Light trails

Name
stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is in the correct area, however it is transport related ?! unfortunately, there's some 'noise' in the pictures - but i have no idea what setting it is on the camera to stop it happening ?

These pics were taken while up in Carnforth at my sisters - north bound on the M6. (Just after the Truck Haven exit)

Camera used is an S3380 Fuji 'bridge' camera. C&C welcome as always !

Noise is a result of your ISO settings, the lower they are the less noise you should see (although it will make your exposure longer).

If there's no noise reduction in camera then you do some noise reduction in photoshop afterwards. Alternatively you need to take a 'dark frame' after the shot and use software to subtract the noise from the image. Google 'dark frame noise reduction' to get more info.

Heres a quick edit of your photo to show the effects of noise reduction in PS and a 'medium contrast curve'

trails2-edit.jpg

Noise is a result of your ISO settings, the lower they are the less noise you should see (although it will make your exposure longer).

Good to know, thanks ! i'll have a looksy at the ISO setting next time i'm having a play.

If there's no noise reduction in camera then you do some noise reduction in photoshop afterwards. Alternatively you need to take a 'dark frame' after the shot and use software to subtract the noise from the image. Google 'dark frame noise reduction' to get more info.

Heres a quick edit of your photo to show the effects of noise reduction in PS and a 'medium contrast curve'

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/data/500/trails2-edit.jpg

Thanks, i played with the settings in photoshop - on my screen i can still see the noise even in the edit you've done.

i'm trying to learn how to take the picture properly, rather than relying on photoshop to clear it up - i've been using photoshop for the last 10 years (and its now supplied through work, thankfully), I always try to make my pictures as realistic as possible - or i'd just turn up the vibrance, play with the shadows / highlights settings, use the noise filter et voila, job done - but to me, that's not what photography is all about :)

:plus1: This is entirely correct these were shot at far too high of an ISO which is the reason that they are so noisy..

The focus is off on all of them they're all soft...the noise is a real problem too but as said above that is down to the ISO used...they're over exposed especially noticeable in the last two your where the red tail light trails have become almost white

I suggest you check out my guide to light trails you can find a link to that in my signature be sure to ask any questions you may have from reading that guide (y)

excellent, ta muchly.

i'm not sure what a 'soft focus' is, but i'll consult the might of Google and see what it says. I'll also take a look at your light trail guide as i find them fascinating !

Back