Lightroom 4 ebook by Martin Evening for 1p.

Name
Umm......................
Edit My Images
Yes
Lightroom 4 ebook by Martin Evening is available Here for 1p on Google Play.

Available as an ebook, also for Android or Ipad/Iphone, though I don't know how long it will be available.

I hope someone finds it useful.

Trying to buy it but keep being told there is a technical error.

Wonder who wins, apart from the consumer when they have promotions like this?

Wonder who wins, apart from the consumer when they have promotions like this?

I can't remember for sure* but I think the fees come of the totals rather than per sale. So assuming he sells a boat load, it would be no different to selling far fewer at a higher price.

*used to sell an android app bit pulled it when I got an iPhone instead.

Hi,

Many thanks for the heads up. The price was right, so I also bought it.

I have to say, they don't make digital publishing a nice experience for the end user.

I don't have an eReader or iPad, so I have to jump through hoops to be able to read the book offline:

- Click 'Download PDF' - but I don't get a PDF file, I get a pdf.acsm file which I can't open.
- Google search - need 'Adobe Digital Editions' software.
- Search Adobe.com - download and install software via Flash (makes me uneasy due to Flash's constant security problems).
- Input Adobe ID (luckily I already had one after purchasing Lightroom) but alas I can't paste in my password, so I'm forced to laboriously type out a long, complicated, randomly generated, secure password
- Load the pdf.acsm file, start the download……error!
- Go back to Google, download epub.acsm file, load the file, download the book - finally!
- Use the 'Adobe Digital Editions' software to read the book, where I get a brief spinning beachball every time I go to another page - grrr!

The book may be awesome, but I really don't have the desire to actually read it.

If the book wasn't such a brilliant price, I'd be seriously pee'd off.

I won't be buying any normally priced digital books in the future, especially as the regular price is only a quid or two less than the printed version that's destroyed a forest for the paper and destroyed the ozone layer being transported around the world to my doorstep.

I seriously hope that it's a far better experience if you use an eReader or iPad.

Oops - sorry about all that. I wasn't planning on a rant, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Thanks again for the heads up, maybe one day I'll be bored enough to suffer the hassle to read it.

Cheers,
Tony

I have to say I might lose the DRM so I can convert for my kindle later.

Purely on accident of course.

Kindle is much easier to use (click buy....done). Not sure if you can download the raw books however but so far a non issue as there's a reader for all platforms going.

Not sure how it will work on the ipad until I get home, but generally I open the pdf on the ipad, choose the option to "Open in iBooks", where it promptly stores itself for reading in future. This also works if I open a pdf attached to an email on the ipad.

I have a stack of useful pdf's in iBooks, as well as a stack of books, and it really is a good and simple way of storing, finding, and reading them.

Not sure how it will work on the ipad until I get home, but generally I open the pdf on the ipad, choose the option to "Open in iBooks", where it promptly stores itself for reading in future. This also works if I open a pdf attached to an email on the ipad.

I have a stack of useful pdf's in iBooks, as well as a stack of books, and it really is a good and simple way of storing, finding, and reading them.

Use google play books from the app store? :D

Sorry to be thick, but is there any way to convert the downloaded file so I can put it on to my Kindle?

google play state the adobe format is not supported by kindle, thats the trouble with DRM, unlike a book that anyone can read, it forces itself to only be read by you.

Sorry to be thick, but is there any way to convert the downloaded file so I can put it on to my Kindle?

There is, 10 mins of googling should do it. I have it on mine now. I won't post the how as it's not exactly legal, but google something like ascm to kindle.

Last edited:
bought it, but where do you get the download pdf option from?

bought it, but where do you get the download pdf option from?

click my books
click the book
Click the "How to read" tab
At the bottom you can download an epub or a pdf*

*ish. It's an ASCM file which you need to open using Adobe Digital Editions to get the pdf/epub. Only some devices will support this file, for others (like the kindle) you will need to remove the DRM and convert to another format. Which is probably not legal in the UK and would break the DMCA in the USA.

Also just noticed "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Classroom in a Book" is a penny.

Looking more like a screw up as the LR3 version of that book is £24!

(so of course I bought it.....)

edit: looks like a more light weight less in depth book, but at a penny I can't not.

Last edited:
It seems a bit unfair to DRM protect it as it is a purchase, rather than a library loan, which is what I thought DRM was for. (I might well be wrong though!)
I have managed to put it onto my Kindle, but it was a pain in the A**, and I'm not sure I would bother trying to convert DRM books, easier to just read it on the PC using the Adobe Digital Editions.

well, im trying to read this book now im my iPad. Im sure the book is great but the google reader thing is awful! it seems to be trying to download a page each time you turn to the next one. Fine with a nice speedy connection but im getting blank pages, hae to wait quite a time for some pages to load. Awful! There must be a way to get the whole book down on my pc as a pdf and just read it from that in iBooks. Google Play Books - terrible.

For Ipad I am using Bluefire Reader, it can display all Adobe Digital Editions as is licensed for Adobe DRM books. Sadly it has the same "pause" before loading a page.

Duncan.F said:
Gone up a wee bit now......!?

No as far as I can see its still 1p. I have got this and part way through it on my iPhone. I agree that the google reading app is not great.

I started the buying process, reading the various explanations on the way. Apparently I already have a Google Play account because of my 'disposable', false name Gmail email address. Yes, they do expect you to pay one penny and they do accept American Express!

The next hurdle is the .acsm DRM. I went to download Adobe Digital Editions, which I gather I need in order to actually be permitted to read the book. All well and good, it downloaded and installed itself on my PC. "Great" I thought, "I'll be reading it in a moment. Wrong. Before Adobe Digital Editions will 'activate', I need to enter an Adobe Account user name and password. Click on 'Get an account', and they want my life history in order to send me loads of spam present me with carefully selected marketing opportunities.

At this point I gave up. There's no such thing as a free (or even a one penny) lunch.

@essexash - in options in Google Books you can select to make the book available offline.

I started the buying process, reading the various explanations on the way. Apparently I already have a Google Play account because of my 'disposable', false name Gmail email address. Yes, they do expect you to pay one penny and they do accept American Express!

The next hurdle is the .acsm DRM. I went to download Adobe Digital Editions, which I gather I need in order to actually be permitted to read the book. All well and good, it downloaded and installed itself on my PC. "Great" I thought, "I'll be reading it in a moment. Wrong. Before Adobe Digital Editions will 'activate', I need to enter an Adobe Account user name and password. Click on 'Get an account', and they want my life history in order to send me loads of spam present me with carefully selected marketing opportunities.

At this point I gave up. There's no such thing as a free (or even a one penny) lunch.

Are the other options to read on your PC or mobile device not suitable for you either then? Or is that what you mean you can't read on PC because you don't have ADE installed. It's not something I have installed and I can read it just fine. Unless I have something else installed that is lettig me view books and the like.

Last edited:
Back