Lightpainting (part 2)

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
So I posted a thread the other day about lightpainting with a mobile phone. Due to not having my usual calibrated screen and not thinking about light spill, I had background issues that I never realised were there when I processed the shot.

Anyway, I've done a new shot using black velvet as the background so just wondering if it's an improvement. It's a different subject matter I know, but i was feeling creative....

Lightpainting lens test No.1 by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

This is two exposures; one for the front rim and interior of the lens, the other on the outer barrel to give a softbox look. Both exposures were the same - 25thsec, ISO 100, f/8. Also, as indicated by Matt MWVCT, I've done a black mask in PS to blacken the dead space around the lens.

All feedback, info and general C&C is most welcome :)

Last edited:
Very nice Pat (y) the only issue that I can see is that if you look to the front bottom of the lens there is a little bit of light spill, where light has caught the velvet I think that this would look better totally black, but a tiny little bit of cloning would fix it very quickly (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Matt, is it still there now? Have refreshed the image after I spotted some spill when viewing on my phone. Ah, the joys of not having your computer!!!:)

Anyway, think that's me done on TP for a while, fed up with some of the folk on here (not anyone in these two threads BTW). Thanks for the advice here and on my other thread. Going to mull over my options on the riverbank.....

Last edited:
Matt, is it still there now? Have refreshed the image after I spotted some spill when viewing on my phone. Ah, the joys of not having your computer!!!:)

Anyway, think that's me done on TP for a while, fed up with some of the folk on here ( not anyone in this thread BTW). Thanks for the advice here and on my other thread. Going to mull over my options on the riverbank.....

Perfect now (y) and I know what you mean, there are a few arse's but hopefully the decent members out weigh the tit's (y)

I meant to ask, what ever happened with the beer can project, I lost track of that :D

Matt

Ha, the beer can. It's still in the cupboard, undrunk. It's my next lightpainting subject... Just have to find a good concept.

Options mulled over - sod 'em!!

Whoop, whoop! MBP is going in for insurance valuation over the next few days but in the mean time, I have a G5 with a big old blue-eye Lacie Monitor.... old skool but at last it'll be calibrated!!!! :)

Last edited:
Options mulled over - sod 'em!!

Whoop, whoop! MBP is going in for insurance valuation over the next few days but in the mean time, I have a G5 with a big old blue-eye Lacie Monitor.... old skool but at last it'll be calibrated!!!! :)

That's the option that I always take :D I've had had a couple of people that have just left me :thinking: calibrated is always good (y)

What happened to you anyway? you put yourself down for the last W&WM TP Meet :LOL: did you forget :LOL: you shall have to try and get to one another time (y)

Matt

Totally forgot mate. Work has left me bushed (1000 mile, 55-hour weeks) and the missus wanted to go see her mum down in Wales so everything was put on hold.

Give me a big nudge next time there's a meet and I'll see if I can wangle it (y)

Just doing some more lightpainting, fishing reels. Hopefully gonna get some exciting results that I can use in the mags :)

Totally forgot mate. Work has left me bushed (1000 mile, 55-hour weeks) and the missus wanted to go see her mum down in Wales so everything was put on hold.

Give me a big nudge next time there's a meet and I'll see if I can wangle it (y)

Just doing some more lightpainting, fishing reels. Hopefully gonna get some exciting results that I can use in the mags :)

Looking forward to seeing that, as I think I've said in the past I'm massively into my fishing it's in the blood, quite literally

I'll let you know, I've had computer issues recently normally I send out group PM's about upcoming meets and will have to start again, I'll add you to the list of recipients' (y) If you check my signature there's a link to a thread for the December meet (y)

No worries about missing the meet, I've always said about the meet's I've organised if people cannot make it they shouldn't feel bad about it, we all have lives away from TP (y)

Matt

Last edited:
Love it Pat.
Light painting put to its very best use to highlight the bits that you want to see. There's a tiny bit of shadow on the LHS of the lens that could maybe do with a touch more light, but it's a stunning result.

Looking forward to seeing how you put it to good use for your commercial work (y)

Thanks Sarah lee - have posted something on my blog about some other attempt with fishing-related product :)

So here's one of the fishing reels I said I was going to do:

reel_2_-_black.jpg

It's a quick shot just to give me an idea of what i was up against, but the matt finish really takes the light well. Spill on the base cloth may mean doing some layer work with different exposures to eliminate it but without losing all of the handle. I'm really loving how this technique just helps give really soft light in situations where a softbox would have to be combined with a load of other flash elements to get the same kind of effect. :)

I'm loving that Pat, and I think that the little bit of spill really support the product (y) I have 2 or 3 of those myself plus a few bait runners (y)

It's a great way to get a wonderfully lit product (y)

Matt

Cheers fella.

It was one of the first ones that came out of my box - covered in muck, groundbait and all sorts of crud. favourite reel of all time - I have several of these plus a load of Super Xs. They don't make them like they used to and all that :LOL:

That reel will be getting some use tomorrow at Stratford on the river, can't wait :)

I've already convinced our fly fishing editor that we can use tis technique to good effect with fly close-ups. Did some the other day of white flies. Didn't seem to burn the highlights out at all and got some nice fill into shadow areas. He's happy.

And a mate who works designs a gun magazine is going to try it tomorrow with some replica MP-5s that he just can't get right with two softboxes.

Gott keep experimenting though to see how are I can take this. I tried doing white background the other day but it's hard, in one exposure, to avoid creating a gradient. That is going to be a pig to fathom but it'll be worth it.... can't wait to try it on coloured backgrounds :)

Last edited:
Cheers fella.

It was one of the first ones that came out of my box - covered in muck, groundbait and all sorts of crud. favourite reel of all time - I have several of these plus a load of Super Xs. They don't make them like they used to and all that :LOL:

That reel will be getting some use tomorrow at Stratford on the river, can't wait :)

I've already convinced our fly fishing editor that we can use tis technique to good effect with fly close-ups. Did some the other day of white flies. Didn't seem to burn the highlights out at all and got some nice fill into shadow areas. He's happy.

And a mate who works designs a gun magazine is going to try it tomorrow with some replica MP-5s that he just can't get right with two softboxes.

Gott keep experimenting though to see how are I can take this. I tried doing white background the other day but it's hard, in one exposure, to avoid creating a gradient. That is going to be a pig to fathom but it'll be worth it.... can't wait to try it on coloured backgrounds :)

:naughty: MP-5's I really want to play with them, I can think of some great photo's :D :rules: I did some fly's with flash as part of my 365 really early in the year

HERE

I've only light painted on white once and on that instance I really was going for very high key that can be seen HERE It's not perfect but it's very effective (y)

I look forward to seeing your effort's on white

Matt

(y) That definitely works with the reel.
Personally I really wouldn't bother faffing around with trying to eliminate the light spill - IMO it actually adds something to the shot. I think Matt put it nicely when he said it "supports the product".

Thanks Sarah lee - have posted something on my blog about some other attempt with fishing-related product :)

This is the first time I've had chance to pop in here in a couple of days. I'm going to have a look at your blog now before I get myself distracted with something else !!!

Can I ask. Does this light painting technique need to be done in a very dark room and how do you know how much light to paint with? is it all trial and error to start with?

sc0ttie said:
Can I ask. Does this light painting technique need to be done in a very dark room and how do you know how much light to paint with? is it all trial and error to start with?

Trial and error, although after a few attempts you kind of get used to doing it.

Yep, totally dark room. Tripod the camera, focus manually, use mirror lockup then turn the lights off and away you go. Tidy up though so you're not tripping over stuff :)

Last edited:
Back