Lighting Plates Guidence

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

My Wife's Uncle passed away last year, we had to clear out is rented home very quickly. With things being rushed lots of items are bagged and at ours. We have started to go through some of his things. Ray was quite a character and a bit of a hoarder too.

Anyways he had lots of souvenir plates form various holidays. I thought it would be a good idea to take some photos of them before taking them to a charity shop. Course I just wanted to take some photos really.

I wanted to use my speedlights and ad200 with softboxes.

My thought process was to flat lay them as I had no way to hang them on a wall. So thinking to avoid glare I would place softbox either side and send the light glancing across them.

There are various coloured plates some white/cream. The one attached has a gold rim which proved a bit of a problem ( harsh highlight clipping ) so I placed 2 diffuser discs in front of the lights which helped but the rim is not same brightness all around. What as become apparent is that some highlight is need as the plates would look flat.

Any help would be well received. Please say if there is a better way to do this and I have gone about it the wrong way from the start.

I have not edited these.

Thanks

Gaz

plates (2).jpgplates (1).jpgIMG_20190916_180300711.jpg

Last edited:
That isn't a bad way of doing it but a better method is to have the softbox above and behind the plate, so that it lights the rim and sends the light at an acute angle across the plate. It needs to be extremely close to the plate and if you get the angle right there won't be any unwanted reflections.

Using two softboxes would greatly risk creating unwanted reflections, without any benefits.

Please see https://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-blog/controlling-specular-reflections/#.VjzW6ysl-hE

Evening Garry.

Thanks for the link I will have a read.

I am wanting to photograph them from above will this still be possible lighting it the way you suggest ?

Gaz

Evening Garry.

Thanks for the link I will have a read.

I am wanting to photograph them from above will this still be possible lighting it the way you suggest ?

Gaz
Yes

Thanks

Am struggling to visualise and position the light. This might beat me !

Back