Lighthouse at dusk

S

Steve

Two photos of the lighthouse at New Brighton.

IMG_2750_01.jpg

IMG_2800_01.jpg

Comments welcomed.

Interesting lighting there Steve. Very nice. :)

I guess it's only fair that you invade New Brighton since Pete and I were invading Salford Quays! Just leave us West Kirby and we won't have to go to war. :D

Very nice. I've been meaning to do a shot like that of the lighthouse all lit up for months. Its just the small glitch of it being New Brighton :) Definetly prefer the 2nd.

I really like them, the texture in the downlighting must be lovely in the full size version.

I'm not sure about the 1st one... skies like this tend to be amazing to look at but on print/screen it's hard to do it justice & distract from the rest of the pic... is this near where you live? ... I just think with a stormy/moody sky this would make a better pic.
2nd one is much better, well composed, marvelous :thumb:
Just my 2p :D

Dave said:
Interesting lighting there Steve. Very nice. :)

I guess it's only fair that you invade New Brighton since Pete and I were invading Salford Quays! Just leave us West Kirby and we won't have to go to war. :D

Invade we will ;) Actually the evening did not go as planned, due to getting caught in traffic on the way there was a tight time restriction that prevented a proper reccy of the area. I am sure that there are many more places that offer great photo oppotunities.

There is always next time though :D

Hedgehog said:
I'm not sure about the 1st one... skies like this tend to be amazing to look at but on print/screen it's hard to do it justice & distract from the rest of the pic... is this near where you live?

It does have much more impact on the full size photo but I understand what you are saying. Its about an hour away from where I am or just over 2 hours due to terrible traffic on this occation..

dazzajl said:
I really like them, the texture in the downlighting must be lovely in the full size version.

Yes it is, there is something about the quality of the second picture that makes it jump out from the screen when viewed full size.

How rather fab.

I like 'em both and I'd imagine the second one would look stunning at full res. Is that a post or something in the centre of the first photo? For me, the photo wouldn't work so well without it. It sort of provides a link to the vertical of the lighthouse. And the second has such great sky.

I did chug along to Portland Bill a few weeks back but the sky was a washout. It'll be a good location for a stromy weather pic.

(And where's New Brighton - and don't say just down t'road from the Old 'un)

very nice, the second is really nice, the first i think needs to be full size on a wall to be appreciated, the sky is very dramatic!

milou said:
How rather fab.

I like 'em both and I'd imagine the second one would look stunning at full res. Is that a post or something in the centre of the first photo? For me, the photo wouldn't work so well without it. It sort of provides a link to the vertical of the lighthouse. And the second has such great sky.

Its a pole/marker type thing at the end of the wave break.

milou said:
(And where's New Brighton - and don't say just down t'road from the Old 'un)

It can be found in the NE tip of the Wirral not to far from Hoylake and on the opposite side of the River Mersey to Liverpool.

Thanks for the comments :)

I actually prefer the first one simply as the reflection isn't complete in the second. Not much you could have done about it though.

The second one does it for me!
I wouldn't dare offer a more serious critique, me being new and you being admin
(oh, I forgot, and I'm not as good as you!!!) :FIcamerap

Steve said:
Its about an hour away from where I am or just over 2 hours due to terrible traffic on this occation..

But yeah at least my witty banter, and dashingly good looks made the journey all the more enjoyable. :thumb:

I got a shot very similar to the second (but not as good...git), but then again, I did openly admit to poaching that spot from you :D

I do prefer the second one over the first.
The first one, although pretty and very pleasing, it doesnt jump out at me with the wow factor.
The second, especially with that reflection, jumps out, smacks me about a bit, grabs a microphone and shouts WOW down my ear'oles. You get the jist.

Bachs said:
The second one does it for me!
I wouldn't dare offer a more serious critique, me being new and you being admin
(oh, I forgot, and I'm not as good as you!!!) :FIcamerap

dont let that put you off, Steve wont mind at all!:D

EosD said:
dont let that put you off, Steve wont mind at all!:D

Exactly, we are all equal here and every opinion counts no matter who they are from or what level they perceive their skill level to be.

We can all learn.

Back