Lightroom 5 - ever fall over while importing images?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Seem to have a weird issue with Lightroom 5 on my iMac, connected directly to my 5D3 via USB cable. I have the camera set to save RAW to CF, and JPG Large to SD card. This is what's hapening:

- Turn off camera
- Connect USB cable
- Turn on Camera
- Close dirty photos app that auto opens on iMac trying to import pics!
- Fire up Lightroom
- Hit Import

Lightroom shows all the pics, jpegs and RAWs and allows all for import selection. Trouble is, it imports a few of both types of file then throws up a dialog box complaining import cannot be completed as a bunch of files are not available. I thought this was a one off, so restarted the process a number of times... everytime LR sees all the file and craps out part way through. Seemed to be the same files every time.

The USB cable is fine as I can use it to import those very same files to my iPads! Just can't get my head around it.

Any ideas from you lot, or any similar experiences?

Still the same error. In fact I've removed the SD card, reconnected and I'm still getting the same error.

Sussed it. Not a camera or LR issue at all- dodgy USB port on the iMac. It doesn't like usb3 thumb drives either :-(

Yay for Apple care

Apple USB ports seem typically poor, or have been designed to work reliably with Apple cables only. Heard quite a few complaints about USB issues - IIRC Yv mentioned problems recently on here - and the ports on my Macbook would only work OK with Apple cables.

Apple USB ports seem typically poor, or have been designed to work reliably with Apple cables only. Heard quite a few complaints about USB issues - IIRC Yv mentioned problems recently on here - and the ports on my Macbook would only work OK with Apple cables.

Yes after a ton more research I've found plenty of threads out there on the internet complaining about USB ports, especially when the Mac has a fusion drive (like mine). It appears the usb bus keeps hanging. Also affects external usb audio equipment especially badly.

At least I can work around it using the SD card reader. Just a shame I can't really use the CF card anymore.

Just for closure - finally got it working reliably again. Had to reset the PRAM on my iMac. I also got the same issues when attempting to import files off a USB stick plugged directly intot he USB ports (not through a hub). Unfortunately, despite the PRAM reset now giving me back working USB ports - the Mac appears to have killed two separate USB thumb drives! Can't recognise or format them even in my MBA or smart TVs.

Annoying. Luckily no damage to the camara.

Back