Lighter or Darker ? - Mono Warning ;)

DJW

Edit My Images
Yes
Which do you prefer ? Will give me an indication if my screen is setup right, plus a view on peoples tastes :thumb: I'm going for dramatic look......

Gretton-BW-FM.jpg

Gretton-BW-FM-1.jpg

#2 for me, good tonal range there.

Obviously it would be better in colour ;)

However I'd go for the first one. Contrast is a bit too high on the second - stands out more but looks artificial. I see the tree line on the left going up the hill as almost a black stripe in the second one.

2nd would be my choice, the darker one definately says dramatic to me.

Agree with Venomator - the first one looks a bit blown out to me.

1st one for me.

There are three main areas that I see; sky, tree, and foreground. All have different textures and the second one (for me) makes my eyes jump around without settling anywhere.

The first one takes me straight to the tree then my eye moves around to explore but in a more leisurely and thus more enjoyable way.

But that could all be pretentious b**l**** :getmecoat

Gary W

Great shot indeed.......have to say shot number two though. I really like these hard, punchy, contrasty images. Cracker Dave :thumb:

2nd one for me without a doubt.

Remember in monochrome you 'interprete' what you see and I think the 2nd is a good interpretation.

I always try to achieve pure black through to pure white and as many intermediate tones as I can squeeze out.

It's a style you either love or hate, but at least it is a style.

I prefer No2, but as Robert picked up on, you're losing detail in the shadows Dave. I know the punchy contrasty style has a following, and I'm probably an old fashioned git, but technically there's no good reason for losing detail, it's not a silhouette.

I just think the 2nd shot needs some selective adjustment to the shadow areas to show a little more detail, which is no different to the dodging and burning you and Ansell Adams would have done to achieve the same thing in the darkroom. :)

I prefer no.2 I feel it has more depth to it with increased contrast. Nice shot btw :)

For the dramatic look my vote for No 2 - No doubt those who stayed on the technical side will say 1

CT said:
I prefer No2, but as Robert picked up on, you're losing detail in the shadows Dave. I know the punchy contrasty style has a following, and I'm probably an old fashioned git, but technically there's no good reason for losing detail, it's not a silhouette.

I just think the 2nd shot needs some selective adjustment to the shadow areas to show a little more detail, which is no different to the dodging and burning you and Ansell Adams would have done to achieve the same thing in the darkroom. :)

Wise words :thumb:

Bachs said:
I always try to achieve pure black through to pure white and as many intermediate tones as I can squeeze out.

That's what Adams tried to do in the camera with his Zone Metering System, but of course he couldn't most of the time and had to resort to dirty tricks in the darkroom. :D If he was around today, I bet he'd have loved Photoshop. ;)

You're right though, a good black, a good white (if they're there) and all the tones in between is the print that knocks your eye out.

I'm going for the second one :) Very dramatic. The first looks a little too 'wishy washy' for my liking, although I'd quite happily settle for somewhere inbetween the two :)

Darker. It looks more dramatic. :)

CHeers guys & gals.....I preferred 2 overall but take onboard comments re shadows etc. At least I know my monitor must be calibrated OK....well mostly ;)

No. 2 for me!

Oh, too late :getmecoat

Back