Lighting that mimics the sun light

Name
jovanovic
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here

I am shooting miniature dioramas and I am looking for a lighting that will best imitate the noon's sun light with its hard shadows

What I need is strong small source of light that is not diffuse

Could you recomment me several lights that I could use to mimic a miniature sun, up to 100€ ?

Thank you very much for your help

The obvious thing would be a single flash just slightly off directly overhead, possibly with mild diffusion from a small diffuser to mimic the atmosphere.

A speedlight with a snoot is all you’d need for a diorama.

However I’d guess once you’ve got a point source of light you’ll also want to add a larger diffused source to add some light back into the shadows, it’s unusual for shadows to be completely without detail.

Slightly odd suggestion but what about an LED torch? Cheap and some are really bright. Just a thought.

Slightly odd suggestion but what about an LED torch? Cheap and some are really bright. Just a thought.
TBF the OP doesn’t have to worry about subject movement.

Though with a torch, he’d have to learn to control the ambient.

Un-diffused speed light. Alternatively, a video cob light or a redhead. Only problem you "might" have with something like a torch would be that they don't always put out a very even light source - you sometimes get weird shapes from the bulbs, reflectors or whatever inside them. Try shining one against a blank wall and you would see immediately if that was an issue. The other issue with them is of course the lack of light they put out and possibly the colour.

I use a 120 degree spill kill reflector on a studio strobe for similar results to direct sun. The (uncontrolled) bounced light indoors lifts the shadows just enough.

Un-diffused speed light. Alternatively, a video cob light or a redhead. Only problem you "might" have with something like a torch would be that they don't always put out a very even light source - you sometimes get weird shapes from the bulbs, reflectors or whatever inside them. Try shining one against a blank wall and you would see immediately if that was an issue. The other issue with them is of course the lack of light they put out and possibly the colour.

Speedlights can have a really obvious uneven light pattern, especially at close range. A silver lined snoot - like a Pringles tube - can calm it down. The downside is that the area illuminated is rather small but that might be ok for a a miniature diorama.

Back