Lightroom 4 has landed

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Didn't see another thread for it so I'll post: Lightroom 4 is released officially!

Was reluctant to process my last batch in the beta, but will upgrade now and use the new version.

Any idea if the price it is now is fixed or a time limited offer?

A shame it is not the price the US pays, it would then only be £75.

Prices have been reduced for Lightroom 4, £103.88 on the Adobe website.

Nice to see them reduce the prices. :)

DPReview have a review of Lightroom 4 available here.

DPReview say there are a few minor changes, at least on the front page of the review. (haven't had time to read it all yet ;)) Maybe that's one of the reasons for the lower price. :shrug:

Last edited:
Perhaps they looked at the success of Windows 7. Prior to the launch of that at a reasonable price I barely knew anyone who had legit copies of windows. Now I don't know anyone who bothers with pirated copies.

From people I know I'm the only person with a legit copy of lightroom, loads of people have copies, none of my friends have legit copies. When you price something properly for the home user they can recover lost revenue from all those pirates.

Then you have CS4/5. I've yet to meet a home user with a legit copy and I know many many people with it.

I think Apple slashing the price of Aperture probably has more to do with it.

The changes are mainly to the develop module, then they've added mapping and photo books too.

My favourite little feature is that flags (picks/rejects) are persistent across collections.

Note the Beta didn't work on Wix XP, and I don't think the full version does either.

I've been playing with the Lightroom 4 beta - my first experience with Lightroom - and I like it, but there's no way I can afford £100 for a computer programme. Back to Elements that came pre-installed on my laptop, I guess.

Prices have been reduced for Lightroom 4, £103.88 on the Adobe website
Nice to see them reduce the prices. :)

I think Apple slashing the price of Aperture probably has more to do with it.

It's called completion, now Adobe don't have it all there own way, they can no longer justify ripping everyone off.

We need a really alternative to Photoshop now to see price drop on that too.

Its £60 for the full version if you are eligible for student discount, or to upgrade if not.

Pixelmator; £21.00. Not got everything PS has, but you'd be surprised how close it is.

Mac only though, as is Aperture of course.

I'm trying to find out if they ave a reduced upgrade price for those of us that have paid education price :)

Tight git :) lol

I didn't think you could upgrade the education version.

The upgrade price is £60, which is a bargain!

acetone said:

To develop something in between GIMP and Photoshop would be such a big under taking, so probably would be expensive. Elements fits the gap price wise but low cost probably comes from reusing a lot of code from Photoshop.

Using Photoshop is like using a 1D/D3, it's a professional tool, you'll get pretty much the same results if you use Elements, much like an X00D/DX000. People don't seem to complain about the cost of pro bodies.

Craikeybaby said:
I didn't think you could upgrade the education version.

The upgrade price is £60, which is a bargain!

Now that's a question, have had a quick look and didnt see anything that stood out. Will try and upgrade when I get in and see what happens

The way Lightroom upgrades work is that they are installed as separate applications, you need to put your qualifying serial number in when you get the upgrade serial number which you pay for. So I'd certainly check with Adobe before buying the upgrade.

Perhaps they looked at the success of Windows 7. Prior to the launch of that at a reasonable price I barely knew anyone who had legit copies of windows. Now I don't know anyone who bothers with pirated copies.

Agree. Its a good idea.

If you know you've got a good product, release free functioning betas that last a fair time. Then people use it and like it. Combine that with a sensible price on release and people will want to continue using it, justify the cost and buy it.

Pre windows 7 i knew very very few people that had legit windows and legit office. Since the windows 7 beta a lot of people that had never bought a legit copy in their lives did so and these days i dont think i know anyone with a dodgy copy.

Also agree with LR/Photoshop. I know i think 2 non-professional users with legit versions.

That said the usual UK £=$ rip off rate is working here meaning we pay nearly twice as much as the US for lightroom.

I think Aperture is only competition for Mac users, though I suppose they couldn't reduce the Mac version of Lightroom to compete Aperture without reducing the Windows version too.

I think for this version there is not that much that is new, so charging what they did before would have been a hard sell. I haven't heard any people raving about any new features in the Beta version, or indeed many threads about it full stop. :shrug:

Adobe have also upped their anti piracy measures, so it will be interesting to see if/when their security gets breached. :shrug:

I think with Win7, a lot of people bought machines pre-installed, and M$ have made it progressively harder for people to use pirated copies. There were also many people who didn't want to use Vista, so there were upgraders waiting for version of Windows which got a bit better press/reception. A lower price always helps of course. ;)

That said the usual UK £=$ rip off rate is working here meaning we pay nearly twice as much as the US for lightroom.

Hardly. The US price is around $149, that UK price is £104. That's only £11 more than a direct conversion.

The upgrade price isn't so good, but still only about £10 more than a direct conversion from $>£.

Last edited:
Hardly. The US price is around $149, that UK price is £104. That's only £11 more than a direct conversion.

The upgrade price isn't so good, but still only about £10 more than a direct conversion from $>£.

Plus don't forget the UK price includes VAT, where as by convention, the US price does not - it's added at the point of sale.

I've just bought and installed the upgrade when I had the educational licence before and it had absolutely no problems. As Lightroom 3 was already installed, it was even able to find my serial number from the previous version without me needed to dig it up!

According to DPReview, the US version is $149 and the European version is €109. And the Adobe website I linked to earlier has it for £103.88. Using XE.Com, the current UK exchange rate for $149 is €113 and £94. By previous conversion rip offs this is virtually nothing. In the past it would have been £149 regardless of the exchange rate. :bonk:

Still should be equal, but exchange rates are subject to change so they after factor that in a bit I would imagine.

Looks like I should type a bit quicker. ;)

I forgot to add that I think Adobe stated many months ago that they were no longer supporting Win XP. Many people still using it perfectly well, including me at work, but they have decided not support an OS which is over ten years old. May not be popular, but it's unpopular with less and less people. ;) Doesn't help if you have got it I know, but all the Adobe software benefits from a 64bit system and load of RAM, something XP lacks.

Last edited:
Cuchulainn said:
I've just bought and installed the upgrade when I had the educational licence before and it had absolutely no problems. As Lightroom 3 was already installed, it was even able to find my serial number from the previous version without me needed to dig it up!

Excellent :) thanks

Student & Teacher version £59.09 for full version with free shipping till 31st March

Just phoned the HR dept and they are doing my academic proof for me now :)

2W1yn.jpg

This is interesting. I was always under the impression you couldn't upgrade Student/Teacher editions, and had to purchase a new copy each time (continuing to use your student discount if it was still valid). Your post seems to suggest otherwise? Assuming you've purchased the upgrade version, not another Student edition?

I too am using LR3 purchased with an Educational discount and was looking into 'upgrading' it to LR4, as I liked the develop module changes. At the moment both the upgrade copy and the Student copy are selling for £60, but the upgrade one would prevent me having to go through the Student confirmation process all over again. (A pain as I used my brothers student status last time [with Adobe's permission I might add])

On a seperate note - in a recent web chat with Adobe, their representative confirmed I was able to purchase Student copies based on the fact I've got a 5yr old who's just started school! Little strange but I'm not complaining. Guess they're just pleased I'm not getting a dodgy copy!

Quidco are doing 10% cashback on Adobe products - http://www.quidco.com/adobe/

The website says 'expires in 30 hours', which I guess means midnight on Wednesday 7th March

I just paid £60.57 for a downloadable upgrade

Just pre-ordered mine from Amazon...the full version for £99.99.

Does anyone know (apart from the download direct from Adobe website) anywhere who has them in stock at the moment?

Morph3ous said:
This is interesting. I was always under the impression you couldn't upgrade Student/Teacher editions, and had to purchase a new copy each time (continuing to use your student discount if it was still valid). Your post seems to suggest otherwise? Assuming you've purchased the upgrade version, not another Student edition?
I bought the upgrade version and had no problems. I did this on version 1 to 2 as well and it worked fine then too!

I bought the upgrade version and had no problems. I did this on version 1 to 2 as well and it worked fine then too!

Excellent. Direct from Adobe too? If so, looks like this is the way I'll go about it. Saves the confirmation process like I say. Much easier/quicker.

I ordered LR4 upgrade from the Adobe site but still waiting on a license key :(

Contacted CS but they said it may take up to 48 hours,kinda naff for a download service tbh.

Talon said:
I ordered LR4 upgrade from the Adobe site but still waiting on a license key :(

Contacted CS but they said it may take up to 48 hours,kinda naff for a download service tbh.

Hmm, that's unusual. I had my key within a couple of minutes.

Have you reviewed the status of the order online? I got mine from that system rather than wait for the email.

The question for me is what are the main differences from Lightroom 3 and do they make it worth the outlay :thinking:.

Download the file and use it as a trail to see for yourself.

Hmm good point. Can you run versions 3 and 4 on the same PC?

Had a quick play with the full version following the upgrade. Has anyone else noticed sluggishness in the sliders on the develop module? Only happens on some images but would say it's around 1/3 of them

Note the Beta didn't work on Wix XP, and I don't think the full version does either.

it doesnt work on xp....... arrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!

Which means that anyone who wants to upgrade to LR4 has to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows. And most of us who run XP are running on older hardware that won't run 64-bit Windows, or at least won't run it at an acceptable speed. So, new PC, Windows 7, LR4... that adds up to quite a steep upgrade price.

Which means that anyone who wants to upgrade to LR4 has to upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows. And most of us who run XP are running on older hardware that won't run 64-bit Windows, or at least won't run it at an acceptable speed. So, new PC, Windows 7, LR4... that adds up to quite a steep upgrade price.

Why?
LR4 will run under Vista 32 bit.

Back