tungsten the same as incandescent? I have the option, as I guess most dslr cameras do, to save a photo in both jpeg and raw, I'll try that so I can have a go at pp and then I can compare it to the one saved in jpeg (y)

Gaz, White balance :thinking:........I was at a loss as to what to set wb at for light trails,I just left it on auto, thanks for the tip. Is tungsten the same as incandescent? I have the option, as I guess most dslr cameras do, to save a photo in both jpeg and raw, I'll try that so I can have a go at pp and then I can compare it to the one saved in jpeg (y)
Re white balance.If thats the option available give it a go and see what happens.Sometimes I leave it on auto too.Yes save as raw and jpeg. I don't know about the Nikon software but if it is anything like the Canon raw software it is very simple to use and white balance in the raw software is sooooo easy to adjust as is the exposure/ highlights/shadows and sharpness.

Gaz

Phil-D said:
Rich, your flickr album looks cracking.....I like the ones taken whilst it still looks day light (y)

It would be good to take some shots around there together (y)

Conditions looked perfect this afternoon, clearing skies and little wind..........

Where did the missus drag me off to.............Medowhall! ...:shake:...... :LOL:

On the plus side, the wireless trigger release has arrived, so I'm going to have a play :D

Friday looks promising weather wise, so I'll probably be up around Scammonden, taking a few shots in the afternoon/ early evening if your about (y)

atb, Phil

Thanks, I'm happy with the ones I've got on Flickr but I know there is lots of room for improvement as I learn. I get loads of enjoyment from it which is the main thing I guess.

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh, I hate meadowhall, and shopping in general tbh, but if the missus says, that's what goes I guess. (Well that's how it works in my house) haha.

Weather seems perfect today for round our way so you should be able to get some great shots up over scammonden. Unfortunately I'm not able to get there today as we're going away upto Northumberland for the weekend so need to dash home early. Thanks for the offer though, maybe next time. Hope you get some good ones.

Did your trigger arrive yet ?

Rich

Morning Rich,I hadn't even looked in the meeting section before but I'll keep my eye on it from now on, cheers (y)

Yes.....the wireless trigger turned up, for 20 quid I'm very happy with it (y)

How did you go on, on the M62 Friday? It looked mad, even the roads over the top were packed with traffic trying to avoid the accident :shake:

Certainly couldn't get no light trails, just stationary traffic :shake: :D

I call this one, planes, trains and automobiles.

I could have done with spending a bit more time on location but only had 10 mins free, however, now that I know the location I can go back and do a better job.

Sorry about watermark, just pulled it if my FB page from phone.

266856_389632781112383_479248969_o.jpg

Barry, that's a cracking shot (y)

Care to share the location? :whistle: :D

Phil-D said:
How did you go on, on the M62 Friday? It looked mad, even the roads over the top were packed with traffic trying to avoid the accident :shake:

Certainly couldn't get no light trails, just stationary traffic :shake: :D

I managed to avoid the M62 on Friday tea time, I was in stoke when I heard the traffic was bad so I went M1, one of the best decisions of my life..... Haha.

This was one of my very first light trails using the Supertram. I'm trying to get back out there now we have the early nights. For me, the hardest part is finding a good location.

IMG_0262.jpg

Back