Lightroom 4 has done me in!

I upgraded to the LR4 v3 64bit and it won't open for whatever reason, which is rather tiring but still have the older version available.
And I tried re-installing to no avail.

Last edited:
A small tip that worked for me when LR4 was being a pain. I fitted a 4gig usb stick in and dedicated it to readyboost in windows 7. Instantly quicker.

At first I couldn't see the point of having highlight and whites sliders, but I think I've got it now.

So I'm finding v4 more or less OK. (see other post for the more/less bit.....)

Hi Jeremy
Have read various links/books on these sliders (whites/highlights) and they all seem to differ. Would you care to share your experience please?
Sorry to hijack.
JohnyT

Hi Jeremy
Have read various links/books on these sliders (whites/highlights) and they all seem to differ. Would you care to share your experience please?
Sorry to hijack.
JohnyT

I'm not entirely sure I know my stuff but here goes -

For some images moving the whites and highlights sliders seem to have roughly the same result, eg sunsets and other high key images. For others the whites slider will produce a "brighter" result across a whole range of tones throughout the image , whereas "highlights" will only affect the highlights.

I'd be very pleased if anyone else can expand on this, or express what I am trying to say in more tecnically accurate terms.

Or even disagree!:)

Thanks Jeremy for the reply. I think in my (limited) experience I agree with you, but this seems to differ http://www.blueridgephotographyworkshops.com/2012/04/03/process-versions-lightroom/....unless I'm reading it wrong.
Btw Scott Kelby seems to come to the same conclusion as you (us) lol
JohnyT

Thanks for posting that; unfortunately it seems to muddy the waters somewhat. That's not to say they're wrong, of course. I haven't read Scott Kelby on v4.

I posted some time ago to see if anyone else had come to conclusions on whites/highlights. I remember one reply that the poster was finding the same problems as I was then.....ie what is the difference?

Last edited:
I had problems with version upgrade 4.4, same error message coming up as v4.3 so I talked via phone to someone from the call centre only to find that my serial # is not recognised!! Looks like I may have bought a 'hooky' version from a seller on the auction site.
They are still trading with 100% feedback. I've written to ebay today and wait for their response.
Additionally, I am not alone in experiencing the error message :
http://tinypic.com/r/2qvxpup/6

Last edited:
So folks, I'm getting a refund now (all being well) and am going to purchase a real copy. I see a version on Amazon that's £20 cheaper than Adobe, do you think it's worth a go or will I be better off in the long run getting it direct from Adobe systems? Is the latter likely to be an up to date disc or will I just be better off downloading it direct?
I am drawn to having a physical copy if only because I'm old fashioned like that.
Cheers for any help.

sep9001, that's a bit of a bargain, I'm going into town today anyway so I'll have a look in and see if it's there.
Thanks for the help.

Back