Lighting setup for portrait?

Name
Abi
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, im new here and pretty new to photography. Have always loved taking photographs so have recently purchased a Nikon D90 and am hoping to get into portrait photography.

I am in the process of trying to get together a small portable studio and have so far decided on a white vinyl backdrop and maybe black, plus a support stand.

However, i am stuck on what sort of lighting setup i need and where to buy from in terms of price quality. Really hoping you guys could give me some guidance and help me understand which lights are used for what and difference between softboxes and umberellas.

I was thinking about buying a Nikon Speedlight, will this be a good investment or not? Sorry for all the questions but i did warn you i am new to this. Any help will be really appreciated.

P.S If there are any portrait photographers here from near Solihull West Mids that would be interested in meeting for a chat then let me know.

Thanks to everyone in advance :)

There's a lot to learn but plenty of info available...
Take a look at the info in the various tutorials in the Lencarta learning centre, then come back with any specific questions - there are plenty of people here who will do their best to help.

I would say from personal experience start off with a flash. Then take it off camera using a cord or some cheap triggers. Then when you have mastered that but an umbrella or a softbox (or both!). Background will be really useful but you need to learn how to handle the light first. Once you have mastered one add a second etc

I have just taken my flash off camera (I used a cord and ETTL metering first) and it is tough but there are plenty of learning resources. www.strobist.com Lighting101 section is very good - but you really must read it all!

Hi Abi

I'm pretty new to photography too and am also trying to piece together a studio.

Do you know of any good deals for the backdrops as they are pretty expensive on some of the websites I've looked at?

I used to live in Dudley, but in Milton Keynes now, shame we could've met for a chat to discuss studio pieces!!

I was thinking about buying a Nikon Speedlight, will this be a good investment or not? Sorry for all the questions but i did warn you i am new to this. Any help will be really appreciated.

I've just ordered a 3 head studio flash set up from ebay for less than the price of an sb600!!!! Watch this thread to see if the set up is actually any good!

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=235127

I've been in your exact situation not too long ago (only a few ago, to be exact); and have come to the conclusion that going with Speedlights is the best way forward.

Once I've mastered that, only then I'd be happy to move on to studio strobes (if at all, now :p). Depending how good you are already, you can get up to speed with Nikon CLS in a matter of a few days; then it's just a matter of trying out what sort of light effects you like.

As has been said, you will need to read a lot; practice; watch a lot of YouTube clips; practice some more; ask questions here and elsewhere; practice even more .. and so on.

Speedlights are just so ideal, even if a lot more expensive than some dedicated studio lights.

One pointer I'd suggest, if you go with the Speedlight route, use it on Manual (not anything automatic). It will take you longer to learn, but at least you will understand what's going on, how to adjust the flash for your liking, and be in total control.

Its a hard question to answer....

Two possible replies - Battery Flash or Studio Flash ????

Depends on how portable you want to be and how much money you want to spend...

Have a look at a few other websites on lighting...
A free one is http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com

And a look at FITP Flash in the pans thread in the advertisers section if you fancy going battery flash route...

or check out lencarta site that garry mentioned above for studio flash...

Hope this helps

(y)

not sounding like a dick is also an art and a skill.

how can you overlight a portrait with something that doesn't have enough power? slight contradiction there.

'flood and spill everywhere...' with a low powered unit only good for localised bangs of light??...hmmmmm.....

now take your soapbox and turn it into something useful, like a light tent. but don't forget the build pics.

not sounding like a dick is also an art and a skill.

how can you overlight a portrait with something that doesn't have enough power? slight contradiction there.

'flood and spill everywhere...' with a low powered unit only good for localised bangs of light??...hmmmmm.....

now take your soapbox and turn it into something useful, like a light tent. but don't forget the build pics.

:clap:
This guy seemed to manage OUTSIDE with one flash gun http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=234317
so i guess, when you know what you're doing, anything is possible.

...have so far decided on a white vinyl backdrop and maybe black

I bought white, grey and black vinyl.

The white is great, hardwearing and good results.

The grey is OK, but wrinkles can be a problem... grey paper is flatter and easier to use (although more expensive in the long run).

The black is pretty useless, not black enough and too reflective. I took down the vinyl and bought proper velvet instead... much better.

I bought white, grey and black vinyl.

The white is great, hardwearing and good results.

The grey is OK, but wrinkles can be a problem... grey paper is flatter and easier to use (although more expensive in the long run).

The black is pretty useless, not black enough and too reflective. I took down the vinyl and bought proper velvet instead... much better.

Hey Flashman, can you remember what you paid for the velvet? & how big is it? please.

Hey Flashman, can you remember what you paid for the velvet? & how big is it? please.

I got it on ebay from a seller called Fabricaz.

I bought two 6m lengths at 59" wide and got a local seamstress to sew them together so it was twice the width. Careful though, first time she sewed them together so the nap ran in opposite directions... she had to unpick it all and sew them back again the right way round!

I got it on ebay from a seller called Fabricaz.

I bought two 6m lengths at 59" wide and got a local seamstress to sew them together so it was twice the width. Careful though, first time she sewed them together so the nap ran in opposite directions... she had to unpick it all and sew them back again the right way round!

(y) Thanks.

Speedlights were manufactured to use on top of a camera. If you want to put them on a light stand and use an umbrella, you must purchase an adapter to make them fit the stand, then you must be very careful with them because the little thin plastic base was made to fit a hot shoe and is quite fragile if bumped or handled a little roughly.

Back