Lighting Recommendations

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I'm on the look out for some location lighting. Can anyone recommend any?

I'm tempted with 2 x Pixapro ad200's but want to be 100% before I purchase. Ideally I'd love profoto b2 kit but too expensive for my liking

I have mains powered lights but need some for car shoots/location shoots etc.

Not after speedlights.

Profoto B2's will come down in price a lot thanks to the B10 but the closest Godox model to them is actually the AD360. AD200, AD400 Pro and AD600 (B, BM or Pro) are all viable options depending on your needs.

So what are your actual needs?

Thank You.

My needs are for static car shoots (a bit like magazine shoots) and infant photography - ideally 2 flashes/softboxs etc.

What are you wanting from the Godox to be 100% sure?

They're the best game in town for portable flash kit.

Certainly Profoto come with the 'brand' name and great support network, but you can buy the Godox from a decent reseller and get decent customer service and a warranty. You don't have to go with a cheap reseller.

Thank You.

My needs are for static car shoots (a bit like magazine shoots) and infant photography - ideally 2 flashes/softboxs etc.

I was thinking more in terms of the exact differences, were you looking for the smallest lightest combination? That'd probably be the AD200 then.

You mentioned you wanted a Profoto B2 but then the closest Godox option is the AD360. They're quite old now so can be had cheaply especially second hand but most people prefer a single unit rather than a pack and head.

If you've got no real preferences then I would lean towards getting a pair of AD200's with an AD-B2, you could consider a AD600BM instead of one of the AD200's but it is a lot bigger and heavier.

The world's your oyster with softboxes and reflectors, kinda hard to go wrong these days given the range and prices available.

I dld look at this, as ideally I want something compact and easy to carry/store

Screenshot_20181015-222003_Samsung Internet.jpg

You have the AD200's, Phil?

Can you give me a little overall review on them please?
I have one of them.

On 1/4 power or less it’ll keep up with a regular portrait shoot, as you know, a speedlight won’t do that. I don’t know what more to add, it simply does what I expected it to.

For background, historically I had a mix of Canon and Yongnuo speedlights used with Pocketwizard flex triggers. Then added a Safari2 (600Ws Godox triggered) and then an AD360.
All worked well (except the PW’s) so I swapped to Yongnuo triggers. I’m currently still moving my speedlights over to Godox, the AD360 has been replaced by the AD200, the kit is well built and reliable, better than the cheaper Chinese brands, I also have a couple of Godox mains studio lights, and one day I hope to have some of the super fast heads and maybe an AD600 instead of the Safari.

Easy to use, works, I like the look of that portable kit, the only ‘issue’ being that once you’re carrying a rucksack full of flash, where do you carry your camera.

I’m still looking for the optimum studio transport kit, I used to use a hockey bag, I may get another.

That looks like a great starter set @Mark Anthony, I’ve been recommending those softboxes for years and I love my AD200

I've not used them but from a glance it looks like they're collapsible type (as in the ones with a metal frame you can twist like a reflector), if so are the ones Essential selling especially good or do you just like that type in particular?

I dld look at this, as ideally I want something compact and easy to carry/store

The savings aren't huge on that bundle, something like £50 but when you consider the backpack is listed at £100 it might be cheaper to buy only the bits you want. If you have nothing at the moment then that's a different matter, having one small neat case that can take a full kit is incredibly convenient but I would have thought you'd get more out of differently sized softboxes than a matching pair (you could probably ask Essential for a different one, companies like this often work hard for sales).

Whichever way you go I'd recommend the Xpro upgrade over the older radio trigger, it's a lot nicer to use.

Don't forget we're a little over a month away from Black Friday, every retailer will be offering discounts (especially on kits) so if you're not going to need it immediately your money will go further then.

Last edited:
The savings aren't huge on that bundle, something like £50 but when you consider the backpack is listed at £100 it might be cheaper to buy only the bits you want. If you have nothing at the moment then that's a different matter, having one small neat case that can take a full kit is incredibly convenient but I would have thought you'd get more out of differently sized softboxes than a matching pair (you could probably ask Essential for a different one, companies like this often work hard for sales).

Don't forget we're a little over a month away from Black Friday, every retailer will be offering discounts (especially on kits) so if you're not going to need it immediately your money will go further then.

That's not a bad shout with black friday. I do have some continuous lighting for indoor work, it just means I'll hold off a month

Back