Lighting Kit For Portraits

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am after a lighting kit for portrait photography including full length shots against white and black backgrounds.

I am new to this and been searching EBay and google but thought id seek proper advice I have about 300 - 400 pound mark maybe a little higher and need something portable.

I am using a canon 350D camera but will be upgrading this to probably 450D Shortly.

I was looking at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-180W-PORT...ash=item2a0091ce03&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Not sure if this is anygood.

Hi yeah saw that after I posted LOL sorry people. Yes too many to choose from thing is I dont want to spend £300 and it been no good when I get it.

I also need to get a plain white background when shooting so any help and a lighting kit suggestion would be much apreciated. Also my camera doesnt have a sync function somebody said I need to get a hot show attachment?

Sorry but I am new to this.

Hi Mark

I want something that I dont need to upgrade or can add to it if you know what I mean. As we want to be doing these pictures for singers etc so needs to be fairly good kit. But portable and easy to fit up etc.

Hard to specify something that's within the budget you want but that you don't think will need upgrading. I think the EXD200's would be a good compromise between good spec and price, but suspect you're the only one that can decide that.

If you can push your budget a bit more then why not take a look at the Elinchrom D-Lite2 kit? Just over £400, but I've seen it used and it performed well and was easy to control.

Don't forget the accessories you may want in future, such as wireless triggers or a light meter.

Re yuor second comment about upgrading to a 450D - I'd think more about investing in better glass than changing the body.

If you can push your budget a bit more then why not take a look at the Elinchrom D-Lite2 kit? Just over £400
They're a great bit of kit.Very intuitive. A near new set recently when on here for just over £300.

Making good buying decisions is never easy, and the more choice there is the harder it gets...

I hope that this article will help you to decide on the things that are important.

Whatever you decide to buy, just accept that you WILL want to upgrade at some point in the future. Upgrading, in terms of studio lighting, means buying light shaping tools that help you to control and shape the light, as well as adding extra flash heads. Unlike computers, flash sytems really are upgradable - as long as you get one that has one of the popular accessory fittings, i.e. Bowens or Elinchrom fit. Some don't, so can't be expanded. Bowens fit lights have a much wider range of useful accessories available than Elinchrom fit and are MUCH cheaper when it comes to accessories.

Take a look at the Lencarta ElitePro or the cheaper Lencarta SmartFlash. They both tick all of your boxes

Hi Garry

How do you connect them to the Canon350D there is no sync terminal.
You don't need a synch terminal, just plug the radio transmitter (included) into the camera hotshoe

Back