Lighting for Full Length advice please

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am doing my first full length photo shoot, a kids fashion party. I have a white paper backdrop for the kids to stand on. But as I have only ever done portraits before, i am looking for some advice on lighting for full length.

I have three flashes, but only a small softbox. maybe 3ftx3ft, and an umbrella.

What is the best way for me to light full length, Can anyone recommend a softbox or alternative to use?
Also if i was to use a gel to change the colour of the background, i would normally hide the flash behind the subject or out of frame. Is the same thing possible for these shots? and if so how do you set those up?

thanks all

Define ‘kids’?
A 3 foot softbox is big enough for 5 yr olds but v small for 12 yr olds.

3 lights can be done but I’d want a bigger modifier for the subject, you’ll really want 2 lights for the background

A single light on the bg could be done but you’d want a boom to keep the light out of shot. But simple cross lighting the bg would work and maybe experiment w some gels to make it interesting

For traditional ‘white bg’ and full length would take at least 3 bg lights, so you need to get creative.

thanks for the reply, kids are going to be 12-14. so i will need the bigger light sources

is there any reccomedations on size or what i should be looking at?

would one of these be any good?

I have three flashes, but only a small softbox. maybe 3ftx3ft, and an umbrella.
Are we talking speedlights, or strobes?

I think I would be looking to simplify and use a small room/area as (essentially) a light box. It wouldn't be terribly refined or dramatic lighting, but would get the job done well enough for most things.

Are we talking speedlights, or strobes?

I think I would be looking to simplify and use a small room/area as (essentially) a light box. It wouldn't be terribly refined or dramatic lighting, but would get the job done well enough for most things.
I have two Godox V1s. Then a regular speed light.

The hall for the party is pretty big. As I was thinking of using the ceiling or walls for flash bounce. But not sure if that will be possible.

Then I think your only real option is to go for more of the high fashion/dramatic hard light look and just skip the modifiers. With the lights far enough away, and the subjects closer to the BG, the BG won't need illuminated separately.

At least they are young and don't need the help of soft light to look good.

So no soft boxes? Just the full flash on the kids? Flash either side? Or two ok one side?

Do you have any examples of what this would look like?

Off camera to the side. The main thing that gives "bad" results is overpowering light from on-camera... but even that has some following (i.e. images of famous by paparazzi).

It can look very similar to a lot of other lighting styles; a beauty dish with honeycomb, a smaller softbox with egg crate, a fresnel light, etc... or just a small softbox placed too far away; which MANY do unknowingly. But exactly how it looks really depends on the placement and ratios (of the lights to each other, and to the available light).

THIS shows some results with a fresnel light, which is what a traditional speedlight essentially is.

If there is an adjacent wall which is not strongly colored, BOUNCE your flash against the wall, turning the wall into a very big reflector of soft light...in the photo the light coming from that direction would be similar to a large open window allowing the natural ambient light from outside to come in.

Last edited:
If there is an adjacent wall which is not strongly colored, BOUNCE your flash against the wall, turning the wall into a very big reflector of soft light...in the photo the light coming from that direction would be similar to a large open window allowing the natural ambient light from outside to come in.
Thank you. I was watching a video where a guy does this is his studio. Bare flash against the garage door or wall. I think the room has white walls so I will set up next to one to be able to use it. Thanks for the advice

Back