Lightroom 2

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
All,

Im quite surprised at the 'excitement' surrounding lightroom 2. having used lightroom for a while I think its a thoroughly user friendly package and does pretty much everything that is needed bar layers and dodge / burn, selective enhancements. The way the folders, importing and adjustments are managed is fantastic.

So I was keen to test out lightroom 2 and downloaded the free version.

Now, I mainly do adjustments in lightroom then convert to a tiff in PSE6 for any dodging and burning etc and was keen to see the localised adjustments tool in lightroom 2 in action.

I don't know about anyone else but I found the 'enhancement' to be quite crude. Not only was the dodge/burn effect (provided I was doing it right) rather heavy handed, it also produced a hell of a lot of noise.

The grad filter effect was also rather crude with limited colours. I wanted a dark effect but could only find bright almost fluro colours blues, reds etc.

Personally, until I find a reason otherwise I think ill stick to flicking between elements 6 and lightroom.

Anyone else found this ?

I hear adobe are still ironing out that particular process and some severe performance issues connected to it...

All,

Im quite surprised at the 'excitement' surrounding lightroom 2. having used lightroom for a while I think its a thoroughly user friendly package and does pretty much everything that is needed bar layers and dodge / burn, selective enhancements. The way the folders, importing and adjustments are managed is fantastic.

So I was keen to test out lightroom 2 and downloaded the free version.

Now, I mainly do adjustments in lightroom then convert to a tiff in PSE6 for any dodging and burning etc and was keen to see the localised adjustments tool in lightroom 2 in action.

I don't know about anyone else but I found the 'enhancement' to be quite crude. Not only was the dodge/burn effect (provided I was doing it right) rather heavy handed, it also produced a hell of a lot of noise.

The grad filter effect was also rather crude with limited colours. I wanted a dark effect but could only find bright almost fluro colours blues, reds etc.

Personally, until I find a reason otherwise I think ill stick to flicking between elements 6 and lightroom.

Anyone else found this ?

I'm afraid I don't agree, I think the brush tool is fantastic. If you think it is heavy handed increase the feather or decrease the flow/density. I haven't noticed noise, in fact because I am working directly on the DNG rather than a TIFF I find it much better than photoshop in this regard.

The grad filter is also very powerful, clcik on the button to the right of "effect" for the advanced menu. You have not got limited colours but a complete palate. Try clicking on the colour box and then clicking anywhere on the palate and keeping it clicked down while you move into your photo. You can choose any colour on your photo and then change it's saturation with the slider under the palate.

If you want a "dark effect" leave the colour alone and just adjust the exposure down.

I have been watching some video podcasts by the "digital photography connection" called "Lightroom for digital photographers" that have really helped.

:)

ahh!!!

As per norm...more user error then!!

Ill have a look tonight. I did wonder whther it was me rather than the software......i should RTFM

G

If you have speed issues try down loading the 2.1 release candidate.
Also I suspect you are using the grad and brush tool in the "Basic" mode. There is a little "switch on the right hand side of the panel at the same level as Exposure. Slide it to the right and it revels the advanced tool box.

Don't worry if the effects you use seem "heavy handed" initial, this is a non destructive system, and you can also rein them back if you need to. Don't forget you can use multiple forms of the same tool. in different parts of the same image.

Try this site for some teaching videos

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom2/

Also if you don't mind spending around £25 then the video tutorial by Michael Reichman and Jeff Schewe is a great investment

ahh!!!

As per norm...more user error then!!

Ill have a look tonight. I did wonder whther it was me rather than the software......i should RTFM

G

Don't expect to start lightroom and be proficient within a couple of hours. It has so many features, some hidden or not well documented, it can take weeks before you really get to see its real power.

For example, one little tip I picked up is the arrow next to the geotag iptc field will normally bring up the co-ordinates in Google Maps if clicked. However, if you Alt-click that arrow the co-ordinates open up in Yahoo Maps instead.

perhaps the best tip I can pass on to anyone considering Lightroom is to explore all the different ways of bringing up functions. Some of the options you get by right clicking a photo are different from the main menu bar or within the module controls, for example.

HTH :)

I updated to Lightroom 2 for performance issues - v2 is a lot faster with better memory handling.

Yeah it has some other new fangled stuff, but I don't use Lightroom for any kind of editing, only for cataloging.

Back