Lighting for Dogs...

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
My partner has set up a dog grooming salon.

Could somebody please recommend a simple, reasonably inexpensive and easy to use lighting set up so that I might capture some half decent photos of the mutts before and after their tidy up?

Thanks.

For a studio type set up black works better than white IMHO. Simple lighting with one light in front and above and a second rim light works well (again IMHO)

Which lights might be suitable that I might get do you think?

Ok I have to say it sorry but the best lights that are suitable are ones that work. My weird sense of humour again

Last edited:
Which lights might be suitable that I might get do you think?

FWIW I use Bowens 300w heads, but that as much cause they're what I had rather then a decision to use them I also use a large soft box above for the front light. Most dogs won't stay that still so your lighting setup does need to allow some subject movement

Here's though - what about natural light as in outside??? :)

One here of the wifes pooch - shot thios in our local park

B0ZT2Yc.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:

B0ZT2Yc.jpg

But not that useful if the OP needs consistent results at different times of the day, all year round.

Not helpful, sorry, but every time I read the thread title I think of Alan Coren's book, "Golfing for Cats".

Sorry. :)

Not helpful, sorry, but every time I read the thread title I think of Alan Coren's book, "Golfing for Cats".

Sorry. :)

Absolutely brilliant book.

The reason for the title is even better.

He got the illustrator to depict the three best selling subjects on the front cover: Cats, Golf and Nazis (the flags were swastikas).

B0ZT2Yc.jpg

That's a smashing capture of the " pooch " Les, the eye contact is great. I would clone out the lead so she looks unrestrained.

I once adopted a rescued Border Collie who had clearly spent his previous life chained up in a farmyard, he was in a terrible state, So, I found a local dog groomer, who spent a lot of her time and my money on him, doing a great job.

When I collected him, she proudly showed me the before and after shots she had taken on her phone, she was a great groomer but a terrible photographer - so yes, a good idea but the photos need to be right. Phil is right about the limitations of natural light, but unless you need to photograph every dog, it may be the best solution for you, and certainly the easiest.

BTW, the only downside of getting my Border Collie sorted out is that he came back smelling like a Marseille brothel, and it took weeks for the smell to go:)

I once adopted a rescued Border Collie who had clearly spent his previous life chained up in a farmyard, he was in a terrible state, So, I found a local dog groomer, who spent a lot of her time and my money on him, doing a great job.

When I collected him, she proudly showed me the before and after shots she had taken on her phone, she was a great groomer but a terrible photographer - so yes, a good idea but the photos need to be right. Phil is right about the limitations of natural light, but unless you need to photograph every dog, it may be the best solution for you, and certainly the easiest.

BTW, the only downside of getting my Border Collie sorted out is that he came back smelling like a Marseille brothel, and it took weeks for the smell to go:)

May we enquire as to how you would recognise that smell Gary ??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I believe that Gary, Not many folk would though :)

Les
Oh ye of little faith:)
I think it may have been in one of the earlier Patrick O'Brien books in the Aubrey/Maturing series. Aubrey's brig "Sophie" had been captured by the French, he was taken to a port in the South of France and treated extremely well . . .
Must have been a scratch and sniff book :LOL:
With an author as good as O'Brien. . .

Anyway, my description seems to ring a bell, everyone seems to understand exactly what I meant - why is that??
:exit:

Back