Lightroom and Photoshop update

But I'm not interested in buying the rights to use the picture that way - I want to have the picture to use in a non-commercial environment and just enjoy it. I wont buy an image under the terms you suggest.

Last edited:
Although the new masking tools look very good, I am having problems with some selections. I get an unexpected error message and have the restart the program. It looks like an issue with my GPU or possibly the whole system being out of date. I will check the specs and turn off the GPU in preferences.

Anyone else having these problems?

Although the new masking tools look very good, I am having problems with some selections. I get an unexpected error message and have the restart the program. It looks like an issue with my GPU or possibly the whole system being out of date. I will check the specs and turn off the GPU in preferences.

Anyone else having these problems?
Non here on an iMac

Anyone had any problems upgrading to the new version of L:ightroom? I know it should come automatically but i see you have to upgrade the catalogue.

You have to upgrade the catalog but it creates a new copy before upgrading so the old catalog will remain in place should you need to go back. If you're happy with the upgrade and feel you no longer need it then you can delete it.

No problem updating here. Only took a few seconds to do

You have to upgrade the catalog but it creates a new copy before upgrading so the old catalog will remain in place should you need to go back. If you're happy with the upgrade and feel you no longer need it then you can delete it.

No problem updating here. Only took a few seconds to do

Thanks; that is re-assuring.

I'm still looking into potential problems before starting the upgrade, and I see that you need Windows 10 v20H2 for the upgrade to work, but as far as I can see my version of W10 is v10.0.19044. That doesn't look too promising.....do you (or does anyone) know if it is possible to upgrade Windows 10?

Thanks; that is re-assuring.

I'm still looking into potential problems before starting the upgrade, and I see that you need Windows 10 v20H2 for the upgrade to work, but as far as I can see my version of W10 is v10.0.19044. That doesn't look too promising.....do you (or does anyone) know if it is possible to upgrade Windows 10?
Sorry, I'm a Mac user so can't help much with windows stuff.
However Windows 10 v20H2 seems to have been released late 2020 so unless you've not run any updates for the last couple of years you should be good to go.

20H2 = 2020 2nd Half

Last edited:
Am I the only one? Totally lost with LR new update and especially the mask. I had a good workflow but not really been doing any photo for a long time so my usage has gone done drastically. Still I used a lot of gradients and local brushes that fit my need but now it all looks like photoshop. If I wanted to use photoshop I would. I liked lightroom for what it was, now it seems very complicated. This might be an update too far for me, I am now struggling.

Am I the only one? Totally lost with LR new update and especially the mask. I had a good workflow but not really been doing any photo for a long time so my usage has gone done drastically. Still I used a lot of gradients and local brushes that fit my need but now it all looks like photoshop. If I wanted to use photoshop I would. I liked lightroom for what it was, now it seems very complicated. This might be an update too far for me, I am now struggling.

I am enjoying the new masking tools immensely. Occasionally, Lightroom disagrees with me about what object I have selected, which is a little frustrating, but I can usually find a way round it with a little persuasion.

Otherwise, if you just want to use brushes and linear and radial gradients without any of the other gubbins, they are still there.

All the old masking still works, it's just laid out a bit differently to accommodate the new features.

Find some videos on youtube and learn the new layout. It's really easy and much more powerful.

It's certainly not Photoshop.

I've got to admit, I really like the new masking tools. It makes processing life very easy; I almost worry that it's now too easy...... :)
Are you glad you bit the subscription bullet now?

I had to turn off my firewall and antivirus to get it to install after a long session with Adobe support to find the problem.

I have to say that I am enjoying the latest version. I still struggle with PS as I find the logic different.

I do agree that moving the buttons around is frustrating for some users, they even got rid of the Done button last time.

It's all still there, just under a different menu.

I find the new AI masking, Select Subject, Select Sky etc incredibly powerful and have started using it quite a lot in my images. Occasionally LR will make a weird selection but it's bang on about 95% of the time which is more than good enough for me. It's easy enough to add or subtract to the mask with the brush tool anyway, especially on the iPad

It's all still there, just under a different menu.

I find the new AI masking, Select Subject, Select Sky etc incredibly powerful and have started using it quite a lot in my images. Occasionally LR will make a weird selection but it's bang on about 95% of the time which is more than good enough for me. It's easy enough to add or subtract to the mask with the brush tool anyway, especially on the iPad
I’ve started to like the AI subject and skys masks. AI sky works very well. AI subject mask is pretty good but the mask can be adjusted with the add/subtract brushes.

I’ve started to like the AI subject and skys masks. AI sky works very well. AI subject mask is pretty good but the mask can be adjusted with the add/subtract brushes.

I know it was in the previous version, but AI Sky mask is a godsend. I love it.

I didn't think I'd use Background mask as it was a bit redundant as simply the inversion of Subject, but I'm warming to it. Quite handy to combine with a linear gradient for those times when sky isn't quite catching everything that needs controlling.

Select object is very good too. Just draw a rough selection around the object and it will quickly find the actual object.
I find it sometimes needs very serious finetuning in select and mask

Back