Lightpainted binoculars...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Still really enjoying this technique:

Binoculars by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

This was shot for a competition in the magazine, hence the amount of black around the binoculars so the designer can overlay text :)

Click through to the flickr page for the EXIF info and to see how the shot was created....

C+C always welcome :)

Last edited:
Very nice painting there Pat, you've well and truly got hooked on this still life light painting malarkey (y) it's a great style and this is a brilliant example (y)

I've liked your page twice on facebook (y) once personally and once with my page :D

Matt

Yep, it's such a useful technique for when setting up flash would mean flags, gobs and reflectors all over the place. It's also very quick I find - much quicker than setting up lights and doing metering.

Cheers for the likes (y)

Saw this on flickr this morning, nice job, lightpainting is something I want to try out, results like this motivate me to do so.

Good to see you still playing with this Pat.

If I'm honest, I don't think I like this one quite as much as the fishing reel - but that might be as you said, because of the composition and amount of black around it. It's hard to comment on that when we're not seeing it in the full context and I'm sure that once the text is in place in the magazine it'll have a totally different feel.
Having said that, there seems to be an almost 3D quality to this one that the light painting's really brought out.

Good to see you still playing with this Pat.

If I'm honest, I don't think I like this one quite as much as the fishing reel - but that might be as you said, because of the composition and amount of black around it. It's hard to comment on that when we're not seeing it in the full context and I'm sure that once the text is in place in the magazine it'll have a totally different feel.
Having said that, there seems to be an almost 3D quality to this one that the light painting's really brought out.

That's a fair point Sarah. I seem to live my life through inDesign these days, always looking at shots with the potential to put text and titles in :LOL:

I'll post up the finished spread once it's out to give a clearer idea of how it's been used and, if it's been cropped or butchered, how in some circumstances how the image is used is out of my control.

I agree about the 3D look - it depends on what device i look at it on (and how big it displays) but on some screen it looks better to my eyes than on others.

fantastic :) absolutely love it

Thanks, most appreciated. (y)

Saw this on flickr this morning, nice job, lightpainting is something I want to try out, results like this motivate me to do so.

Thanks, just starting to get my head around long exposures and seeing the light as I paint it i a darkened room. It's 'anti' photography compared to the stuff i usually shoot. For the moment i'm happy doing these smaller products with my phone but I need to find some different light sources to try at this scale and for larger items.

Really want to have a go at my Volvo but A) not found time, and B) feel a bit apprehensive about doing it and looking like a wierdo.... :)

Last edited:
Just as a bit more background on the shoot, I was asked to take some close-ups of different parts of the binoculars if the designer wanted to add in some additional panels to spruce up the design.

Here's one of the close-ups - same exposure as a the main shot (i think) but with a slight change to the WB to make it cooler...

DSC8130.jpg

I'll post up the finished spread once it's out to give a clearer idea of how it's been used and, if it's been cropped or butchered, how in some circumstances how the image is used is out of my control.

I'd really be interested in seeing that.

That close-up shot is stunning BTW. I think I prefer the colder WB and the shadow drop off looks amazing.

Back