Lightroom and alternatives

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have lightroom 4 -unfortunately it seems to not be compatible with the RAW files of the Sony A7.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives or anywhere to get a newer version for a decent price?

Cheers,

Tom

Can you not use the Adobe DNG converter, convert your Sony RAWs into DNG and then import into LR??

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

I know it adds an extra stage to the process but it doesn't cost anything, otherwise if you want to stay with LR I'd just pay the CC subscription, its only '2 pints' a month!!!
Yes, agreed.
Use the DNG convertor. That's what I do with my Fuji files that LR5 doesn't recognise. The convertor is free which allows you to drink your two pints rather than give them to Adobe!

DNG is a lossless conversion supposedly retaining all the important information, merely stripping out the procedural bumph that is not needed when processing.

I use Lightroom CC mainly as Photoshop can come in handy sometimes too and they both can work well together.

It's not a massive expense each month although if Lightroom 5 supports these Raw files then I'd see if you can pick that up cheap somewhere and stick with that.
I haven't found that much has been added to Lightroom over the time I've had it and have wondered wether to just buy the most recent version.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives or anywhere to get a newer version for a decent price?
What do you consider a decent price? :thinking:

By still using LR4, it looks like you get your money's worth out of your software if you have had that awhile, so £104 doesn't seem extortionate if you are going to use it for a number of years.

Hi,

Did the Sony not come with a free license for Capture One?

I understand the Sony version is restricted compared to the full version, but the upgrade to the full version is meant to be at a very reasonable price. Although, I do use Capture One, I don't use Sony, so just going on what I have picked up on the forums, but may be worth looking into.

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:
What do you consider a decent price? :thinking:

By still using LR4, it looks like you get your money's worth out of your software if you have had that awhile, so £104 doesn't seem extortionate if you are going to use it for a number of years.
When I updated from LR4 to LR6 the upgrade price was £60. There's no need to buy LR6 at full price if you already have any version of Lightroom. You can upgrade via the adobe website.

Back